Possible to use old cans of great stuff foam(never opened)?

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have 10+ can of great stuff pond and stone I had sitting around for an old project I never did lol. Didn't realize they apparently have best by dates. Well I have to foam some things up and 2 cans now wouldn't dispense the foam, but I could hear the liquid shaking inside. When i screwed the dispenser on and pressed down the nozzle broke off, on both of them. So wondering if there is any way to salvage these?

I have 10+ can of great stuff pond and stone I had sitting around for an old project I never did lol. Didn't realize they apparently have best by dates. Well I have to foam some things up and 2 cans now wouldn't dispense the foam, but I could hear the liquid shaking inside. When i screwed the dispenser on and pressed down the nozzle broke off, on both of them. So wondering if there is any way to salvage these?
You could try getting the Pro nozzle and see if that works. However, for the price of the nozzle vs loss of 2 cans, it kind of works itself out to similar loss.

There are some serious horror stories of people trying to reuse opened cans or to fix broken needles of great stuff. The cans can explode and have devastating consequences. If you Google it you’ll see all sorts of photos of people who had to get skin graphs and such from that. Not worth the risk.

If they’re brand new but expired, then you can try to use them. I’ve heard that they don’t expand very well past their shelflife so you may need more cans. My concern would be whether or not they cure fully. I can imagine having to clean up gobs of uncured great foam. I have a few old cans and debating what to do with them myself.

Why Using Expired Spray Foam Can Be Risky

Can I use expired Great Stuff foam?

One-time use of the can should be expected. Do not force the nozzle of expired or partially used cans or cans with valves sealed shut. Foam inside the can continually dries or cures at a slow rate. Each can is marked with an expiration date, beyond which the contents may have cured and be unable to spray.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...8095d125.pdf&usg=AOvVaw093R7kL-0ImP1eh0wriWkR

out of date polyurethane foam products (google search)

There are some serious horror stories of people trying to reuse opened cans or to fix broken needles of great stuff. The cans can explode and have devastating consequences. If you Google it you’ll see all sorts of photos of people who had to get skin graphs and such from that. Not worth the risk.

If they’re brand new but expired, then you can try to use them. I’ve heard that they don’t expand very well past their shelflife so you may need more cans. My concern would be whether or not they cure fully. I can imagine having to clean up gobs of uncured great foam. I have a few old cans and debating what to do with them myself.
Why add another thing in life for me to be scared of nat whyyyyyy😭😭😭😭

Well damn. I just figured maybe some foam would spill out. I was like jamming things into the can trying to get them to spray... almost got the Darwin award! None of them are used, but since they're 3 years expired, I guess they got to go 😭😭😭 so much money down the drain. Now how does one dispose of these? Probably not safe to throw them in my trash lol.

Well damn. I just figured maybe some foam would spill out. I was like jamming things into the can trying to get them to spray... almost got the Darwin award! None of them are used, but since they're 3 years expired, I guess they got to go 😭😭😭 so much money down the drain. Now how does one dispose of these? Probably not safe to throw them in my trash lol.
Sometimes auto and hardware stores will take them to dispose of them for free. Otherwise around here the only place is tge dump (and they separate them too)

I have used expired cans that were previously unopened. They were less than a year out of date. They worked but didn’t expand as much as usual but worked ok. I left them to cure a few days before I checked them and they did.

I have used expired cans that were previously unopened. They were less than a year out of date. They worked but didn’t expand as much as usual but worked ok. I left them to cure a few days before I checked them and they did.
Mine won't even spray and they're 3 years expired lol

You mean the posthumous Darwin award!!

Foam inside the can continually dries or cures at a slow rate. Each can is marked with an expiration date, beyond which the contents may have cured and be unable to spray.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...79-15047.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1oRNut54uP7ew_JnCNoQ8u

Disposal of full or partially used aerosol cans must be in
compliance with all federal, state/provincial and local laws and
regulations. Regulations vary in different locations.
If in doubt, contact your local waste coordinator.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...79-15047.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1oRNut54uP7ew_JnCNoQ8u

Back
Top Bottom