praying mantis?

My ooths finally arrived today! and i had no clue you had to hang the eggs up to help the hatchling mantis’s hatch, but is there anyway to tell which way is the original way the egg was hatched? i’ve looked all over online but can’t find anything View attachment 352487

Usually the pointiest end is up… like your last ooth in the photo… the point on the bottom right is the top.

Here’s some I set up yesterday. I usually put them right in the enclosure, but need some for my cham sitter for an upcoming vacation.

IMG_3530.jpeg

I live in arizona, and there’s a place that’s like a two hour drive called Arbico Organics and i got them from there, it was really convenient for me but they also have a website!
Right on! Im gonna check them out! Thank you ☺️

Usually the pointiest end is up… like your last ooth in the photo… the point on the bottom right is the top.

Here’s some I set up yesterday. I usually put them right in the enclosure, but need some for my cham sitter for an upcoming vacation.

View attachment 352489
Ok, now I’m wondering if I’ve been hanging mine upside down. Out of the six that I have, none really have that point visible where mama mantis finished. This is what I’ve been assuming is the right orientation…am I doing it wrong?
IMG_5901.jpeg

Ok, now I’m wondering if I’ve been hanging mine upside down. Out of the six that I have, none really have that point visible where mama mantis finished. This is what I’ve been assuming is the right orientation…am I doing it wrong?
View attachment 352515
honestly i’m not so sure either lol, i think i find the spot where they come out but im sure? this is how i have mine hanged
IMG_3080.jpeg

View attachment 352515
Looks good to me! Mine are missing sticks making the point a little more prominent. The egg case is wider/rounder at tge bottom and tapers off at the top. That’s true for chinese mantids - carolina and european are a little trickier as they aren’t round.

I did hatch oothecas once, got them at Costco.

It was sooooo much work, got like 300 mantises, they were just pouring out, problem is you have to separate them or they cannibalise. So imagine having hundreds of cups to feed. I ended up letting em loose outside.

Fun project but I wouldn’t bother doing it again.

With that said, they are an excellent feeder!

It was sooooo much work, got like 300 mantises, they were just pouring out, problem is you have to separate them or they cannibalise. So imagine having hundreds of cups to feed. I ended up letting em loose outside.

that’s fascinating, i never knew costco would ever even sell those 🤔. I’ve heard a lot about the cannibalistic tendencies, i’m just hoping i’ll at least have 50-100 that grow to be big enough for him to actually enjoy them, i do have a huge storage container i can use that will maybe help with cannibalism if i need

I dont bother with seperating unless you want to grow them to adult size. My chams eat them like m&m’s as hatchlings. The ones that cannibalize just make dor a bigger snack later!

I kept some holdbacks in a large cricket keeper and kept them very well fed, so any cannibalism was at a minimum…I think. I was thinking of letting them hatch out in my chameleon enclosures, but that might result in my little hunters chowing down on all of them in one bite and no soil gnats being eradicated. :unsure:

I kept some holdbacks in a large cricket keeper and kept them very well fed, so any cannibalism was at a minimum…I think. I was thinking of letting them hatch out in my chameleon enclosures, but that might result in my little hunters chowing down on all of them in one bite and no soil gnats being eradicated. :unsure:
i’d love to hatch them out in my cage, but unfortunately i had to learn the hard way that making holes in the screen isn’t the way to attach branches. I’ve ordered 20 screen repair kits from framchams but that still wasn’t enough to cover all the holes 😅, so i can’t let any tiny insects out or they find their way out

Back
Top Bottom