Poop is super dry should I be worried?

Jelloman

Poop is super dry should I be worried? Feeding crickets and superworms, misting a few times a day and have a cup dripping ice melt, about 12 oz. Per day.

white part should be white
if its pretty orange hes dehydrated.
Its its reddish you got a real problem.

If white part is runny then your boy really likes caterpillars :)

I would be concerned about dry droppings. Generally, no animal's fresh droppings should be dry. It should be moist but not runny. Dumb question: Are you sure the dry droppings are fresh?

How's your humidity? Chameleons get a lot of their moisture from breathing in humid air. Depending on the species, they may need different levels of humidity. If it's very dry air, he could be mildly dehydrated all the time, which can put a major strain on the animal's system. Are his eyes sunken or does his skin look old-man wrinkly?

I struggle with keeping humidity up for my little guy. He's a Jackson's cham which need higher humidity levels (average 70% RH is what I try to get, in reality, I have a range of 50% RH at the top and about 90% RH at the bottom of the cage).

I use a cheap ultrasonic humidifier and plastic tubes to pipe it directly into the lower part of his enclosure. I wash them out every few days to keep everything clean and healthy.

Just my two cents worth.

white part should be white
if its pretty orange hes dehydrated.
Its its reddish you got a real problem.

If white part is runny then your boy really likes caterpillars :)

Another tip...if the white portion is dense and heavy like chalk (even if the color is fairly white), with no liquid surrounding it, he is dehydrated.

Thanks all, I will up the humidity. It is possiblethat the droppins are old by the time I get to them. I generally find them early in the morning or in the early afternoong when I get home. I just noticed that lately they seem to be hetting dryer vs. the ones that I have been removing routinely. Maybe my crickets are getting dehydrated themselves. I went and bought some fresh ones today!

Back
Top Bottom