Pothos question

Dexter2021

I tried searching online and asked some plant nurseries about my neon pothos with little to no help and I’m getting frustrated now. Can anyone help with determining what the heck is going on? My leaves are getting little brown spots on them now that it’s in his enclosure. The middles of the spots are starting to turn into holes as well. I have the 70 watt sansi led grow light off to the side so it’s not hitting the plant directly. I have not misted that pothos once those spots started appearing as the local nursery said it could be the start of leaf spot. I only water it when my finger comes out dry. No misting system, just a handheld pump sprayer here.

I am starting to see more and more pop up now and I went through and removed the leaves I could find. Any help would be appreciated. Fake plants were so much easier then live!

thanks

edit- I washed the plant and repotted the thing when purchased. This didn’t appear until it started getting misted when I sprayed his enclosure down on the very lightest setting on my mister!

I tried searching online and asked some plant nurseries about my neon pothos with little to no help and I’m getting frustrated now. Can anyone help with determining what the heck is going on? My leaves are getting little brown spots on them now that it’s in his enclosure. The middles of the spots are starting to turn into holes as well. I have the 70 watt sansi led grow light off to the side so it’s not hitting the plant directly. I have not misted that pothos once those spots started appearing as the local nursery said it could be the start of leaf spot. I only water it when my finger comes out dry. No misting system, just a handheld pump sprayer here.

I am starting to see more and more pop up now and I went through and removed the leaves I could find. Any help would be appreciated. Fake plants were so much easier then live!

thanks

edit- I washed the plant and repotted the thing when purchased. This didn’t appear until it started getting misted when I sprayed his enclosure down on the very lightest setting on my mister!
can you post some pics of it and the position in the cage?

Here is a leaf I removed, the plant is up in the upper right back corner. Basking light is on the other side. Ambient temp no higher then 80 degrees.

Attachments

• 233F13A0-B88F-4C01-AE1E-CFC0E7FDAA12.jpeg
    233F13A0-B88F-4C01-AE1E-CFC0E7FDAA12.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 110
Here is a leaf I removed, the plant is up in the upper right back corner. Basking light is on the other side. Ambient temp no higher then 80 degrees.
Ok so it does not look like the typical brown spots from too much or too little water. Or too much light. Are you seeing it on any other plants? The tiny spots look more like what little bugs like to do. They poke tiny holes in the underside of the leaf.

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 11.02.04 AM.png

Take a look https://smartgardenguide.com/brown-spots-on-houseplant-leaves/

I did see that possibility. I really only notice it on this one. I did just find a few leaves like this though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 86
If I need to replace, then I have to start looking now. I live in Wisconsin and places are getting rid of their house plants until spring. Temps are low enough now that I can’t order online anymore.

Your first pic looks like bugs. Your second one looks like too much sun. It is strange though because I have a Pothos that has grown to dang near touch the top of the enclosure with no "sun burn". What other plants do you have in the enclosure? Can you move the plant light up or away without sacrificing your other plants?

Your first pic looks like bugs. Your second one looks like too much sun. It is strange though because I have a Pothos that has grown to dang near touch the top of the enclosure with no "sun burn". What other plants do you have in the enclosure? Can you move the plant light up or away without sacrificing your other plants?

Is golden (aka Neon) pothos is more sensitive to sun than the other varieties more commonly sold in shops?

Fake plants were so much easier. The second pic was a leaf underneath a bunch of others so no idea on to much light. I already have the plant light angled towards his basking area and of to the left side as he was trying to bask under it if it went straight down. I have a total of 3 pothos (the one on the side will be removed once the dwarf umbrella on the bottom grows in) and the dwarf umbrella of course. House plants are insanely hard to find this year it seems locally.

Is golden (aka Neon) pothos is more sensitive to sun than the other varieties more commonly sold in shops?
I have been wondering that. Again I can’t seem to find any answers. When I see that question, it goes unanswered everywhere.

So, the neon pothos is not the same as the golden pothos. Golden pothos are a darker green with variegated (sometimes) leaves. Neon are bright green with very thin leaves, thinner than other pothos. I'd move the neon to a lower area of your enclosure. My guess is it is getting to much light since it has such thin leaves.

Even with your grow light pointed away, it's still pretty direct since your neon pothos is high in the enclosure. Maybe swap it with the pothos that's just below the neon.

Here are some helpful links:

https://www.plantindex.com/neon-pothos/#:~:text=The neon pothos will thrive in light conditions that are above moderate.&text=Avoid direct light exposure as,a lot of direct sunlight.

https://gardenforindoor.com/neon-pothos-vs-golden-pothos/
i think I will do just that. Might leave the neon out and treat it for any potential bugs. I found a single leaf that has a bunch of white stuff under it. I have a golden I think on the lower opposite side that was doing fantastic when I had everything set up in my kitchen. The neon was just bigger with more length so I put that up higher.

removed the neon, I sprayed it down with soapy water focusing on the undersides of the leaves. And I will re-pot the thing again. Going to find some pure Castile soap and do a diy insecticide soap tonight with ro water. (Very hard tap water here) Might also do all my other plants as well since I’m moving the other large pothos up top. Don’t want to do this again.

He is not happy with me at all removing his new plants already.

Yeah neon and satin pothos tend to be really tempermental. Satin's hate having water sitting on their leaves. Neons can have a harder time with light. I tend to stick with the golden, marble queens, and the njoy pothos. Those seem to be more hardy and handle what we throw at them in cages. Granted I am currently killing one because it is positioned under a misting head lol. I keep multiple though so I can switch them out as needed.

And yes live can be annoying but it is worth it in the end because it is better for them.

Yeah neon and satin pothos tend to be really tempermental. Satin's hate having water sitting on their leaves. Neons can have a harder time with light. I tend to stick with the golden, marble queens, and the njoy pothos. Those seem to be more hardy and handle what we throw at them in cages. Granted I am currently killing one because it is positioned under a misting head lol. I keep multiple though so I can switch them out as needed.

And yes live can be annoying but it is worth it in the end because it is better for them.
I found 2 goldens within 2 hours of me over the summer, and that’s all. Went to steins and holy plants! I saw some marbles that were smaller and am thinking of going back for one. They had 2 neons that had some long vines so I just grabbed one for some more color. Guess I should have looked a bit closer before putting it in there.

i repotted it and sprayed the daylights out of it, how long should I wait before putting it back in there? I’m having a hard time finding Castile soap that is not scented with anything. This one seems to be his favorite plant too.

Last edited:
I found 2 goldens within 2 hours of me over the summer, and that’s all. Went to steins and holy plants! I saw some marbles that were smaller and am thinking of going back for one. They had 2 neons that had some long vines so I just grabbed one for some more color. Guess I should have looked a bit closer before putting it in there.

i repotted it and sprayed the daylights out of it, how long should I wait before putting it back in there? I’m having a hard time finding Castile soap that is not scented with anything. This one seems to be his favorite plant too.
If it is bugs then you need to separate it from all other plants then ID what kind of pest for treatment. I am really the worst about this though. When a plant with pests come in I tend to trash them. I have too many plants in my office to separate a pest ridden plant out. I have had the best luck with Pothos over all other plants. Seems like they are the only ones I have gotten without extra friends. Dracaena tend to be good too for me.

Back
Top Bottom