Possible Abcess On Chams Eye

Nathan9803

I recently purchased a chameleon from a pet store as a rescue and I am concerned by some possible health issues regarding a possible abcess on its eye. I wanted to get some opinions from experts on what it is and if it needs veterinarian treatment.

(Pictures attached)

He is a about six month old veiled chameleon male. I have been taking care of him for about three days.

I handle him for about 15 minutes twice a day

As for feeding his staple feeders are Crickets and super worms dusted in multivitamin every two weeks and calcium w/o d3 3 times a week

All are gutloaded with veggies

He has a misting system set for one minute of misting every hour and he also has a fogger to maintain humidity

When I take him out I mist him with a pressurized sprayer

He is housed in a 18x18x36 screen cage soon to be 24x24x48 with corrugated plastic covering two sides to help raise humidity as I live in Colorado and ambeint humidity is 0%

As for lighting he has a 60w daylight blue zoo med heat lamp and 5.0 uvb lamp in dual dome fixture

Humidity stays around 50%

He has a pothos in his 18x18x36 which will be transferred to the 24x24x48. He will also get a hibiscus.

Thank you for reading my new book which will be coming to bookstores near you.

Attachments

• IMG_0408.JPG
    IMG_0408.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0410.JPG
    IMG_0410.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0412.JPG
    IMG_0412.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 105
Hi Nathan . Looks like it could be a gland or abscess I'm not a vet and I would recommend a vet visit . Let's see if we can get some other members on her @Andee , @Nursemaia , or @kinyonga is anyone available? What specific multivitamin are you using ? Are you using calcium without D3 every feeding ?
Heres the multivitamin I use and I use the calcium without d3 3 times a week

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 64
Heres the multivitamin I use and I use the calcium without d3 3 times a week[/QUOTE
Ok so herptivite vitamin A source is beta carotene so theirs no worrys about overdose of vitamin A , but he's not getting a pro formed vitamin A such as retinyl palmitate which is direct link with eye health . Also helps with Immune system . You would want to be dusting every feeding with W/out D3 .

Near bedtime
Probably just that but you definitely want to be aware when chameleons are stressed and can't get out of a situation they close their eyes . If you find when you handle him he does it often it's a stress response :(. Sometime new keepers mistake this with liking being handled .

Probably just that but you definitely want to be aware when chameleons are stressed and can't get out of a situation they close their eyes . If you find when you handle him he does it often it's a stress response :(. Sometime new keepers mistake this with liking being handled .
I don't think that's the situation because he will fall asleep right around the time I would turn his lights off

I don't think that's the situation because he will fall asleep right around the time I would turn his lights off
My babies will fall asleep around 1 hour before lights out . Even when their out . Just observed his behaviors , you will very quickly know his habits likes and dislikes. Have you seen him rubbing his eye often ? Does he keep it closed at all ?

He is more of a aqua blue color but in my experience most chams are in the green range of color and I was wondering if that is normal
P.S. he is a normal veiled (Not any other bloodlines) and he has the same patterns as my other veiled if that means anything

My babies will fall asleep around 1 hour before lights out . Even when their out . Just observed his behaviors , you will very quickly know his habits likes and dislikes. Have you seen him rubbing his eye often ? Does he keep it closed at all ?
He dosent rub it at all but he does do something weird when he sleeps

I think the abcess on his eye restricts him from completely closing that eye so when he goes to sleep his eye sort of rolls back in the turret so you can't see his pupil

I can get a picture tonight for better reference

The other thing is you could change his misting schedule maybe 4 min with 3 hours between . Often one min is not enough time . You want dry out time between the mistings .

He dosent rub it at all but he does do something weird when he sleeps

I think the abcess on his eye restricts him from completely closing that eye so when he goes to sleep his eye sort of rolls back in the turret so you can't see his pupil

I can get a picture tonight for better reference
Or even a video. I would up his misting till he can see a vet . If it's an infection or abscess he will need a antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom