power outages

That depends on how long the outage lasts. Thankfully (knock on every last piece of wood!) I’ve only had very short outages and I’ve had to do nothing. If the outage lasts a day, I won’t worry…just open the curtains for natural light, open the room door for more ventilation and hand mist. If the outage will last several days, I’ll have to take my chams outside daily for a short time for some natural sun. While I’m outside and hearing all the generators running in my neighborhood, I’ll also be cursing myself for not buying one.

Power outages during summer is a bit easier to deal with... Your just opening windows for airflow so it doesnt get overly hot and letting the light in so the cham does not get confused. Hand misting frequently to keep temps down, Ice packs on top of the cage can help cool it if its too hot. Adding a dripper to the top so that the cham can drink as needed. Etc.

It is a different story in the winter though especially if your temps drop too low. Too low meaning when they get below 50. This is when having a backup option is a good idea. Heat packs that you can put on top of the cage. Wrapping the cage so that heat stays in if it is screen, leaving the service door and top screen unobstructed for airflow. I have something I can hook up to my car to be able to run fixtures from. I do have to run my car to do this though. Others have generators. So it does not become a worry about UVB because as already mentioned it takes weeks for them to be impacted. It is all about temps and making sure they do not get too cold.

Power outages during summer is a bit easier to deal with... Your just opening windows for airflow so it doesnt get overly hot and letting the light in so the cham does not get confused. Hand misting frequently to keep temps down, Ice packs on top of the cage can help cool it if its too hot. Adding a dripper to the top so that the cham can drink as needed. Etc.

It is a different story in the winter though especially if your temps drop too low. Too low meaning when they get below 50. This is when having a backup option is a good idea. Heat packs that you can put on top of the cage. Wrapping the cage so that heat stays in if it is screen, leaving the service door and top screen unobstructed for airflow. I have something I can hook up to my car to be able to run fixtures from. I do have to run my car to do this though. Others have generators. So it does not become a worry about UVB because as already mentioned it takes weeks for them to be impacted. It is all about temps and making sure they do not get too cold.

Good points. Luckily, most places that would have winter temps capable of quickly dropping the house below 50, don’t experience prolonged power outages during winter. Not IME at least. They realize it is a life or death emergency for people even and get it back on ASAP.

It does happen though, Texas a year or two got screwed up.

Hey guys I know this is an older thread, but I would love some opinions on my current situation and possible upcoming situation. Colorado is having some crazy snow coming in and power outages have already started to be reported.

What would you guys advise if our power went out and it’s cold? Would Nachitos hybrid enclosure hold heat in?

Luckily you don’t have a whole lot of chameleons…so one option is to put her in a pet pal (small cage) for the time it’s off and get some heat packs…but if you use them to keep the cage warm…don’t put the packs somewhere that the chameleon can lean on them or stand on them.
https://firstaidzone.ca/uniheat-72-hr-shipping-warmer-heat-pack-1789.html

You can even get reusable heat packs….but pay attention to how you have to “recharge” them to reuse them.

Pet keeper…
https://www.petsmart.ca/reptile/hab...V8IdaBR0s0QcQEAQYBiABEgIhIPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I would wrap the pet keeper in a beach towel to keep the heat in but leave a little area open for airflow.

Back
Top Bottom