Possible kidney problems or MBD?

Kenziebrown

Hello! So here’s my chameleon with her habitat. She’s EXTREMELY active, always moving around and tapping at the glass to come out if anyone comes to look at her. Last week, I noticed the swelling around her neck, and did some research. I heard that that is oftentimes the result of oversupplementation, and we figured we might be over feeding her because it’s been very difficult to estimate her age. So, we stopped feeding her as much and stopping adding her supplements to her worms and crickets. Then, we noticed that she was very weak, inactive, and it looked like her arms weren’t able to pull her up as easily. Additionally, we noticed her lapping up water much more frequently. So we thought it could be MBD, so we began supplementing heavily again, and misting extra to ensure that she was hydrated if that’s what was missing. Now, today, she’s active again, doesn’t seem weak, and otherwise fine, but the edema around her neck is MASSIVE, as you can see in the picture. So I don’t know what to do, because if she’s having kidney failure, I need to feed her less and hydrate more, but if it’s MBD, I want to make sure that I’m giving her enough calcium and enough UVB. Can anyone help? Let me know if you need any more pictures or info to advise me. Thank you, God bless you all!
Note: she’s only hanging out on the ground there in the last picture because she was trying to get me to take her out.

Attachments

• 84AEC9AC-D835-45E3-991C-6AB6F4C0F322.jpeg
    84AEC9AC-D835-45E3-991C-6AB6F4C0F322.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 105
  • D841D502-C9BA-4EC2-BE1B-40E5B3299A30.jpeg
    D841D502-C9BA-4EC2-BE1B-40E5B3299A30.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 84
Hello! So here’s my chameleon with her habitat. She’s EXTREMELY active, always moving around and tapping at the glass to come out if anyone comes to look at her. Last week, I noticed the swelling around her neck, and did some research. I heard that that is oftentimes the result of oversupplementation, and we figured we might be over feeding her because it’s been very difficult to estimate her age. So, we stopped feeding her as much and stopping adding her supplements to her worms and crickets. Then, we noticed that she was very weak, inactive, and it looked like her arms weren’t able to pull her up as easily. Additionally, we noticed her lapping up water much more frequently. So we thought it could be MBD, so we began supplementing heavily again, and misting extra to ensure that she was hydrated if that’s what was missing. Now, today, she’s active again, doesn’t seem weak, and otherwise fine, but the edema around her neck is MASSIVE, as you can see in the picture. So I don’t know what to do, because if she’s having kidney failure, I need to feed her less and hydrate more, but if it’s MBD, I want to make sure that I’m giving her enough calcium and enough UVB. Can anyone help? Let me know if you need any more pictures or info to advise me. Thank you, God bless you all!
Note: she’s only hanging out on the ground there in the last picture because she was trying to get me to take her out.
Hi there welcome to the forum. Can you please fill this out with detail for us? She does have edema which is very common with over supplementation of fat soluble vitamins like calcium with D3 and vitamin A. Her enclosure is much too small for her. She really needs at minimum a 18x18x36 but better then that to accommodate a lay bin would be a 2x2x4.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom