Possible respiratory illness

Winslowsdad

I’ve had my baby for exactly a week, I bought him from a reputable reptile store. I’ve noticed he has occasionally taken deep breaths and has been sitting with his head tilted up. His appetite is fine, but every so often he takes these huge breaths and I believe I hear a small pop sound when he does. His lights/enclosure were picked by an expert, but I’m worried the little guy is in the early stages of being sick so I want some opinions. I’ve requested a vet appointment for the upcoming week, and am waiting to hear back. What do you guys think?

I have added pictures of his enclosure. We are located in WI.

Attachments

• 65CF1B1D-017F-4675-B03E-537D524C3A38.jpeg
    65CF1B1D-017F-4675-B03E-537D524C3A38.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 64
  • D81ED331-21B9-4444-AB2F-D79C5F594EF5.jpeg
    D81ED331-21B9-4444-AB2F-D79C5F594EF5.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 64
  • CC04F7C7-7229-4440-B9E7-5C09094D8E7D.jpeg
    CC04F7C7-7229-4440-B9E7-5C09094D8E7D.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 233821F7-5F5F-4C9B-B82A-2531DDC0AFF5.jpeg
    233821F7-5F5F-4C9B-B82A-2531DDC0AFF5.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 61
There is some issues I see right off. Like lighting. If you can fill this out we will get to the bottom of this issue and address the problem

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about

your cham is sitting with his head up and his mouth open, he is too hot. They will gape to cool down when they feel too hot. If you see this a lot, even when he isn't under the heat lamp then your ambient temp is too high.

As heat stress continues the chameleon will start to gape to cool off from the inside. Eyes closed and body shutting down is the next step so if it is hot and you see gaping act immediately.

So fill that form out please and first turn your heat down in enclosure. No lights at all at night. All you need is one basking bulb(65 watt). And one uvb/uva light. ( t5 HO 5.0 or 6%). Humidity during day 30to 50% topps no more at daytime. Nighttime humidity 70-100%. Basking spot 84°. You can do that by adjusting your 65watt light over basking area till your readings are 82-84 degrees no hotter. Its very important that you give your cham at least a 10 degree drop at night to about 65degrees.

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

What is the temperature in the basking area?
Is he sitting with his heat up when he's in other areas of the cage too or only in the basking area?

There are some things you need to change with your set up.

We can help you better if you answer the questions about your husbandry.

Your basking light should be 8-9 inches away from basking branch
So fill that form out please and first turn your heat down in enclosure. No lights at all at night. All you need is one basking bulb(65 watt). And one uvb/uva light. ( t5 HO 5.0 or 6%). Humidity during day 30to 50% topps no more at daytime. Nighttime humidity 70-100%. Basking spot 84°. You can do that by adjusting your 65watt light over basking area till your readings are 82-84 degrees no hotter. Its very important that you give your cham at least a 10 degree drop at night to about 65degrees.
Thanks for responding! I had a feeling it was too hot, but the so called “reptile expert” at my local reptile shop pointed me in the direction of these lights. I will downgrade from my current light for sure. I will fill out the form for you in detail when I’m done with work.

There is some issues I see right off. Like lighting. If you can fill this out we will get to the bottom of this issue and address the problem

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled, male, exact age unknown. I’ve had him for 8 days

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? 1 time in the week I’ve owned him

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? Crickets, Dubai roaches What is the schedule? Morning 4 afternoon 3(I offer until he no longer is interested)How are you gut-loading your feeders? Gut loaded with vegetables

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Calcium every day and I have dusted with Zoo Med reptivite w/D3 once

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Misting and a slow drip How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Mist 3 times a day for a good soaking. I’ve seen him drinking multiple times

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?No test; but his fecal color is similar to my other reptiles

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) Exo terra glass(w/chim effect)What are the dimensions? Tall/Large

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? UVB and 150w heat bulb. What is your daily lighting schedule?12 hour timer

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Basking spot high 80s, mid cage mid 70s Lowest overnight temp? 73 How do you measure these temps? Tested with multiple thermometers,

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 45-50% How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Misting What do you use to measure humidity? Device bought from reptile store

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Reptivine and other synthetics

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? Located in my home office, not near any vents or fans. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Top of cage is about 3ft from floor

Location - Where are you geographically located? Madison Wisconsin

You need to lower the basking temperature to about 80F. If he's only doing the heads up gaping thing when he's in the basking area, then that should solve it.

Do you have the lights setup so they create a chimney effect since you have an exoterra cage? Can you post s photo showing the position of the lights please.

With veiled chameleons, it's important to use real non toxic plants that are well washed both sides of the leaves, since they tend to nibble on them frequently.

Back
Top Bottom