Praying mantis

Crossingtami

Avid Member
I was at my local hardware store and saw that they are selling praying mantis egg cocoon things. Would these mantises be ok for my chams to eat when they hatch? Are they different? Are they cham safe since they from a hardware store vs. Reptile food sites?

I know in Canada you can order insects such as lady bugs and mantises to release in your yard to combat infestations of aphids and such. That might be the intention with the one you saw.

Yeah I used to get ladybirds for greenfly we where talking about them the other day dont know that ladybirds are ok for chams but I believe mantis are ( but I suppose it would depend on what they where fed ! ) see if you can get contact details for the supplier

I was at my local hardware store and saw that they are selling praying mantis egg cocoon things. Would these mantises be ok for my chams to eat when they hatch? Are they different? Are they cham safe since they from a hardware store vs. Reptile food sites?
I would think that they’d be fine.

Absolutely - I hatch them in my enclosure all the time. They are a great snack and as a bonus they handle soil gnats!

the home depot ones are fine but probably way overpriced. They are also hitting the point where you may not have a great hatch rate, as the ooths are usually laid in the winter and hatched by mid summer. My advice would be go for it, but dont gwt discouraged if it doesnt hatch (which can take 2-3 months). Instead, try again this winter but buy your ooths on ebay for a lot less!

Back
Top Bottom