Possible obstruction? Male panther chameleon near bottom of enclosure, looks to be sleeping, no stress colors

If you have to do treatments at home, use a hand towel on top of him and grab behind his head with your thumb on one side and your pointer finger on the other, and cradle his body in the palm of that same hand. The towel protects your hands and arms while giving him something to hold, and gaining control of the head first helps prevent bites. I'm a veterinary technician at an exotic animal vet, and I took home a little girl who they didn't think was going to make it. She needed daily treatments/syringe feeding/eye drops, and as she started feeling better she became a LOT feistier. The technique mentioned above made it so much easier to get in and get out quickly with the least amount of stress to her. If you can, schedule his treatments before his light goes on in the morning and he wakes up, you will have a much easier time because he won't be on the defensive.
My thoughts are with you guys!!
You are going to be very popular around here!

If you have to do treatments at home, use a hand towel on top of him and grab behind his head with your thumb on one side and your pointer finger on the other, and cradle his body in the palm of that same hand. The towel protects your hands and arms while giving him something to hold, and gaining control of the head first helps prevent bites. I'm a veterinary technician at an exotic animal vet, and I took home a little girl who they didn't think was going to make it. She needed daily treatments/syringe feeding/eye drops, and as she started feeling better she became a LOT feistier. The technique mentioned above made it so much easier to get in and get out quickly with the least amount of stress to her. If you can, schedule his treatments before his light goes on in the morning and he wakes up, you will have a much easier time because he won't be on the defensive.
My thoughts are with you guys!!
Thank you so much for that useful advice! I may be hitting you up. I'm much less worried about him biting me than him hurting himself. But whatever keeps him safest is my priority.

I hope everything is fine
Thank you, Clayton. The vet called this morning and said he got through the night fine, but hasn't passed a significant stool. He took his syringe feeding and medications well (because he gapes adn you can just squirt it to the back of his throat). I'm going to get him in a couple hours and will update once I am back with him.

KARMA UPDATE:
Karma came home last night, and seems much better!

I picked him up at the vet and they gave him his evening meds by syringe - meloxicam and slippery elm extract. He's already had one, and will be getting three more doses of fenbendazole, every two weeks (first was May 6). Karma was noted for his feisty attitude; he was gaping at the vet tech, which turned out to be convenient; he swallowed two silk worms she dropped in his mouth. When I got him home, I took him outside for some sun and fresh air (first picture). He got a couple more silkworms. (I was advised to give him only soft foods for a few days - in case he stops taking insects, they also sent me home with "Oxbow Carnivore Care" formulation.) Karma spent the night in his carrier, then I brought him to work this morning and put him back in his enclosure. I thought familiar surroundings would help with reducing stress. He took his slippery elm bark extract well this morning, as well as a couple silkworms dropped in his mouth. He is drinking willingly from a pipet. I'm about to give him his second dose of slippery elm (3x per day for the next few days), and may try another silkworm or two. Also, he pooped! It was very liquidy, but he hasn't had anything but silkworms since Monday afternoon. I put some soft cricket nymphs in his feeder, but he isn't interested in eating on his own at this time.

I sent the vet the video of him pushing out this large, very loose stool (and hemipenal castings), they said it is normal. I'm not sure if I can post a video, I couldn't figure it out, but here is a picture of him after pooping - seems okay. X-rays showed an obstruction, but it didn't appear so bad that it required surgery. It didn't look like soil causing an impaction to the vets, so maybe I need to just spread out the feedings, feed more soft-bodied thing?

In the pictures, especially the one above, you can see dark bruising (?) behind his head. Karma had to be restrained for examination, x-rays, blood work, medication, feeding, and enema. I'm assuming he bruised from having to be restrained. Can I assume the bruises will heal without issues?

Thanks so much to everyone for your interest and advice. I'm really enjoying this chameleon, and hope he will recover completely. I'll continue updating. And I won't hesitate to ask for help. I really appreciate the knowledge and willingness to share in this community. -- Lisa

Last edited:
OK, so this is weird. I found something on the bottom of the cage. It looks like a hemipene. I don't know what a hemipenile cast looks like. This is pale and spongy and about an inch long. I need help! Is it possible that when the vet was attempting an enema, that she damaged the hemipene so badly it came off? Or am I panicking for no reason? @Little_Miss_Mo @Brodybreaux25 @Matt Vanilla Gorilla help! See pictures posted in the comment below.

Last edited:
WTF is this? Pooped out, with much straining. Please tell me it is not a damaged/amputated hemipene??!! If so, what do I do??? @frankpayne32

Attachments

• file2-7.jpeg
    file2-7.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 154
  • file3-3.jpeg
    file3-3.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 168
  • file1-13.jpeg
    file1-13.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 160
  • file-28.jpeg
    file-28.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Is that what they look like? I've never seen anything like it before. I hope you are right. I googled images, and I suppose it's possible.

Is that what they look like? I've never seen anything like it before. I hope you are right. I googled images, and I suppose it's possible.
Bob's are usually lighter colour and split (like wishbone). This looks to be one piece rather than split.

HOWEVER get opinion from folk that know more than me.

Bob's are usually lighter colour and split (like wishbone). This looks to be one piece rather than split.

HOWEVER get opinion from folk that know more than me.
Apparently I have two of them! Found another just now. I emailed a video and pictures to the vet, waiting for them to get back to me.

Back
Top Bottom