Polyurethane question

Hydra_cosplay

Avid Member
So just recently built an enclosure out of white pine and was looking to seal the wood with polyurethane. Is there a certain brand or type I should be using for this? Any info would be helpful, thanks!

Any will do. You can go with the good ole water based milky stuff that has be used for a thousand years. Or you can go off the deep end and get "the good stuff"

From best to worst:
oil based Spar urethane
water based Spar urethane
oil based polyurethane
water based polyurethane

But really the price goes insane fast. Godlike spar varnishes can hit $80-120 a gallon. But at the end of the day, i would get what ever spar urethane is on sale. The stuff will have high solids, resist UVB, and be more flexible (think hotside vs cold side at the same time). The oil based will seal/finish a bit better. both will offgass for about 30 days(and be dry in 2 days). If this is an outdoor cage it doesnt matter. If its an indoor cage i would not put the cham in a sealed room with it, till its "full cure" which will be written on the side of the jug. However once both are cured, you can literally eat and drink off of it.

Any will do. You can go with the good ole water based milky stuff that has be used for a thousand years. Or you can go off the deep end and get "the good stuff"

From best to worst:
oil based Spar urethane
water based Spar urethane
oil based polyurethane
water based polyurethane

But really the price goes insane fast. Godlike spar varnishes can hit $80-120 a gallon. But at the end of the day, i would get what ever spar urethane is on sale. The stuff will have high solids, resist UVB, and be more flexible (think hotside vs cold side at the same time). The oil based will seal/finish a bit better. both will offgass for about 30 days(and be dry in 2 days). If this is an outdoor cage it doesnt matter. If its an indoor cage i would not put the cham in a sealed room with it, till its "full cure" which will be written on the side of the jug. However once both are cured, you can literally eat and drink off of it.

Awesome thank you so much! Side question, if I paint over screen that's attached to the wood, would it seap through and still protect the wood fair enough? Only reason I ask is because I already fastened the screen to the wood when in hindsight I should've prob waited :(

Get the water based kind. The oil based is a nightmare to work

with and smells horrible for weeks.

But but the finish. it will be silky smooth and last for 200 years.

Awesome thank you so much! Side question, if I paint over screen that's attached to the wood, would it seap through and still protect the wood fair enough? Only reason I ask is because I already fastened the screen to the wood when in hindsight I should've prob waited :(

"if paint cant get to it, water cant get to it". There will be a bit of creep, but i dont think it will matter. Even unfinished the cage will outlive the cham if its indoors.

But but the finish. it will be silky smooth and last for 200 years.

"if paint cant get to it, water cant get to it". There will be a bit of creep, but i dont think it will matter. Even unfinished the cage will outlive the cham if its indoors.
LOL it is what I used on the outdoor enclosure I built because they don't even sell the water based here due to our environment. But omg was it disgusting. Took 2 weeks for the smell to dissipate outside in open air.

LOL it is what I used on the outdoor enclosure I built because they don't even sell the water based here due to our environment. But omg was it disgusting. Took 2 weeks for the smell to dissipate outside in open air.

Yea... I usually budget a month for fumes if its going to be an indoor project. Though the folks dont like having my wood working projects drying for a month in the garage :)

i'm about to foam my cham cages and i'm wondering how long it will take before it settles and i'll be able to put them back in the cages. Isn't the stuff really toxic when its not dry?

i'm about to foam my cham cages and i'm wondering how long it will take before it settles and i'll be able to put them back in the cages. Isn't the stuff really toxic when its not dry?
Needs to fully cure. You need to let it sit for about 48 hours.

well after searching in the deep dark parts of amazon.co.uk (page 10) i found great stuff gaps and cracks. only problem is it would take a month to get here. school is up and running by that time and i wont have time do it until like october break or something.

Is it worth it to buy the great stuff or just try this "fix n fill" uk brand.... i bought 4 750ml cans of the stuff... its probably still too much because we're not doing the whole 3 sides but there's 3 cages.

Back
Top Bottom