Poop means he's eating right?

Hello, I am a new owner of a Panther Chameleon. He is about a month old. I named him Thor :D

I have been keeping crickets in his enclosure and providing lots of cricket gut load food and water crystals for the crickets. I keep about 12 in his cage at a time. I'm not really sure if he's eating though.

On the weekends when I'm home, I see him super active and what looks like, patrolling of his enclosure, just claims all over the walls, branches, everywhere :) . He seems super energetic and active, when I open his cage to clean or put in crickets, he scurries to another branch to get away from the giant (me haha :LOL:). I try not to stress him out though.

I do believe he's eating them as I don't see too many dead crickets in his enclosure when I'm cleaning it out. But I just never see him actually eat. During the week, I work and have a busy schedule so he's pretty much solitary, but on the weekends I'm home majority of the day and I never see him eating.

• Your Chameleon - Panther Chameleon, Believed to be Male, Maybe a month old (he's about an inch from nose to base of tail), Been in my care since May 11, 2018.
  • Handling - Never really handled him much as I don't want to stress the little guy out. Very minimal, only if i have to move him off his Fig tree to clean out the enclosure.
  • Feeding - I keep about 12 baby crickets in his enclosure at all times. Cricket Gut load formula and water crystals for crickets is kept in the enclosure at all times and crickets congregate here and move to the top of the enclosure by the lights through out the day.
  • Supplements - I dust his crickets in calcium before going into enclosure, and Calcium with d3 has only been used once so far (only had Thor for about a week and a half)
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I am misting by hand with a spray bottle. I spray 3 - 4 times a day usually for about 90 seconds long. I do see Thor drinking pretty much every time I spray.
  • Fecal Description - Colors are black and white. Almost like a bird poop. Black (dark brown) center with white.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? ReptiBreeze 16 in. x 16 in. x 28 in.
  • Lighting - ReptiSun 5.0, Plant light for his Fig Tree, and a Ceramic Heat Lamp (no light). I have his lights on for 12 hours a day. Ceramic heat lamp on 24/7 with a temperature controller that triggers it on and off.
  • Temperature - Basking Spot reaches 82 Degrees Fahrenheit and a temperature gauge doesn't let it drop below 75 Degrees Fahrenheit. Bottom of the cage is kept between 65 - 72 Degrees.
  • Humidity - Humidity is kept between 60% - 80% and is measured with a humidity gauge.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have 1 live Fig Tree and a few fake Reptile Flexible branches and a few fake vines with leafs.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Cage is in my room away from fans and air vents. Monday - Friday is no traffic at all since I'm not home most of the day. His cage sits on the ground since it's fairly tall. 3/4 sides of the cage are more sheltered in a way, his back is against a wall, his right is close against my Media Tv Stand/Console and his left is close against a dresser. The front of his enclosure has view to the room.
  • Location - Located in Western Washington

Current Problem - Not sure if he's eating, but he's drinking and pooping. Don't clean out many dead crickets so I assume so. I am building him a feeder cup to keep his insects in so I can more actively keep track of the number of feeders, and I have some dubia roaches and black soldier fly larvae coming in the mail now.

water gel isnt gutload. you need to be using a mix of fruit and veg or a premade mix. if he is passing stools he is eating. but if you can watch from a distance to make sure he is.

Yeah they have a powder formula that I bought, I'll have to check the name and brand, but it was a premade cricket gutload formula. I keep water gels as well in the enclosure for the crickets to hydrate. Thanks for the info, I will try to keep watching him as well.

Yeah they have a powder formula that I bought, I'll have to check the name and brand, but it was a premade cricket gutload formula. I keep water gels as well in the enclosure for the crickets to hydrate. Thanks for the info, I will try to keep watching him as well.
if you are able to please send me a photo of the premix.

I wouldnt leave gutload stuff in the cage. I would recommend having crickets separated. I wouldnt thibk the gel stuff would be safe for your chameleon if he gets some with a cricket

Plus ive heard that crickets can attempt to nibble on chameleons, dont know this 100%
I know at the store i work at crickets did kill a baby monitor.....

I can guarantee you that the gel stuff you're using is no good. The commercially available stuff includes things like oats and corn (as the first ingredients), which should never be included in a gutload for a chameleon. If you must use pre-made, Cricket Crack is a healthier option, but there is no better substitute than just chopping your own produce

This is the stuff I'm using to gut load, but as it's been said, it looks like I need to switch over to my own produce to make sure my little Thor (2nd image) gets the best nutrients :)

IMG_2908.JPG IMG_2587.JPG

This is the stuff I'm using to gut load, but as it's been said, it looks like I need to switch over to my own produce to make sure my little Thor (2nd image) gets the best nutrients :)

View attachment 206214 View attachment 206215
the cricket diet by flukers is just dyed water crystals as far as i know. imho i think fresh is always best but im not the most informed person on the website. wait for others opinions. cute lil guy by the way:love:

Back
Top Bottom