Possible Constricting Shed (New Owner)

bena02

Hello, new owner here. Ive done a lot of research and heard that a bit of stuck shed every now and then can be normal. This is my buddy, Nomouir, pronounced No-Mwar, I made up the name he is im told around 3-4months but with his colors possibly 5 months? IDK. I see that some of the shed is stuck to the tip of his nose and I do not want him to have a scar for the rest of his life because of one shedding! His nostrils are not covered! This is his first shed with me, Ive had him about a week now. Poop normal, He is extremely docile for what Ive heard chameleons can be. Eating like a champ, calcium wo/d3 and ive used a multivitamin once so far since having him. He acts normal and does the usual chameleon things, basking, then moving away from the heat. then back. then eventually he sits in his sleeping spot an hour before bed. He seems completely healthy to an inexperienced owner. I know they try to hide any sicknesses! No hes not sleeping during the day I quietly would check this cause I was super concerned at first at this behavior. But lets get back to the real point. I believe since he is growing, that shed that is stuck around the tip of his nose, may become black and decay. What action should I take here. If need be I will fill out a form of his husbandry and stuff. But personally I dont think it is necessary yet. If anyone needs that I will fill it out ASAP. LMK if i should try to remove the shed, and I would also like to know if anyone thinks this is constricting the blood flow in the area. There is a little black dot on the tip of his left side (not 100% its the left side) I am very worried, and do not want to have to stress him out this early in our "relationship" as he has already come on my hand and hand fed the first day I got him. I do not want to change his personality towards me because of this. Thanks for reading, I await to hear your responses. Thank you. Pictures were taken after i lightly rubbed the area with a q tip.... He was not having it I shouldn't of done it but i fell to the pressure to try remove it. Also the shed has been there for about 3 days.
image0.jpg
image1.jpg
if more pictures are needed, he does not mind my hand or phone in the cage as long as I dont touch him or shake anything accidentally

Welcome to the forums and world of chameleon keeping!

Doesn't look concerning to me. It should fall off all on its own. And I agree he looks closer to 5 months old.

Welcome to the forums and world of chameleon keeping!

Doesn't look concerning to me. It should fall off all on its own. And I agree he looks closer to 5 months old.

Thank you for responding so quick! I will leave the skin be! Also, thank for the fantastic information you post on Instagram and YouTube. It was extremely helpful when looking into chameleons!

As long as your husbandry is correct the shed should come off on its own. They are dry shedders. Trying to "help" it off can cause harm if the shed has not released from the skin below. We worry about constricting shed on tails and legs. This is where you can actually see it tightened down as if someone put a rubber band on. This is when we step in and assist so that blood flow is not compromised.

Back
Top Bottom