Possible MBD or am I just freaking out for no reason?

Conundrums

Woke up this morning to see my Cham looking more bendy than I've noticed. We've had him for 4 days now and have been giving him calcium every feeding and his UVB is on 12 hours a day. If he does have MBD is it possible he can bounce back since he's still holding onto branches?
received_1231184683693369.jpeg
received_1231184687026702.jpeg

Definitely has MBD.

A vet can confirm this and help you with the chameleon's recovery.

To correct it you need to give the chameleon some liquid calcium gluconate or sandoz until the bones are strong again. BTW...it doesn't just affect bones...it affects muscles and other systems in the chameleon.

To prevent it from returning you need to make sure your husbandry is good.
The UVB should be changed every six months to a year. The chameleon should be able to move in and out of the UVB at will.

The basking temperature should be in the mid 80's F. Appropriate temperatures aid in digestion and thus play a part indirectly in nutrient absorption.

It's recommended that you dust the insects lightly with a phosphorous-free calcium powder at almost every feeding to help make up for the poor ratio of calcium to phosphorous found in most feeder insects.
It's recommended that you dust the insects twice a month with a phosphorous-free calcium/D3 powder to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 but leaving it to produce the rest from its exposure to the UVB light. D3 produced from exposure to the UVB light won't build up in the system as long as the chameleon can move in and out of the UVB at will but D3 from supplements can build up and lead to health issues.
It's also recommended that you dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A. PrOformed sources won't build up in the system like prEformed sources will and so it's safe...but it leaves it up to you to decide if/when your chameleon needs some prEformed.

It's important to feed/gutload the insects well too. Crickets, superworms, locusts, roaches can be fed/gutloaded with a wide assortment of greens such as dandelion greens, kale, endive, escarole, collards, etc and veggies such as carrots, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, etc and a bit of fruit such as apples, pears, berries and melon, etc.

The bones that are deformed already won't likely be straighr but if the MBD is corrected the chameleon can still live a long life.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Yea he was a rescue. We've had him for 4 days now. We are doing everything we can to get him a happy life. I didn't realize he was under weight. Will get to a vet asap.

Back
Top Bottom