possible plants?

Newbomb402

i have looked around for some plants for my rather large habitat i am wondering if there is anything wrong with my selection?

Polyscias fruticosa 'California'
Dischidia ruscifolia
Jewel Orchid - Anoectochilus albolineatus
Fittonia verschaffeltii 'Minima'

i will of course add some artificial vines and a couple of those will be hanging vines down the back of the enclosure

My experience with jewel orchids, is that they like their moss to be kept slightly damp at all times. However, if you get water on their leaves, they will get brown spots on them that becomes dead tissue. I water my jewel orchid by setting its pot in a saucer cup of water. I don't know how well it would work out in a cage with misting.

Is say yes to the first one but the others seem a bit small for chameleons unless your talking about pygmies. What species are these plants for?

A jewel orchid would get destroyed by all but pygmies.

I've been testing out a Lady Palm, and it is doing very well under vivarium conditions. It's supposed to be a slow grower, and one source which I read said that if grown under good lighting it'll only get about 4-5' tall. It provides good cover, but its also easy to weave "branch highways" through the fronds.

I have no experience with dischidia, but creeping fig is an easy, and fast grower under good lighting. You could train it to grow up your vines.

i am builing my own habitat that will house veiled and will be mounting a couple grow pots along the back to give a real look and a couple hearty plants at the bottom to give a realistic look again im a novice so my plans may change as i learn and im getting the idea that one small tree and some vines are more reasonable?

Due to their size, I think they might be hard to grow indoors, unless you have a greenhouse. Any cham smaller than a parson's or oustalet might not be able to get a good foothold of the leaf stems.

If I had a larger living room I'd try one. But for now I'd rather not have to duck under the leaves multiple times a day!

image.jpg Mines pretty small.

Back
Top Bottom