Possible Prolapse? Help!

Ferdinand

Hi all,
Earlier today I walked by 6 month old male amb. chams cage and I noticed what looked like a possible intestinal prolapse. I was immediately concerned but as I got closer to inspect the area, it went back inside the cham.
So my questions are:
1) Does it sound like a prolapse, the area was like red, swollen bubble; and if so 2) can chams correct that problem on their own and should I be worried.

I have also noticed that he has not been going to the bathroom daily like he was doing for about two weeks now. It takes about three days or so. His vent looks "bigger" than normal, almost swollen.

3) If he is impacted should I not feed him for a couple days to let him get better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
_fern

Howdy,

Sometimes after pooping males will inadvertently hang their "junk" out. The red thing you saw is most likely his hemipenis, and as long as it goes right back in it wouldn't be considered a "prolapse". Do his vents look swollen? or is the bulge just getting larger. Males bulge usually gets bigger with age.

Pooping every 3 days is not abnormal, I have a few larger adult chams that poop once a week or less. As your cham gets older he will eat less, and poop less.

If you ever did come across an impacted cham, it would look similar to what you saw but it would not go back in on its own. What you would want to do is keep it moist with some KY Jelly (water based lubricant) and get him to the vet asap.

Hope this helps,

Todd

OK,
Thanks for the reply! I was really worried. Ill keep a close eye on him. I think the bulg is probably just getting bigger. Thanks again for the help!

_Fern

Back
Top Bottom