Poorly girl

Dinotor

I have a veiled cham, only a few months old, had her for 3 weeks. Seems she has a URI or similar, vet has given me antibiotics, an anti inflammatory and a powder food to mix with water. All are to be syringe fed.
Two issues;
1. The antibiotic when syringed came straight out of her nostrils in a think gooey substance
2. Both times after administration she’s closed her eyes and been pretty unresponsive. Last night I had to wake her up to put her back in her vivarium.

Original symptoms are opening her mouth and breathing in big gulps, sometimes squeaking. She’s 100% gone off her food, has lost weight and is dehydrated.

Has anyone else had the same/similar issues, or know what either of the above could mean?
TIA

you're probably syringe feeding directly into the esophagus, has the vet given you instructions on how to syringe feed here is what I found on an older thread posted by @ferretinmyshoes "Unlike in mammals where the windpipe and esophagus are basically very close to each other in the far back of the mouth, chameleons (and most reptiles) have their windpipe at the bottom middle of the mouth and the throat is much farther back. The blue arrow points to the esophagus where the food goes. The red arrow points to the glottis, or opening of the trachea where only air should go."

heres the picture

Attachments

• 15338-1333595302-27582e955436dcf5b9b84eef08b426be.jpg
    15338-1333595302-27582e955436dcf5b9b84eef08b426be.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 44
you're probably syringe feeding directly into the esophagus, has the vet given you instructions on how to syringe feed here is what I found on an older thread posted by @ferretinmyshoes "Unlike in mammals where the windpipe and esophagus are basically very close to each other in the far back of the mouth, chameleons (and most reptiles) have their windpipe at the bottom middle of the mouth and the throat is much farther back. The blue arrow points to the esophagus where the food goes. The red arrow points to the glottis, or opening of the trachea where only air should go."
I was told to go ‘as far back as possible’ but not why - thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom