Powersun UVB Bulb

Escalade

I'm moving my 4 month old panther to a permanent free range really soon and was thinking of getting a 100 watt powersun uvb bulb instead of hanging my reptisun 5.0 tube and a house bulb from the ceiling. I figure I can just hang a clamp lamp with the powersun bulb easier.

Is it safe to use a 100 watt powerson uvb bulb on such a young chameleon? I only ask because I hear you should only use those bulbs if you're an "experienced chameleon keeper"

I'm moving my 4 month old panther to a permanent free range really soon and was thinking of getting a 100 watt powersun uvb bulb instead of hanging my reptisun 5.0 tube and a house bulb from the ceiling. I figure I can just hang a clamp lamp with the powersun bulb easier.

Is it safe to use a 100 watt powerson uvb bulb on such a young chameleon? I only ask because I hear you should only use those bulbs if your an "experienced chameleon keeper"

Get your self a really good temp gauge and a temp gun make sure he can not get to.it what so ever and get a uv reader and you should be good. Better safe then sorry. I use one on one of my wc chams that's the only bulb he does good under everyone else is on a basking bulb and 5.0

Is it safe to use a 100 watt powerson uvb bulb on such a young chameleon? I only ask because I hear you should only use those bulbs if you're an "experienced chameleon keeper"

I would recommend getting the deep dome fixture if you decide to go with the powersun and keep it at least 12" from his basking spot.

Mercury vapour bulbs are what I've used for years... They require a different approach than the traditional UV tube & basking bulb rig, but have worked well in my set-ups for years. In my experience they don't put out as much heat as you would think... but you still need you to be aware... If you are able to monitor temps accurately it should be fine. I tip my bulbs so the beam is NOT beaming straight down @ a 12 o'clock noon angle. If you can hit your chams basking spot at near a 45 degree angle to simulate early morning sun these bulbs work well with little chance of burns. At this angle They offer a much more natural basking experience for your chams. Cheers!

Mercury vapour bulbs are what I've used for years... They require a different approach than the traditional UV tube & basking bulb rig, but have worked well in my set-ups for years. In my experience they don't put out as much heat as you would think... but you still need you to be aware... If you are able to monitor temps accurately it should be fine. I tip my bulbs so the beam is NOT beaming straight down @ a 12 o'clock noon angle. If you can hit your chams basking spot at near a 45 degree angle to simulate early morning sun these bulbs work well with little chance of burns. At this angle They offer a much more natural basking experience for your chams. Cheers!

same here/..they really are perfect for free range (lil too much for cages, but just right for a large open air set up)

here is my set up (im using the powersun 100 w)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRsnMrc2M5w

powersuns are not a good lamp to use in free ranges. I have watched people try to use them and this person had all kinds of issues.

Not to mention you shouldn't use one without a UVB meter and a temp gun.

in my free ranges I just use 10.0 linear tubes along side 6500K lamps with basking lamps in different areas. A powersun will make one place have some light..... if you aren't using any other lights... imagine sitting in a closet with now windows and just a single light bulb hanging from the ceiling to light up the room, not very nice.

powersuns are not a good lamp to use in free ranges. I have watched people try to use them and this person had all kinds of issues.

Not to mention you shouldn't use one without a UVB meter and a temp gun.

in my free ranges I just use 10.0 linear tubes along side 6500K lamps with basking lamps in different areas. A powersun will make one place have some light..... if you aren't using any other lights... imagine sitting in a closet with now windows and just a single light bulb hanging from the ceiling to light up the room, not very nice.

What type of problems? The penetration and useable spread of the power sun is much more than any linear bulb will allow. In the past there were problems with some MV bulbs but those were not the power sun.

While I will admit it is dependent on your free range setup. If you are gonna let them roam large areas of course you are going to need additional lighting.

thanks for the replys guys, i'm just going to start off by hanging my linear uvb light fixture from the ceiling along with my basking lamp then eventually when I need to get a new uvb I'll switch to the 100 watt powersun.

Used the powersun for 3 years

I have been using the powersun for over 3 yrs with great success but like summoner said it definitely doesnt put out enough light. So along with it I use 2t8 6500kelvin linear tube lights. I do use it with my cages and havent had any problems but then again I position it at a 45degree angle and I have a uvb meter. I also use the 5.0 and incandescent bulb for heat on some of my cages without the MVB. I find that if one of my chams is in a funk ie: hunger strike and so forth if I use the powersun for a few days it snaps them out of it. This is all speculation and my experience as we are all trying to mimick nature but she is a bitch to figure out lol.

As I have read (I forget who sorry!)

"lighting isn't a lamp, its a process"

What I think people need to remember is that MV lamps are made for reptiles that bask in direct sunlight and are not for animals like chameleons that take in UVB early and late in the day when it is at a lower value. MV lamps are for desert animals and are meant to make high levels of heat and UVB for an animal like a bearded dragon (I don't use MV lamps on my beardy.... she gets two 10.0 and a PAR20 spot lamp)... My point is that I have been doing free ranges for several years and find that linear fixtures should be hung over the entire free range, be it a tree or several trees. These animals have light coming in through the tree tops in almost all directions as the light is reflected off of plants and trees... as it shines through the canopy. So hanging a single lamp from a cord in an area near the tree is nuts to me. Maybe you do use the MV lamp, but above it hang full spectrum linear lamps. I am still in need of this device..... but get a Lux meter, go outside and take some measures of light in the shade and then do the same in several places in your free range or cage.... they won't compare. I have five 48" dual T8 fixtures and one 36" T12 fixture on my free range that is only 28 square feet. I also have three basking places for the three chameleons that are in the free range. I also keep the window blinds turned so that natural light comes into the room. On my other free range I have one dual T8 48" fixture and one 36" dual T12 fixture of that free range and it is only 8 square feet. These guys need a lot of lights to make it even close to what they would normally get outside.

The simple, heat lamp, UVB lamp combo for a cage is just to get you to buy the animal.... the reality is that you truly need a dual linear fixture with a heat lamp and maybe a fixture hung above the cage lighting up the room to add some general light. I often look at my cages that have that setup and think 'that seems dark...'

cages and smaller free range...

IMG_1510.jpg

bigger free range

IMG_1535.jpg

how I hang my heat lamps...

light1.jpg

I would recommend getting the deep dome fixture if you decide to go with the powersun and keep it at least 12" from his basking spot.

I did end up getting a powersun bulb why do you recommend I get a deep dome fixture? Most setups ive seen so far don't have any any hood or dome at all just the bulb.

Just curious if I really need it

My rescue came from a 100 powersun, the vet (herp) believes because it was too strong for him, he didnt bask enough, and didnt get proper uv either, and I had to treat his MBD because of it

But that is just my experience, and only one result. Most here have more experience than I do, so this what happened to me and only 1 cham

just mke sure you have about 16 inches of room away, and no possible way to touch the light fixture..also i use a good standard ceramic bulb housing to hold my lights(safer)..

Back
Top Bottom