possible CANV?

SirNewton

I’ve had my chameleon Newton for 2-3 months now and he has a mild case of MBD and is being treated for it. I spot clean his cage daily and monthly deep clean. I have a dripper and mist 2-3 times daily with complete drying between misting sessions. I woke up this morning and noticed a yellow ring around my chameleons front left arm that wasn’t there yesterday. He does have yellow stripes on his body is it possibly just his color? Or a fungal infection? I don’t see any cracked skin, lesions, discoloration anywhere else, or flaking skin. Just a yellow ring around his arm any info or help would be appreciated

Attachments

• A4741E81-E91B-498B-A3ED-B388340283B4.png
    A4741E81-E91B-498B-A3ED-B388340283B4.png
    609.7 KB · Views: 96
Hello!

Please fill this out and an I'm sure an experienced keeper will be around to help. I would also suggest looking at the Health Clinic forums and finding a reputable reptile vet in your area.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, male, have had him for 2 almost 3 months.
  • Handling - I have to handle him twice daily For his 15 minute baths once in the morning. Once at night. Per his vet to keep him hydrated while he’s sick.
  • Feeding - right now he’s being very picky I have hornworms, mealworms, crickets, blue bottle flies, waxworms, superworms, Dubia roaches, and silkworms and he will only eat the crickets, butter worms, and superworms. He eats About 4-5 crickets, 1-2 butterworms, and a super worm daily. Today he did not eat at all. I try to feed him first thing in the morning before I go to work at 8(he NEVER has eaten early in the morning) I will try to feed him again at 12 on my lunch break and he might eat 1-2 crickets if I’m lucky. He seems only to want food when I get home from work at 5:30 and he eats a big meal 2-21/2 hours before his lights go off. I am gutloading with Repashy big burger and mazuri better big per my vets recommendation.
  • Supplements - before he was diagnosed with MBDi was supplementing zoo-med calcium w/o d3 daily, zoo-med calcium w/ d3 twice monthly and herptivite w/ beta carotene twice monthly. Now per the vet I’m still doing the above but now I’m also mixing 1/16 of calcium w/o d3 and 0.2ml of distilled water and giving it to him daily and twice weekly replacing the calcium w/o d3 with calcium w/ d3 and giving it to him with a syringe. Per the vets request.
  • Watering - I have a dripper going 24/7 and mist 2-3 times daily for 2-minutes at a time and letting the cage completely dry between mists. He also gets 15 minute baths twice daily. Once in the morning and once at night. Sometimes I’ll see him lick the air when I mist but I don’t actually see him drinking off of his leaves.
  • Fecal Description - small solid stool and light orange and white urate(mix of both colors) no parasites. Has been tested a month ago.
  • History: I got him from a small pet store in town called pet supplies plus... he was 1 out of the only 2 lizards there... all they were giving him were daily crickets no supplements no uvb light... I believe this contributed greatly to his MBD that I am currently trying to help. He’s been to 4 different vets since I’ve had him the last being the animal hospital when they admitted him and treated him for MBD and dehydration. That being a week and a half ago.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 2ft by 2ft by 4ft mesh cage. I have a shower curtain wrapped around 3 sides of the cage to keep heat and humidity up.
  • Lighting - I have two 100w zoo med repti basking reptile spot lamps, a 100w ceramic lamp and a t8 10.0 reptisun uvb in a th50 terrarium hood. 7am-8pm (since he usually only eats when I get off from work I want to make sure he gets enough light to digest his food)
  • Temperature - temp Is 85-90 sometimes 95 in his basking spot and 70s near the bottom. Overnight temp is 65-70. I have 3 thermometer/hygrometers one on the very top of the cage, one in the middle, and one on the bottom. I also have a probe thermometer to measure his basking spot.
  • Humidity - when misting it goes into the 70s and it’s usually in the 30s when I mist again. i hand mist the cage 3x daily. I measure the humidity with 3 Hygrometers that are in the cage. I do have a humidifier/fogged that I was using up until the vet told me no to anymore since he could get a uri or bacterial infection from it since his immune system is compromised by the MBD.
  • Plants - I have 2 hibiscus plants on the bottom of his cage.
  • Placement - the cage is in my bedroom. No air vents or high traffic. his cage is on a table so his highest point is probably 7-8ft off the ground. I have to get on a high step stool to do anything with him.
  • Location - TN, USA

Current Problem: I’m usually very observant every morning and night when handling to see any changes and I noticed this morning he has a yellow ring arond his arm. He hasn’t eaten all day or even looks interested. (I have offered him everything I have available) and now today he fell asleep 3 hours before his light went off and woke up immediately after I opened his cage. He has not done that before. He has fallen asleep almost every time he gets his warm baths and is usually wide awake after getting out of his baths idk if I should be really concerned or if it’s just from him being weak due to his MBD)
I just really really love this little guy and will do anything i possibly can for him but Im honestly starting to think I just got a sick lizard from the pet store. If there is ANYTHING I can do or change please please PLEASE let me know... I’m open to every suggestion. I just want him healthy... He has another vet appointment on July 11th.

I will post more pictures in the morning. I’m just now getting off from my second job(only Monday nights) and I don’t want to disturb his sleep.

i know he’s white all over but this was before his bath. it’s just his calcium I have to give him daily and he always gets it EVERYWHERE! (Yes even all over his tail by the way he was sitting) So just please overlook that. You can see the yellow band around his left front shoulder a bit better in these pics. And this is currently his “hospital cage” (just his og cage split in half to prevent falling) as recommended by his vet. Please let me know what you think.

Attachments

• ABEFDD8D-8F63-4C22-8768-8452676BA12B.jpeg
    ABEFDD8D-8F63-4C22-8768-8452676BA12B.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 04FD3DC3-5870-44AB-9023-7D9E692B31EF.jpeg
    04FD3DC3-5870-44AB-9023-7D9E692B31EF.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 8ACE61A1-FBD3-456F-B3D6-C4A9D8EF8AA7.jpeg
    8ACE61A1-FBD3-456F-B3D6-C4A9D8EF8AA7.jpeg
    319.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 71874AE1-984B-4574-AC60-066C64D8C106.jpeg
    71874AE1-984B-4574-AC60-066C64D8C106.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 84
  • 0AA873E4-F659-4B38-9917-6AE836798093.jpeg
    0AA873E4-F659-4B38-9917-6AE836798093.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 97
I honestly don't know what that is if anything. Veiled aren't a species I know well. Hopefully some veiled keepers will know if this is normal.

I honestly don't know what that is if anything. Veiled aren't a species I know well. Hopefully some veiled keepers will know if this is normal.
Hmm well okay I appreciate your time and looking at this. I’m just worried because sometimes it won’t change color when he does it’ll just stay that color

I would recommend asking your vet about the yellow circle around the leg. You could take him in to the vet or if you have a good relationship with your vet, you might just email the pictures.

I could not imagine a chameleon needing so much calcium dust that it would get all over them like that. Normally, for MBD the vets give liquid calcium.

I would recommend asking your vet about the yellow circle around the leg. You could take him in to the vet or if you have a good relationship with your vet, you might just email the pictures.

I could not imagine a chameleon needing so much calcium dust that it would get all over them like that. Normally, for MBD the vets give liquid calcium.

I asked about the liquid calcium at the vet but she wanted me to do it this way instead. He’s only supposed to have 1/16 mixed with 0.2ml of water but he doesn’t take to it for awhile so I just keep trying and trying until he takes to it. That’s why it gets all over him. He is really only taking the 1/16 mixture. thank you for your input!

Unfortunately it is presenting exactly like CANV would visually but I can’t say that’s what it is for sure with just a picture. Given how lethal CANV is I wouldn’t be wasting time on the internet, get to the vet now!
Working on it! Thank you very much for your help!

This was him after he got mad at me for misting. But now you can really see the yellow on his arm

Attachments

• 5C312642-5927-453F-9B96-E123F48F7319.jpeg
    5C312642-5927-453F-9B96-E123F48F7319.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 72
The last paragraph is me idk why it posted like that sorry:

I asked about the liquid calcium at the vet but she wanted me to do it this way instead. He’s only supposed to have 1/16 mixed with 0.2ml of water but he doesn’t take to it for awhile so I just keep trying and trying until he takes to it. That’s why it gets all over him. He is really only taking the 1/16 mixture. thank you for your input!

Back
Top Bottom