Poop? On his tail

lsd61377

My little Cosmo has had what looks like dried poop or urates on his tail for several days. Is this normal? Could it be start of a shed? I'm not sure. Most is white but there is a bit of orange. I have some pics, hopefully they are clear enough to see what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• 20211129_075112.jpg
    20211129_075112.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 20211129_063342.jpg
    20211129_063342.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 20211129_063400.jpg
    20211129_063400.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 20211129_072409.jpg
    20211129_072409.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 96
I’ve no idea what that is. It does look like layers of stuck shed, but you should have noticed it earlier than now. Can you get some better pics of the tail? :unsure: By chance are any of your branches from pine or other trees with sticky sap? I’m also wondering about the white patch on his side. That almost looks like a bit of a burn.

I’ve no idea what that is. It does look like layers of stuck shed, but you should have noticed it earlier than now. Can you get some better pics of the tail? :unsure: By chance are any of your branches from pine or other trees with sticky sap? I’m also wondering about the white patch on his side. That almost looks like a bit of a burn.
all branches are from a maple tree. He's had the white patch ever since he fell of a branch about a month ago, started as a dark spot but is now white, doesn't seem to bother him, he moves well and eats well. I will try for a better picture, but since he hates me, close up are hard, lol

all branches are from a maple tree. He's had the white patch ever since he fell of a branch about a month ago, started as a dark spot but is now white, doesn't seem to bother him, he moves well and eats well. I will try for a better picture, but since he hates me, close up are hard, lol
don't know if these pictures are any better. I did hold (briefly) a warm wash cloth to spot and some of it came off. He hasn't had a shed yet since we have had him.

Attachments

• 20211129_131225.jpg
    20211129_131225.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 80
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 75
I dunno but this baby is not looking so healthy... Have you had a husbandry review? I am seeing some bowing in that front arm along with the casque not being the right shape. Tail is quite thin as well.
I noticed the bowing when we got him and his casque has always had that weird shape.
Please review:
AGE: approx 3 months, bought at Petsmart (I know better now) a month ago, we were told he was around 2 months old.
SPECIES: veiled, male
HABITAT: 18X30 screen enclosure
LIGHTING: 60 w household bulb for heat, T5 linear for UVB and a grow light for plants. All lights usually on at least 12 hours per day.
WATER: He is misted by hand 3xs per day until all plants are dripping
TEMP: basking 80-82, bottom of enclosure 69 during day, humidity around 50 during day and goes up when actively misting. Nighttime humidity around 50 too
FEEDING AND SUPPLEMENTS: currently eating 10-12 small crickets dusted with calcium powder daily. He will also eat 6-8 small BSFL, food is generally available all day. He gets a reptivite supplement with D3 twice per month.

Just trying to do what's best for him, I've grown attached.

Attachments

• 20211129_073017.jpg
    20211129_073017.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 68
  • 20211129_073029.jpg
    20211129_073029.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 70
I noticed the bowing when we got him and his casque has always had that weird shape.
Please review:
AGE: approx 3 months, bought at Petsmart (I know better now) a month ago, we were told he was around 2 months old.
SPECIES: veiled, male
HABITAT: 18X30 screen enclosure
LIGHTING: 60 w household bulb for heat, T5 linear for UVB and a grow light for plants. All lights usually on at least 12 hours per day.
WATER: He is misted by hand 3xs per day until all plants are dripping
TEMP: basking 80-82, bottom of enclosure 69 during day, humidity around 50 during day and goes up when actively misting. Nighttime humidity around 50 too
FEEDING AND SUPPLEMENTS: currently eating 10-12 small crickets dusted with calcium powder daily. He will also eat 6-8 small BSFL, food is generally available all day. He gets a reptivite supplement with D3 twice per month.

Just trying to do what's best for him, I've grown attached.
And it is a T5HO fixture for sure? and what bulb strength did you get? What is your distance from bottom of bulb to the branch closest below the fixture?
What calcium powder are you using for the daily feedings?

What are his urates looking like? How are the fecals?

At this age give him as much as he wants. He should be taking down a ton. So if he is not taking down what you are providing then we need to look at the possible issues. Could be size of feeder or the type of feeding method. Could be a health issue as well.

I have a Petco boy.... Just because it is a chain store does not mean you got a dud. Mine will be 4 years old in June so don't feel like you did something wrong in going with a chainstore. They need homes too ;)

And it is a T5HO fixture for sure? and what bulb strength did you get? What is your distance from bottom of bulb to the branch closest below the fixture?

At this age give him as much as he wants. He should be taking down a ton. So if he is not taking down what you are providing then we need to look at the possible issues. Could be size of feeder or the type of feeding method. Could be a health issue as well.

I have a Petco boy.... Just because it is a chain store does not mean you got a dud. Mine will be 4 years old in June so don't feel like you did something wrong in going with a chainstore. They need homes too ;)
I second this! I have a very healthy female from Petco! About 1 year and 4-5 months!

I use flukers calcium dust w/o D3.
The fixture IS t5Ho the bulb is a T5 and is about 8-9 inches above his basking spot. I have the fixture sitting diagonally on the cage top.
His poops look normal, well formed and moist, not runny. Dark colored. Urates are white.
I feed him in the mornings before I go to work. Usually 10-12 small crickets. When I get home around 4pm, he will sometimes have 1 cricket left. This is when I give the BSFL. I use a homemade shooting gallery type feeder for the crickets.
Lights out around 530 or 6

Last edited:
I use flukers calcium dust w/o D3.
The fixture IS t5Ho the bulb is a T5 and is about 8-9 inches above his basking spot. I have the fixture sitting diagonally on the cage top.
His poops look normal, well formed and moist, not runny. Dark colored. Urates are white.
I feed him in the mornings before I go to work. Usually 10-12 small crickets. When I get home around 4pm, he will sometimes have 1 cricket left. This is when I give the BSFL. I use a homemade shooting gallery type feeder for the crickets.
Lights out around 530 or 6
ok so you got the 5.0 strength uvb bulb?

I would start putting in 20 feeders in the morning. He really should not be eating so late in the day because it does not give him time to digest. Also this will give you a better idea of what he is capable to take down in a day. If all 20 are gone then up it to 25. They should be a small sized feeder.

I would also go ahead and get a fecal done to ensure there is not a parasite issue.

ok so you got the 5.0 strength uvb bulb?

I would start putting in 20 feeders in the morning. He really should not be eating so late in the day because it does not give him time to digest. Also this will give you a better idea of what he is capable to take down in a day. If all 20 are gone then up it to 25. They should be a small sized feeder.

I would also go ahead and get a fecal done to ensure there is not a parasite issue.
Ok, thank you for the suggestions and help

Back
Top Bottom