prefferences:

Glass is only appropriate for pygmies, from what I understand.

i know it can cause improper airflow im just trying to get everyones opinion :) my chams are all in mesh but i am considering switching them to exo terra's id set up a venalation system for the airflow but i just would like to know everyones expierences

Nothing wrong with glass or other solid walled enclosures, so long as there are some vents near the bottom andtop (chimney Effect). Indeed solid or semi solid walls can be preferred to mesh. It's the environment inside the cage that matters.
If the air temp and humidity of your location is close to the ambient needs of the cham, mess is good. But if you have low humidity or cold temps you'd be better off with a cage in which you'll be able tocreate and control the environment more easily.

Nothing wrong with glass or other solid walled enclosures, so long as there are some vents near the bottom andtop (chimney Effect). Indeed solid or semi solid walls can be preferred to mesh. It's the environment inside the cage that matters.
If the air temp and humidity of your location is close to the ambient needs of the cham, mess is good. But if you have low humidity or cold temps you'd be better off with a cage in which you'll be able tocreate and control the environment more easily.

Sandra is correct. Nothing wrong with them as long as they are designed properly

I prefer mesh because they're easier to move when needed and my house gets hot in the summer so screen helps keeps the temperatures in the preferred range with a good gradient. Nothing wrong with glass when used correctly though. Big glass cages are just so heavy!

My only issues with a glass terrarium are barrier recognition and reflections. I had a Senegal that would always stare at the glass an puff up or spend hours pawing at the glass trying to reach the other side.

If your environment dictates glass there are ways around this, but for me it was easier to just switch to screen.

thanks guys ill keep all that in mind. i live in utah and the temps are always so crazy and theres no humidity here im having issues with them shedding so im thinking of setting them all up in exo terras with proper ventalation and misting systems hoping it will help with the humidity i just worry about rubing, stress or infection. so im trying to get everyones opinions i guess they both work just a preference to the person

I have both and I keep the Exo-Terra in the living room because it just looks so much cleaner. Depending on what type of cham you keep in it, I think they are made pretty darn well. For a jackson that needs the extra moisture, the largest exo-terra seems to be just fine. Caution though, they are pricey, look for a sale at petsmart.

I like mesh better because glass can cause reflections, and also cause higher temps which can be way too high if you don't take precautions. Glass overall is okay though except for the cleaning and the heaviness. I like mesh because it just looks interesting and provides ventilation better than a glass cage.

I have both and I keep the Exo-Terra in the living room because it just looks so much cleaner. Depending on what type of cham you keep in it, I think they are made pretty darn well. For a jackson that needs the extra moisture, the largest exo-terra seems to be just fine. Caution though, they are pricey, look for a sale at petsmart.

thanks :) i already have all of them and most of them i got for free with trades im a bargainer all i need is the set up i think they will do a lot better and it will be a lot cleaner i have such a issue with mesh cages and water and cleaning because it floods so quick and gets dirty so fast but with exo terras its easier and i can put bio balls and dirt down to keep it cleaner im going to buy isopods and put them in there cage to keep the dirt clean and put a live plant i think it will be a lot better for my meller shes had her cage set up for a year and i havent done anything to it she has a huge tub of dirt about 10 gallons and a live tree in there and whenever she poos the tree takes it in as food so i never have to clean her cage just replace the top layer of dirt every so often since she never goes to the bottem and i have loved it the only thing is humidity is hard in utah but im going to try it ill keep you all posted on how it goes :)

Hey another Utah keeper!!! Where abouts are you? I'm in Kaysville, 20 minutes north of SLC.

Question is, what type of chameleon are you planning on keeping in the exos? I definitely think they are a great enclosure as long as home work is done. I have long wanted to keep Kinyongia in them but just have not got around to it yet. Do yourself a favor and get on a dart frog forum. Those guys really know how to set up Exo Terra terrariums.

Of course, you'll have to play around with it for awhile to get temps just right, etc. If you have access to a basement, i'd suggest keeping them there. My basement stays nice and cool in the summer but gets hot upstairs, and i'd worry a little bit.

Hey another Utah keeper!!! Where abouts are you? I'm in Kaysville, 20 minutes north of SLC.

Question is, what type of chameleon are you planning on keeping in the exos? I definitely think they are a great enclosure as long as home work is done. I have long wanted to keep Kinyongia in them but just have not got around to it yet. Do yourself a favor and get on a dart frog forum. Those guys really know how to set up Exo Terra terrariums.

Of course, you'll have to play around with it for awhile to get temps just right, etc. If you have access to a basement, i'd suggest keeping them there. My basement stays nice and cool in the summer but gets hot upstairs, and i'd worry a little bit.

i live in herriman :) mainly slc i have a herp group on facebook called herp freak you should join! trying to get as many utah members as i can :) i have panthers that i will be putting into the exo terras and i actually live in the basement xD i live in a basement apartment so its been perfect there all in mesh cages in my walk in closet the temps stay perfect in there i love it but i will be moving them into my room on the exo's if you join my group i recently posted pics of the set up i have set up for them i just got a 10 foot long cabinet top with cabinets to put them on and under it is where my water monitor is then i am putting my jackson cham couple in the closet (the closet has no door so its kinda like a small room) i need a bigger house!

Back
Top Bottom