Poop or impaction issues?

Alright so our almost two year old male veiled hasn't pooped in about two weeks, maybe three that we can find? He's still eating but there was a miscommunication with cage cleaning since my husband and I swap and just didn't realize neither had found poop. Please don't be too harsh as we just had to put my retired service dog down and I had to drop out of my masters program due to some medical issues, so we just didn't discuss chameleon poop recently since he's generally fairly regular.

Male veiled chameleon, almost two.
We have had him for about 16 months. He is currently shedding, we need to adjust his humidity as he has been shedding for three days.
Reptisun 22" bulb that was changed out two months ago and has been regularly changed every 5-6 months.
92 degree basking, 70 ish in the bottom of the cage. Humidity sits low around high twenties low thirties during the day with mid seventies low eighties at night when it is cool, the fogger doesn't go right over his sleeping spot. He is misted every three hours for two minutes during the day time, we live in Colorado, we get dry quickly so it doesn't stay high humidity for long during warm hours.
We do not handle him it makes him angry and stressed.
He hides about every other day (chills in the back of his tank), basks every other day, but always makes a few exploratory laps around the tank. He's not vibrant in color, but also not his dark heat soaking colors, he has always been ever so slightly muted in colors when we aren't actively messing with his cage.
He drinks his water and his urates when they were happening, were white and healthy and the sperm plug seemed fine when those were there.
I started relying more heavily on horned worms this last week with their calcium dust due to concern over poop, I wanted to keep him hydrated but still energy. Normally he is three Dunia every other day, every once in a while he gets horned worms.
He has a live pothos and fake plants for vines. I know we aren't supposed to do fake, but he has never tried to eat them, I check them religiously to make sure he hasn't tried chomping on them and after my hip surgery I literally would watch him all day for about two months and he is happy to much on his pothos and doesn't try with anything else.
Supplements are the Repashy calcium plus. We have been told pretty consistently by a few stores that it is an adequate and useful supplement for chaos, which was also recommended by one of the fancy reptile vets in Denver.
No substrate in his cage, he is lights out from 7 pm to 7 am. Doesnt seem lethargic at all. Eyeballs seem hydrated and look normal. No extra spit in the mouth. Still hisses and puffs up when you get your hand to close to him so behavior wise he is fine and still eating. He also isn't looking extra chunky or anything.

Is there anything we can do to encourage poop? I plan on calling a vet tomorrow but finance wise we are pretty strapped this month after the dog and would love to try any natural remedies.

Alright so our almost two year old male veiled hasn't pooped in about two weeks, maybe three that we can find? He's still eating but there was a miscommunication with cage cleaning since my husband and I swap and just didn't realize neither had found poop. Please don't be too harsh as we just had to put my retired service dog down and I had to drop out of my masters program due to some medical issues, so we just didn't discuss chameleon poop recently since he's generally fairly regular.

Male veiled chameleon, almost two.
We have had him for about 16 months. He is currently shedding, we need to adjust his humidity as he has been shedding for three days.
Reptisun 22" bulb that was changed out two months ago and has been regularly changed every 5-6 months.
92 degree basking, 70 ish in the bottom of the cage. Humidity sits low around high twenties low thirties during the day with mid seventies low eighties at night when it is cool, the fogger doesn't go right over his sleeping spot. He is misted every three hours for two minutes during the day time, we live in Colorado, we get dry quickly so it doesn't stay high humidity for long during warm hours.
We do not handle him it makes him angry and stressed.
He hides about every other day (chills in the back of his tank), basks every other day, but always makes a few exploratory laps around the tank. He's not vibrant in color, but also not his dark heat soaking colors, he has always been ever so slightly muted in colors when we aren't actively messing with his cage.
He drinks his water and his urates when they were happening, were white and healthy and the sperm plug seemed fine when those were there.
I started relying more heavily on horned worms this last week with their calcium dust due to concern over poop, I wanted to keep him hydrated but still energy. Normally he is three Dunia every other day, every once in a while he gets horned worms.
He has a live pothos and fake plants for vines. I know we aren't supposed to do fake, but he has never tried to eat them, I check them religiously to make sure he hasn't tried chomping on them and after my hip surgery I literally would watch him all day for about two months and he is happy to much on his pothos and doesn't try with anything else.
Supplements are the Repashy calcium plus. We have been told pretty consistently by a few stores that it is an adequate and useful supplement for chaos, which was also recommended by one of the fancy reptile vets in Denver.
No substrate in his cage, he is lights out from 7 pm to 7 am. Doesnt seem lethargic at all. Eyeballs seem hydrated and look normal. No extra spit in the mouth. Still hisses and puffs up when you get your hand to close to him so behavior wise he is fine and still eating. He also isn't looking extra chunky or anything.

Is there anything we can do to encourage poop? I plan on calling a vet tomorrow but finance wise we are pretty strapped this month after the dog and would love to try any natural remedies.
P.S. I got a new phone and haven't trained autocorrect and auto fill yet I promise I'm not illiterate

I don't know what you've already tried and/or haven't tried.
constipated chameleon (search including archives here)

These articles & discussions address possible causes, remedies, and when to call the vet.
(Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.)

Does his body look bloated at all? Can you post pics of him?
I would stick with more frequent hornworms you’re see if that helps things move.
What type of lighting are you using with the calcium plus? T5 or T8?

I don't know what you've already tried and/or haven't tried.
constipated chameleon (search including archives here)

These articles & discussions address possible causes, remedies, and when to call the ve
(Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.)
We are definitely willing to bite the bullet if need be, it's really just been difficult to figure out what is good information and what isn't and these forums seem to be a good place to start figuring that out! Thank you!

We are definitely willing to bite the bullet if need be, it's really just been difficult to figure out what is good information and what isn't and these forums seem to be a good place to start figuring that out! Thank you!
I get it. I was trying to be sensitive to your temporary strappedness—BT-DT many many times. :)

We just went through post-brumation constipation with our beardie, Ol' Stinkeye last week. It had been... a while, and we tried everything in the articles & forums—warm soaks, tummy massages, exercise, extra fiber & roughage, oiled his bugs... I had just called the vet and got an appt. (figured it might be time for a shot), and since we'd been doing the daily soaks & massage, I tried it one more time and... WHOOSH! The dam burst! Called the vet back and cancelled. They understood—it happens.

But that wouldn't have been very helpful—needless to say, chameleons aren't beardies. ;)

I often suggest searches because the articles aren't all the same, and can offer different POV & more well-rounded perspective. You have a good point about good & not-good information, but I figured from your join date this wasn't your first rodeo, so to speak, and if you had further questions/doubts, you'd ask. 🤓 I would. :)

Does his body look bloated at all? Can you post pics of him?
I would stick with more frequent hornworms you’re see if that helps things move.
What type of lighting are you using with the calcium plus? T5

I get it. I was trying to be sensitive to your temporary strappedness—BT-DT many many times. :)

We just went through post-brumation constipation with our beardie, Ol' Stinkeye last week. It had been... a while, and we tried everything in the articles & forums—warm soaks, tummy massages, exercise, extra fiber & roughage, oiled his bugs... I had just called the vet and got an appt. (figured it might be time for a shot), and since we'd been doing the daily soaks & massage, I tried it one more time and... WHOOSH! The dam burst! Called the vet back and cancelled. They understood—it happens.

But that wouldn't have been very helpful—needless to say, chameleons aren't beardies. ;)

I often suggest searches because the articles aren't all the same, and can offer different POV & more well-rounded perspective. You have a good point about good & not-good information, but I figured from your join date this wasn't your first rodeo, so to speak, and if you had further questions/doubts, you'd ask. 🤓 I would. :)
Hes never going to forgive us for putting him in warm water. We had to washcloth him and hold him in the water (I was extremely gentle and his mouth never dipped into the water) because he was biting and scrabbling to get out. We temperature checked with two thermometers, he wasn't too warm, just angry. I really hope that helped because oh lord do we have an angry little man! We are gonna throw another horned worm his way with an oil. And your link was super helpful. Made me feel better about what I was putting him through haha thank you!

Chameleons should NEVER be soaked in water!
We read it in enough places that we had to give it a shot because the vet couldn't see him for a while and he started rejecting food and was puffy. But we don't plan to do it again. We are adjusting some husbandry and upping the house temperature a bit.

Update: HE POOPED. It was... a lot. But thank God.
I am sure he did... This was an extremely stressful thing to put him through. So you know it is never recommended to soak a chameleon in water for any reason. This is un natural for them and extremely stressful. They also have very fragile bones so wrapping him in a washcloth and submerging him while you were trying not to be bitten and while he struggled to get away could very well have caused damage.

Back
Top Bottom