post 6 mos. feedings: frequency & amounts?

cham_urchin

Established Member
Hi guys - my veiled male Pete is hitting the approx. 6 mos old mark. I've read and heard said that feedings should go to every other day now. Wondering why skip a day, rather than just cutting quantity in half and continuing to feed every day? ( I'm feeding dusted gutloaded crickets, silkies, dubias and BSFL, occasional hornworms and waxworms) I'd appreciate anyone's opinions/experience on this one. Thanks!

Hi guys - my veiled male Pete is hitting the approx. 6 mos old mark. I've read and heard said that feedings should go to every other day now. Wondering why skip a day, rather than just cutting quantity in half and continuing to feed every day? ( I'm feeding dusted gutloaded crickets, silkies, dubias and BSFL, occasional hornworms and waxworms) I'd appreciate anyone's opinions/experience on this one. Thanks!
Nope not yet hun. He is still growing. You want to do every other day when he hits the 9-10 month mark. You should see him cut back on his own as well. We skip a day because they get fat eating every day. You will also be limiting his feeder amount as well.

Nope not yet hun. He is still growing. You want to do every other day when he hits the 9-10 month mark. You should see him cut back on his own as well. We skip a day because they get fat eating every day. You will also be limiting his feeder amount as well.
When should you start to do every other day with a female veiled?

Hm, I'm confused. This is from the care sheet for Veileds on this site:
Neonates: as many small crickets as they can eat several times a day
Juveniles 3-6 months of age: 10-12 small crickets daily
Juveniles 6-12 months of age: 10-12 medium crickets every other day
Adults over 12 months of age: 7-10 medium-large crickets every other day

Aside from frequency, seems to me that calories are calories, whether they are consumed over 24 or 48 hours. Whether its 6 crickets/day or 12 every other, its the calories that count, right? They wouldn't be eating every other day in the wild...they'd eat whenever a meal presented itself.

Hm, I'm confused. This is from the care sheet for Veileds on this site:
Neonates: as many small crickets as they can eat several times a day
Juveniles 3-6 months of age: 10-12 small crickets daily
Juveniles 6-12 months of age: 10-12 medium crickets every other day
Adults over 12 months of age: 7-10 medium-large crickets every other day

Aside from frequency, seems to me that calories are calories, whether they are consumed over 24 or 48 hours. Whether its 6 crickets/day or 12 every other, its the calories that count, right? They wouldn't be eating every other day in the wild...they'd eat whenever a meal presented itself.
I spoke to quite a few people about the every other day thing. I was advised to curb back at 6 months to like 10 to 12 feeders but to keep him on every day until he was 9 months old or so because they are still growing. Keep getting other input on this but this is what I did.

I spoke to quite a few people about the every other day thing. I was advised to curb back at 6 months to like 10 to 12 feeders but to keep him on every day until he was 9 months old or so because they are still growing. Keep getting other input on this but this is what I did.
OK, makes sense. As soon as I can get a good photo of my reclusive guy I am going to ask for age estimates...not really sure how old he is.

Yes it’s usually around 10 to 12 months . Though if this is a male no need for 2 days a week . I’ve not read the whole thread either . I’m sorry if I’m only repeating what’s already said .

Yes it’s usually around 10 to 12 months . Though if this is a male no need for 2 days a week . I’ve not read the whole thread either . I’m sorry if I’m only repeating what’s already said .
Thanks. Just want to be sure I'm understanding.... no need for 2 days a week? (yes, I have a male, approx 6 mos now.) So...reduce feeding to every other day when he is 10-12 mos old? Keep feeding amounts the same?

Thanks. Just want to be sure I'm understanding.... no need for 2 days a week? (yes, I have a male, approx 6 mos now.) So...reduce feeding to every other day when he is 10-12 mos old? Keep feeding amounts the same?
For my males at 1 I go to every other day . If they state to get heavy a will either go to 3 days or just cut back on feeders after the year . While growing you want to feed well . Your boy is still young .

Back
Top Bottom