Possible Prolapse (Veiled)

Lewis490

New Member
Hey guys, ive been reading a lot on online on prolapses, they arent any specialists in my area so before i go on a long drive with him i just wanted to get a couple opinions cuz im really not sure if its a prolapse or now.

Heres a couple pics, any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://postimg.org/gallery/9zqf357m/da60d7e6/
 

carol5208

Chameleon Enthusiast
how long has it been hanging out? Your pics are not very clear. It looks to be a hemipene with some yellow stuff on the end of it?. If it has been like that for long and does not go back in I would get him to a vet as soon as possible.
 

Sohumvet

Member
Agree that's its hard to tell but I think it's a prolapsed hemipene. Either way you need to get to a good reptile vet ASAP. Keep it clean and apply ky jelly to it to keep it moist until you get to the vet but don't delay.
 

Lewis490

New Member
Sorry for the fuzzy pic, ill try to get a better one but he really hates my phone and i didnt want to stress him out. Ill get some KY on immediately but i gotta ask how you go about applying it? Qtip?

****yes it has yellowish stuff dried at the end and its been about 3 days.
 

Sohumvet

Member
You'll have to hold him still then you can apply the ky with a tip so that it covers the entire prolapse. They goal is to keep it clean and moist.
 

jannb

Chameleon Enthusiast
I drive 4 1/2 hours to a reptile specialist. Your pictures are fuzzy but I do believe it's a prolapse and he needs to go to the vets right away.

This is how I handle prolapse: Soak in cold water with as much sugar dissolved in the water as you can get. Soak 5 minutes and take out for 5 minutes and apply KY Jelly, then soak 5 more minutes and then apply KY. Continue to do this until either he pulls it back in or you get him to the vet. If he doesn't pull it back in on his own he will probably need it amputated. You can try to help him get it back in after you have soaked it for awhile and the vet will try to get it back in. If it's been out for awhile the chances of him or the vet getting it back in are slim and he'll probably need it amputated. They do just fine after the amputation.
 
Top Bottom