Possible shed linked issue?

Docility

Ok so Ocillie has been shedding, and hes growing good, but he keeps sucking his eyes in like if they get water in their eyes they will suck them in and move them around to clear it. i think his eyes are itching him and he keeps doing this and closing his eyes for minutes at a time. this just started during his shedding. he also has some shed stuck on his tail, but no visible on his eyes. ideas?

also could this be a decreased vit A issue?
also would like to add he is still active when his eyes are open, and his grip is super strong.

(Glass, Screen, Combo?) Screen
What are the dimensions? 2x2x5 (lxwxh) Feet
What brand, model and types of lighting are you using? Zilla 5.0 uvb 36 in/100w UVA Blue (ambient heat source) / 75w Day spot for basking (bask range at 2 ft from bulb, and 85F)
What is your daily lighting schedule? 12pm-12am
What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? 60-90F
Lowest overnight temp? 68F
How do you measure these temps? dig thermometer
What are your humidity levels? 40%-80% (higher right after misting of course)
How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Mist king mister
What do you use to measure humidity? Digi Hydrometer
Are you using live plants?yes
If so, what kind? Draconis (corn tree) Phoenix palm
Where is your cage located? my room
Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? no
At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 5ft
Where are you geographically located? NE USA

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon-yes
The species-Veiled
sex-male
age of your chameleon- ~ 6 months
How long has it been in your care? ~2 1/2 months
How often do you handle your chameleon? 2-3 times a week sometimes less ect
What are you feeding your cham? Crickets
What amount? 6 a day seems to be what he likes.
What is the schedule? cup feed so they are always there
How are you gut-loading your feeders? Leafy greens (not iceburg), Oranges
What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with? Zoomed Ca with D3/ Tetrafuna Multi Vitamin (cant find straight Ca so waiting on it to get here)
what is the schedule? 1 week of D3 ( around 12-18 light dusted) 2 weeks of Vitamin Suppliment (no preformed Vit A just beteacarotene i also rotate the weeks)
What kind of watering technique do you use? auto mister
How often and how long to you mist? 4 times a day (2min in the morning/8min at 3pm/ 5min at 7:30/ 6min at 11:45pm)
Do you see your chameleon drinking? sometimes
Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings? solid white urates, and fully digested fecal pattern dark brown/black (the standard poop color)
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? was supposed to have a clean bill of health at the petstore

poorocillie007.jpg

poorocillie008.jpg

poorocillie009.jpg

Last edited:
The same thing happened to me in February. Have you upped misting? Fred gets such terrible sheds that I'm about to buy a humidifier.

Try upping hydration as much as possible while he sheds, though I'm sure you already know this. If he starts to close his eyes, then you might want to consider a vit def.

he can use and track with them very well. when he has them open. its almost as if he hasnt slept or something? either way im going to get a low dose of preformed vit A from the pharmacy, and give him a very very small amount.

i honestly just think he is really tired. he keeps going into PJ mode. maybe they new addition of the Mistking has stressed him out and he didnt sleep much. either way im keeping a close eye on the situation.

he seems to be doing a little better after his shower (update)

Last edited:
Okay so his eyes HAVE closed? Oh. I guess you said so earlier, sorry I missed that.
If I were you I'd set up a vet appointment just in case. Fred started closing his eyes for a bit, and then as the days continued he closed his eyes often, and then totally. I'd use some preventative measures.

if i had the money i would im completely broke for at least 2 weeks, and the closest Herpetology vet is in Columbus, OH 3 hrs away. im hoping this will correct its self, but i will get him to the vet ASAP when i can =( sucks being a college student.

he has shown a substantial increase in movement/ eye awareness after his shower. maybe he had dry eyes. like stated b4 i will monitor this and update

I understand the feeling. I'm a premedicine student and cannot work except the weekends, so my husband pays for our house, our two cars, the bills. Fortunately the vet isn't that expensive. Injections, checkup and fecal for me was only sixty dollars. :)

Upping hydration is a good idea. Mist him A LOT. Keep him relatively moist so that the shed can go easier.

he normally doesnt have issues with it, but for some reason this one is kinda sticking to him. but he just shed like 4 days ago now again. hes getting huge!

his coloration patterns are good now as well as his eye movement i have been staring at him for like 20 mins, and he hasnt closed an eye yet and is looking at me like im an idiot lol

and hes now back to closing his eyes =/

any ideas other than the obvious take him to a vet if it persists?

so i managed to get in contact with a local that referred me to a vet in the area! so we did a consult. he said it was where the stress was high, and where he is shedding he was probably up during the night trying to remove the excess, and referred me to get something at walmart it has 5000ui A/ 400ui D. little gel capsule said dilute it in water, and administer orally. he says that if hes not better in 3 days we can do some test, but all that will cost money. gotta love vets with a heart! im surprised he did the free consult

Docility,

Your cham looks just like Fred, patterns and all!

I guess there could be a chance he's up at night, but I might take this shed as a coincidence to what is happening here. Do exactly what the vet that consulted you said, but continue to up misting. My husband and I just bought Fred a humidifier, which keeps his terrarium at 60% humidity during the day until 7 pm. Humidifiers are $20 here.

How has his eating habits been? Any decrease? What does his skin look like? How does his shed look? Does his shed appear flakey and choppy, or whole and healthy?

i did, and try my best i got most of the diluted solution in his mouth, but he wont hiss at me hes just like !!! run away !!! so it made it very hard to get him to open it.

his humidity is resting at 80%+ so its really high right now. his shedding looks healthy, and i saw him rubbing his eye lids on his vines so i imagine his eyes are very irritated.

he has not eaten at all today, but hes been sleeping so i see why. i guess we will see whats what tomorrow

he was licking his chops earlier today, but i rarely see him drink anyway. his urates are white, so im guessing he either does it when im not home, or its where i gutload with oranges, but i squirted a lot of water in his mouth today from the diluted A.

yeah i saw that stuff b4, and his shedding is what is irritating himself, but its coming off so time will tell, but i gave him 5000 iu A / 400 iu D so i cant give him anything else for at least a month. i dont want to give him renal failure

Back
Top Bottom