Possible obstruction? Male panther chameleon near bottom of enclosure, looks to be sleeping, no stress colors

I think these are sperm plugs. They are abnormally large but that’s to be expected if your Cham has had blockage issues. Plugs are expelled by the hemipene inverting itself usually during deification. I think he’s fine but still keep an eye on him.

UPDATE: The vet and several of you confirmed that what I found were almost certainly two (giant) sperm plugs. Karma now has a much more modest set of bulges at the base of his tail. :) Hopefully getting rid of those monsters gave some relief. He ate several silkworms on his own this morning (YAY!). He has also calmed down, and is much less reactive to handling, so no more biting. He took his slippery elm extract (O.3 cc @3x/day) well this morning, as well as some water from a pipet. I'm feeling better about his chances to survive this ordeal, but still keeping fingers crossed. I did leave a few soft cricket nymphs in the feeder station last night, and most are gone. I'm assuming eaten. I posted a couple pictures I took just a few minutes ago. Thanks everyone for all the help and good wishes. I'll continue updating.

Attachments

• Karma1_050919.jpeg
    Karma1_050919.jpeg
    292.8 KB · Views: 239
  • Karma2_050919.jpeg
    Karma2_050919.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 179
I bet he feels quite relieved getting those two out?

Hey did that # you accidentally sent the poop video to ever say WTF?
He seems much more relaxed, doesn't freak out being handled. Maybe he feels calmer without all that pressure.
Nope, no reply. I hope they just deleted it! :)

Cham keeping takes you to some strange places! Did you ever think to yourself that someday you would be happily trading lizard poop/jizz videos with complete strangers?

One thing I never thought to myself is how much there is to learn being a cham keeper! Good to know folks on this forum are passionate about keeping them in good health are always eager to troubleshoot, give solid advice.

UPDATE: The vet and several of you confirmed that what I found were almost certainly two (giant) sperm plugs. Karma now has a much more modest set of bulges at the base of his tail. :) Hopefully getting rid of those monsters gave some relief. He ate several silkworms on his own this morning (YAY!). He has also calmed down, and is much less reactive to handling, so no more biting. He took his slippery elm extract (O.3 cc @3x/day) well this morning, as well as some water from a pipet. I'm feeling better about his chances to survive this ordeal, but still keeping fingers crossed. I did leave a few soft cricket nymphs in the feeder station last night, and most are gone. I'm assuming eaten. I posted a couple pictures I took just a few minutes ago. Thanks everyone for all the help and good wishes. I'll continue updating.
I had to be up 3am this morning but was following this till nearly midnight. I was fairly positive it was a plug, but man it was big. And oh boy, am I tired right now lol.

Another update:

So, a week after emergency hospitalization for obstruction (possibly made worse by enormous sperm plugs which were ejected last week!) Karma seems to be recovering. Attached are pictures of him today (he started a shed after he came home, maybe due to stress?) and three poops - one from yesterday, on cage floor, and two that came out one after the other, just now.

THANK YOU so much, everybody, for the support and advice! It helped A LOT!

My questions for those of you who who may have an opnion:
1) should I continue to feed a larger ratio than before of silkworms to crickets (say 50:50 instead of 10:90) to enhance hydration and keep things moving? Silkworms used to be 10 percent or less of the diet (he has had almost solely silkworms since hospitalization with blockage)
2) what is the best way to avoid this in the future? vet said it didn't appear swallowing soil was involved. Maybe feed less at any one time?
3) please rate Karma's poop - NOTE it's probably kind of loose because of eating mostly silkworms all week

Any other advice, suggestions. AGAIN, THANK YOU! I really appreciate the kindness and concern, and willingness to help and share experiences.

-- Lisa

Attachments

• file2-8.jpeg
    file2-8.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 180
  • file1-15.jpeg
    file1-15.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 191
  • file-30.jpeg
    file-30.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 223
Work you way down to 25% silk/horn over the next month, let’s ensure it stays moving for now...
I have access to pretty much unlimited silk- and hornworms. I am raising about 600 silkworms in my office at work. Karma is also in my office at work. He is getting misted multiple times a day, every day (dehydration has not seemed to be an issue before). I will post more poop when I can. Thanks to all of you for the great advice, concern, and encouragement.

Thank you so much for that useful advice! I may be hitting you up. I'm much less worried about him biting me than him hurting himself. But whatever keeps him safest is my priority.
Yes, absolutely please feel free! I am sorry it took me a while to respond, I didn't realize I wasn't getting notifications!

Work you way down to 25% silk/horn over the next month, let’s ensure it stays moving for now...
Another update, May 30. I think Karma is out of the woods and on the mend. Mostly recovered. He still has some black bruising, skin damage on his shoulders where the vets and vet techs restrained him for enema, drawing blood, and administering medications. But he is eating really well. He is now on about 3:1 silkworms to crickets (reflected in the loose stools pictured here). I'm going to continue majority silkworms for about two more weeks, then gradually get to about 1:3 silkworms/hornworms to crickets. I'm feeding smaller crickets that are soft, no wings. At least everything is moving through and he is eating well. Thanks so much everyone for your support and great advice! @Matt Vanilla Gorilla the eggs I got from you in September are still looking good, but haven't hatched yet! :) @frankpayne32 this is the one I bought from you last year.

Photos taken this morning.

Attachments

• Karma_poop_053019.jpeg
    Karma_poop_053019.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 132
  • Karma1_053019.jpeg
    Karma1_053019.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Karma2_053019.jpeg
    Karma2_053019.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 151
Back