Post your dream chameleon species

skoram

Established Member
If you could have any chameleon regardless of price, import restrictions, size, husbandry requirements, spouse approval, etc., what would it be?

My top 3 (in no particular order):

Calumma uetzi
Bradypodion damaranum
Bradypodion pumilum

These 3 are all similar in that they can display a variety of colors - greens, yellows, reds, blues, etc. together at once. I also find myself attracted to smaller species - I guess they seem "cuter" to me.

The first 2 on my list are a total pipe dream but I do hope to one day obtain some B. pumilum from captive breeders in Europe. Could probably order some now through a local shop but given that I'd probably be paying around $2K for a pair I want to make sure my husbandry is absolutely down pat before any serious consideration.

I am in love with the uetzi as well. Just stunning.

And the dorsal spikes on Furcifer antimena make me want to give them a try some day.

Archaius tigris is endangered, or it would be on my list.

Of course with most of these it's a case of an image in your mind vs. reality:

The Expectation...

dream.jpg

The Reality...

actual.jpg

Definitely a Furcifer Pardalis!

I agree this is my favorite but since I already have 3, the "dream" has shifted to reality :ROFLMAO:

I am in love with the uetzi as well. Just stunning.

And the dorsal spikes on Furcifer antimena make me want to give them a try some day.

Archaius tigris is endangered, or it would be on my list.

Calumma uetzi of course :p.

Have there been any cases of misidentified C. uetzi brought into captivity? I have not heard or read of anything but there is always the possibility ....

Of course with most of these it's a case of an image in your mind vs. reality:

The Expectation...

View attachment 260354

The Reality...

View attachment 260355

The top photo is hilarious! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

One of the reasons I made this thread is to find out about other cool species of chameleon I may not be familiar with. I never knew there was a species Archaius tigris until today. Based on that bottom photo though, I'm not so sure it's a good match for its namesake ...

Trioceros jacksonii jacksonii
Trioceros johnstoni
Trioceros melleri

Bonus since I already have the first one
Trioceros hoehnelii
Actually I'll just take the whole genus might as well dream big.

As far as uniqueness goes, Trioceros has some really fantastic candidates:

http://www.chameleondatabase.com/portfolio-item/trioceros-montium/
http://www.chameleondatabase.com/portfolio-item/trioceros-cristatus/
http://www.chameleondatabase.com/portfolio-item/trioceros-narraioca/

I don't know anything about this species (Trioceros oweni) but I absolutely love this photo (credit Cody Pope via chameleondatabase.com):

t_oweni02.jpg

It's hard not to want every color and form variation, even though it's so important to give each their individual requirements.

It's the same reason I never have killifish:
I know myself, and I would end up with tanks and plastic shoeboxes of eggs on every flat surface of my house, driving all across the country to pick up a variation I didn't already have, and no wife. LOL

Back
Top Bottom