Power Outage

UrbanChameleon

Our power went out last night, and it won't be on for another two days. The temperature in the house is 72F right now. It will probably get a little hotter throughout the day, considering it's summer. Will they be okay even without their basking spot for that long? They've been waking and falling back asleep since the power went out since everything is pitch black. Any help and recommendations are more than welcome. Thanks.

Temps shouldn't be an issue, it's like being overcast for a few days. Try and at least give them light otherwise they may sleep alot. Solar lighting or even gas if well ventilated? Portable LED lights work well too. Not fun without power for so long.

Is it nice and sunny outside? Maybe get them out there for the day if it's not too hot. Just make sure they're contained if you can't be out there with them, and that they're misted often and have adequate shade if it is warm out.

Temps shouldn't be an issue, it's like being overcast for a few days. Try and at least give them light otherwise they may sleep alot. Solar lighting or even gas if well ventilated? Portable LED lights work well too. Not fun without power for so long.

That's what I figured. Thank you for clarifying. I'll see if I can figure something out to get the room lit up a bit more.

Is it nice and sunny outside? Maybe get them out there for the day if it's not too hot. Just make sure they're contained if you can't be out there with them, and that they're misted often and have adequate shade if it is warm out.

I have taken them outside during a power outage in the past. The storm keeps hitting on and off, and all I have are aluminum cages. I don't want to run the chance of electrocuting them. Their cages are too big to carry outside, but I still have one of their baby cages. Once everything clears up and the sun comes out, I can probably alternate taking them outside.

Outage

Hi, Be careful about putting them outdoors, unattended. If a big bird or cat really wants him, they will get him. I had that happen with a parakeet in a cage, hung high in a tree. :eek:
We had a power outage this past winter for 51 hours! Our family room got down to 47 degrees! I lost a very large blue discus fish, and the only way my lovebird lived was because I kept putting him in my armpit throughout the day and night. Since I now have 3 chams, I will be purchasing a propane heater from Lowes/Home Depot. They have ones that are SAFE for indoors and they have doubles so you can face them in 2 directions. I do not want to loose any more pets! Hope this helps others who live in cold climates.

Back
Top Bottom