poorly cham needs tlc

sprock75

hi all, one of my chams has a real bad swollen eye, which i'm treating at mo with antibiotics. problem is she is not eating or drinking. she shows no interest in crickets locusts or wax worms and she's gone from being narky to totally placid. i know she hasn't eaten for 7 days now and i think the only water she has had is what i dilute her antibiotics with, as prescribed by vet. i want to try and get some nourishment in her should i liquidise some greens and critters and syringe them into her mouth. what would be best to use in the mix? or should i let nature take its course.

What sort of cham is she? Veileds and Panthers can both lay infertile clutches without being mated. Do you have a laying bin in her cage for her? Please fill out the How to ask for help info so we can try and help further.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
* Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

ive had her 5 months, she lives in the largest exo terra glass viv with mesh top with uva/b lamp and incandescent for heat night temps drop to 65* daytime 85-95* at top of viv humidity is 55% normally which increases when sprayed twice daily she has more natural plants than plastic (hibiscus and ficus) plenty to climb and hide, shes a veiled cham. shes only handled to clean and give medicine and fed mostly crickets dusted once/twice a week with cham dust. crickets are fed on greens potatoes squash etc. what im worried about most is her eyes are really sunken in and gettin worse daily she also sleeps alot even in my hand. she obviously has no energy from not eating. ialso keep her sister in the same conditions and she is thriving. she did recently lay 44 infertile eggs and im pretty sure she is not even a year old yet

I would get her to vet ASAP. Not eating for a week, sleeping frequently, swollen or sunken in eyes are all indicators that something is definitely wrong. I would have a vet intervene as quickly as possible.

i've been to a reputable vet who prescribed the medicine (baytril) her eye is improving but she seems to have just given up. how much water can i safely give her her body length is 5" nose ro base of tail

Closing their eyes during the day is not a good sign. When Lily was poorly she started closing her eyes and that was the first I knew about her being ill. She went to the vets as soon as I could get her there. Sadly, she was gone within a week. I know you said that your vet is reputable but are they a reptile vet, preferably with chameleon experience?

yes and the vet was recommended by others. do you know if force feeding her some vits or mashed bugs and greens would be ok? and some water force fed cant hurt can it, she seems almost grateful when she gets it with her meds ie gulps it down and doesnt resist too much when i try to open her mouth. she seems to be getting very weak because shes not eating, i'm determined not to lose the poor lass, but don't want to over do anything, if you know what i mean

It may well be worth trying with the mashed up bugs. It is also a good idea to continue to help her drink, just don't squirt it into her mouth too fast. They can go for a good few days without food, but they do need to stay hydrated.

Back
Top Bottom