Possible Chameleon Burn. NEED HELP.

LaurenWads30

hey guys! So I have been having my chameleon for almost 2 months and I noticed about 2-3 weeks ago that her back looked funny. I didn’t think much of it since she is my first chameleon and left it alone. Well, I began to do research and come to find out I believe it is a burn. I went to Walgreens and got a silvadene cream and I put it on her back once a day. She is eating fine, moving fine, and acting normal. I’ve been doing the medicine for almost a week now and it still hasn’t gone away. How long does it take for chameleon burns to heal? Does she have necrotic tissue? Is it healing? Does it look like it is healing? Should I take her to the vet? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• D3B614B8-C45F-405C-8B38-0A6452101BE6.jpeg
    D3B614B8-C45F-405C-8B38-0A6452101BE6.jpeg
    294.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 0EEFC681-D1F0-4D44-BAB2-A7DDD1018DED.jpeg
    0EEFC681-D1F0-4D44-BAB2-A7DDD1018DED.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 111
Here are more pictures.

Attachments

• 95D2CB5A-FEAA-4B32-8FE9-1A7549A99209.jpeg
    95D2CB5A-FEAA-4B32-8FE9-1A7549A99209.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 9C80EA29-2C21-4FFE-AEF2-1F6327EBBA69.jpeg
    9C80EA29-2C21-4FFE-AEF2-1F6327EBBA69.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 78
It can take a long time to heal and her spine will not ever look the same again (the spines won't grow back). Have you lowered her basking temperature?

In the meanwhile, since you're new, it would be really useful if you could fill out the following form in full, so we can take a look at all aspects of your husbandry:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Could you post a pic of the enclosure, along with filling out the form, please? Go to the vet!!!

I assume you raised the basking bulb or are using a lower wattage already. I would continue to use the silvadene until the affected area sloughs off over the next sheds and heals over. If there is any swelling or oozing or change in her behavior (poor appetite etc.) she should see a vet. As a precaution I would look for one with reptile or preferably chameleon experience now so you are ready.

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Female, and I would say 3-4 months old. She has shed twice under my care and was at least a month old when I got her from the pet store.

• Handling - I hold her everyday to bring her outside. She used to bite at me but overtime she has learned to trust me and allows me to take her out with no problem.

• Feeding - I feed her crickets, waxworms, mealworms, superworms, and Calciworms. To feed the crickets I have cricket food in there and also water. I dust the crickets once a week (after I buy them). I also dust the worms once a week.

• Supplements - I have the Rep-Cal phosphorous free calcium with Vitamin D ultrafine powder. I only sprinkle it on her food once a week.

• Watering - I have the Little Dripper set up where the water drips from the top of the cage into a bowl at the bottom that I empty out every day. I mist her when I am home which is usually 2-3 times a day. I have watched her drink a few times.

• Fecal Description - The poop looks normal and has a shape. She also has some yellow/white stuff that comes out before her poop. She has never been tested for parasites.

• History - None; I have only had her for almost 2 months.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - The current cage she is in is completely glass with a mesh ceiling. I believe it is 36 inches tall by 12 inches wide. I bought a new cage for her and will be settin it up Sunday when I am back in town. That cage is 4 feet tall by 2 feet by 2 feet. IT IS HUGE and I can’t wait for her to have her little jungle!

• Lighting - I am using ZooMed for both her heat lamp and her UVB lamp. Since her cage is so small, I switch the lamps when I come home from school and when I am leaving. I turn her heat lamp on for a few hours when I wake up, switch to the UVB while I am gone, and then switch back. It all depends on the schedule. Since I noticed her burn on have the heat nap sitting around 4 inches about the cage so it doesn’t get too hot for her. I also take her outside everyday to soak up the sun and get natural rays.

• Temperature - Her basking spot is usually around 75-80 degrees. I do not have anything to measure the temperature at the bottom of the cage. The only I have to tell the temperature is the meter in her cage.

• Humidity - The humidity ranges from 50-80%. I have a meter in her cage that measures the humidity.

• Plants - Currently none are in the small cage however when I get her new cage set up I will put a live plant. Most probably a fiscus tree.

• Placement - Her cage is located in the living room. I have no kids or other pets so she has the whole house to herself when I am gone. I just bought her a new cage which is 24 inches 24 inches x48 inches tall. The cage she is currently in is only I believe 36 inches tall and about 12 inches wide which is small.

• Location- Louisiana

Current Problem - It looks like she has a burn on her spine

I assume you raised the basking bulb or are using a lower wattage already. I would continue to use the silvadene until the affected area sloughs off over the next sheds and heals over. If there is any swelling or oozing or change in her behavior (poor appetite etc.) she should see a vet. As a precaution I would look for one with reptile or preferably chameleon experience now so you are ready.

Yes I did raise the light. The watt on the bulb is 50 WATTs.

It would be a good idea to fill out the help questions above for a husbandry review when you get a second to see if there is anything else she needs.

There are a lot of husbandry corrections you need to make.

(1) Do not ever feed chameleons mealworms. They're hard to digest, lack any nutritional utility, and cause impaction. Not a safe choice.

(2) Store-bought cricket food is not good enough for chameleons. You should be gutloading the crickets with fresh produce or a reputable pre-made gutload like cricket crack. The ones in pet stores are no good.

(3) Your supplement schedule is very, very off. You need three different supplements. Calcium without D3 every day, calcium without D3 once every other week, and a multivitamin once every other week. Currently you are giving her way too much D3, which can become toxic in abundance. This is hugely important for you chameleon's health

(4) You should not be turning the basking light off throughout the day.

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Female, and I would say 3-4 months old. She has shed twice under my care and was at least a month old when I got her from the pet store.

• Handling - I hold her everyday to bring her outside. She used to bite at me but overtime she has learned to trust me and allows me to take her out with no problem.

• Feeding - I feed her crickets, waxworms, mealworms, superworms, and Calciworms. To feed the crickets I have cricket food in there and also water. I dust the crickets once a week (after I buy them). I also dust the worms once a week.

• Supplements - I have the Rep-Cal phosphorous free calcium with Vitamin D ultrafine powder. I only sprinkle it on her food once a week.

• Watering - I have the Little Dripper set up where the water drips from the top of the cage into a bowl at the bottom that I empty out every day. I mist her when I am home which is usually 2-3 times a day. I have watched her drink a few times.

• Fecal Description - The poop looks normal and has a shape. She also has some yellow/white stuff that comes out before her poop. She has never been tested for parasites.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - The current cage she is in is completely glass with a mesh ceiling. I believe it is 36 inches tall by 12 inches wide. I bought a new cage for her and will be settin it up Sunday when I am back in town. That cage is 4 feet tall by 2 feet by 2 feet. IT IS HUGE and I can’t wait for her to have her little jungle!

• Lighting - I am using ZooMed for both her heat lamp and her UVB lamp. Since her cage is so small, I switch the lamps when I come home from school and when I am leaving. I turn her heat lamp on for a few hours when I wake up, switch to the UVB while I am gone, and then switch back. It all depends on the schedule. Since I noticed her burn on have the heat nap sitting around 4 inches about the cage so it doesn’t get too hot for her. I also take her outside everyday to soak up the sun and get natural rays.

• Temperature - Her basking spot is usually around 75-80 degrees. I do not have anything to measure the temperature at the bottom of the cage. The only I have to tell the temperature is the meter in her cage.

• Humidity - The humidity ranges from 50-80%. I have a meter in her cage that measures the humidity.

• Plants - Currently none are in the small cage however when I get her new cage set up I will put a live plant. Most probably a fiscus tree.

• Placement - Her cage is located in the living room. I have no kids or other pets so she has the whole house to herself when I am gone. I just bought her a new cage which is 24 inches 24 inches x48 inches tall. The cage she is currently in is only I believe 36 inches tall and about 12 inches wide which is small.

• Location- Louisiana

Cage Info:

• Location- Louisiana

Does she puff up or change color when you grab her? Make sure to put her on a cham safe plant or in a screen cage when outside. You must gutload every feeder! Cricket Crack, Mazuri, Sticky Tongue Farms Vit-all, and Repashy are all great! Waxworms should only be treats, superworms as treats and/or occasional variety, mealworms are a no, unless they’re babies, but your cham looks older than a couple of months old, Cali worms are great! Silkworms and multiple types of roaches are super healthy, and hornworms help hydrate! Each feeder should be dusted every feeding with phosphorous free calcium without D3, twice monthly with phosphorous free calcium with D3, and twice monthly with a multivitamin. Each feeder should be lightly coated everywhere with supplement powder, get a jar, cup, or baggie to dust in. She needs to be misted for at least 2 minutes, preferably 5, at minimum of 2-3 times a day. Take out the water bowl and make a drainage system instead. When you get the money, invest in an automated mister. The yellow and white stuff is urate, it should be all white, yellow is usually a sign of dehydration. If you see her drink, keep misting until she is done. I would take a fecal to the vet to check for parasites. Get her in that new cage! Make sure there are branches and vines, mostly horizontal, everywhere, along with plants and plant cover everywhere, too. When you get the money, invest in a t5HO linear uvb bulb and fixture, too. The veiled care sheet here has proper basking and ambient temps, along with proper humidity levels.

Also take out the substrate and put a lay bin in instead, veileds can develope eggs as early as 4-6 months old and your cham looks older than 2-3 months old. Are you sure she is a she? Could you post a pic of the back of her back feet, please? The veiled care sheet here has proper lay bin instructions

Does she puff up or change color when you grab her? Make sure to put her on a cham safe plant or in a screen cage when outside. You must gutload every feeder! Cricket Crack, Mazuri, Sticky Tongue Farms Vit-all, and Repashy are all great! Waxworms should only be treats, superworms as treats and/or occasional variety, mealworms are a no, unless they’re babies, but your cham looks older than a couple of months old, Cali worms are great! Silkworms and multiple types of roaches are super healthy, and hornworms help hydrate! Each feeder should be dusted every feeding with phosphorous free calcium without D3, twice monthly with phosphorous free calcium with D3, and twice monthly with a multivitamin. Each feeder should be lightly coated everywhere with supplement powder, get a jar, cup, or baggie to dust in. She needs to be misted for at least 2 minutes, preferably 5, at minimum of 2-3 times a day. Take out the water bowl and make a drainage system instead. When you get the money, invest in an automated mister. The yellow and white stuff is urate, it should be all white, yellow is usually a sign of dehydration. If you see her drink, keep misting until she is done. I would take a fecal to the vet to check for parasites. Get her in that new cage! Make sure there are branches and vines, mostly horizontal, everywhere, along with plants and plant cover everywhere, too. When you get the money, invest in a t5HO linear uvb bulb and fixture, too. The veiled care sheet here has proper basking and ambient temps, along with proper humidity levels.

Every now and then she does but she does puff up at me I will leave her alone. When she is calm and willing to allow me to hold her she doesn’t puff up big at me.

How long does a burn take to heal? Weeks? A month? Months? How will I know it is healing? How will I know it is completely healed?

Also take out the substrate and put a lay bin in instead, veileds can develope eggs as early as 4-6 months old and your cham looks older than 2-3 months old. Are you sure she is a she? Could you post a pic of the back of her back feet, please? The veiled care sheet here has proper lay bin instructions

When I set her new cage up I am putting a live plant in a pot full of soil for her.

Back
Top Bottom