Pleaseee Help

Sooo Thursday I brought home my new boy from Kammerflage Kreations. When he got out if his box he ate 10-12 crickets and drank water . Friday he ate 10-15 and drank water . He has pooped twice also . Saturday I noticed he didn't eat as much and seemed to be chilling alot . Sometimes would slightly rest head on branch. Then right before bed last night I noticed 1 of his eyes were closed. Fast forward to this morning and his eye is closed most of the time (has opened) but seems to be lethargic. He literally sat on my hand and didn't move and baby chameleons tend to take off and move alot . I'm sick to my stomach about this. I'm waiting for Kammerflage to get back to me . Of course there's no reptile vets close and I'm really stressing . Doesn't make sense to me maybe someone can help:( .

The first 4 photos are right when he came out of his box Thursday. Last photos are last night nd this morning

Attachments

• Snapchat-394402879.jpg
    Snapchat-394402879.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Snapchat-1553003235.jpg
    Snapchat-1553003235.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Snapchat-1035938692.jpg
    Snapchat-1035938692.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Snapchat-1826498018.jpg
    Snapchat-1826498018.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 20210814_195731.jpg
    20210814_195731.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 20210815_121324.jpg
    20210815_121324.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 20210815_121342.jpg
    20210815_121342.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 20210815_122502.jpg
    20210815_122502.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 20210815_122909.jpg
    20210815_122909.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 90
Hi there... Please post pics of the entire cage lighting down. And copy paste the form below into your response. Please be detailed in your answers for more thorough feedback

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Also this baby has something going on with his mouth... Was it like this when you got him? I would like to still look over your husbandry if you can fill out the form. But I am concerned he may have some mouth rot going on. Eye that is closing is on the same side as the bad part of the mouth. This would require a vet visit with a real reptile vet.

20210814_195731.jpg
Snapchat-1826498018.jpg

I agree, he needs to see a reptile vet, one with chameleon experience. If you tell us what state you live in we may be able to give you some names of vets that can help.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Panther Chameleon from Kammerflage Kreations . I'd say about about 4 half-5 months old. Today would be day 3 I've had him .
  • Handling - Only handled him when I put him in his cage and handled him for a minute or 2 earlier to check his grip
  • Feeding - Thursday when I got him and Friday he at 10-15 crickets and drank water both day . Yesterday he didn't seem to eat as much but was drinking. Normally feed around 11 a.m. I'm also using Arcadia calcium for the dusting every day and then the other one twice a month (but haven't had him that long)
  • Watering - I hand mist multiple times a day for now and use a dripper that I've watched him drink out of .
  • Fecal Description - poop as looked normal with a creamy color urate . He's pooped twice that I've seen since Thursday.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Zoomed 18x18x36 (will he upgrading to Dragonstrand 24x24x48.
  • Lighting - I'm using Arcadia 6% w 24inch fixture . I'm also using Jungle Dawn light bar . Light are from 8 to 8 every day .
  • Temperature - Top of cage will get to 78ish . Bottom 74ish . Room temp is 76 . Using a 60watt Incandescent in a mini deep dome fixture.
  • Humidity - Daytime humidity is normally around 50. When I mist it'll go up obviously.
  • Plants - For now just got a big Umbrella Tree and some vines etc
  • Placement - Cage is right under 6 feet off the ground . And is in a low traffic area
  • Location - Florida
Current Problem - I put this in my first post above ^^^

Attachments

• 20210815_133909.jpg
    20210815_133909.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 20210815_133914.jpg
    20210815_133914.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210815_133923.jpg
    20210815_133923.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 71
Also this baby has something going on with his mouth... Was it like this when you got him? I would like to still look over your husbandry if you can fill out the form. But I am concerned he may have some mouth rot going on. Eye that is closing is on the same side as the bad part of the mouth. This would require a vet visit with a real reptile vet.

View attachment 307684View attachment 307685
Yeah that was literally the first thing I noticed we he came out of his shipping box . And I asked the breeder but just waiting for a response. He didn't seem to have that mouth thing going on in these pictures before he was shipped

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210807-221657_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210807-221657_Chrome.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_20210807-221746_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210807-221746_Chrome.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_20210807-221828_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210807-221828_Chrome.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 81
Those vines in the cage are mossy covered? They are notorious for causing eye problems because if the Cham rubs his eyes on it little pieces can come off and get in their eyes. Of course I’m not a vet so can’t be sure that’s what happened.

Yeah that was literally the first thing I noticed we he came out of his shipping box . And I asked the breeder but just waiting for a response. He didn't seem to have that mouth thing going on in these pictures before he was shipped
Ok this would be my biggest worry with him. I will go through your form. Can you take a pic from the side of your cage so I can see the placement of the lights? Is uvb running in the middle? And what is your distance from the bottom of the UVB to the highest branch below it?

@FloridaChameleonLiving See my feedback in bold

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Panther Chameleon from Kammerflage Kreations . I'd say about about 4 half-5 months old. Today would be day 3 I've had him .
  • Handling - Only handled him when I put him in his cage and handled him for a minute or 2 earlier to check his grip How is his grip?
  • Feeding - Thursday when I got him and Friday he at 10-15 crickets and drank water both day . Yesterday he didn't seem to eat as much but was drinking. Normally feed around 11 a.m. I'm also using Arcadia calcium for the dusting every day and then the other one twice a month (but haven't had him that long) Which ones exactly are you using and what is your planned rotation?
  • Watering - I hand mist multiple times a day for now and use a dripper that I've watched him drink out of . How long are you misting for?
  • Fecal Description - poop as looked normal with a creamy color urate . He's pooped twice that I've seen since Thursday.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Zoomed 18x18x36 (will he upgrading to Dragonstrand 24x24x48. Good
  • Lighting - I'm using Arcadia 6% w 24inch fixture . I'm also using Jungle Dawn light bar . Light are from 8 to 8 every day . I need the distance from the UVB bulb to the actual branch including the distance you have it raised. With this fixture type and bulb strength you want 8-9 inches to the branch from the bottom of the fixture to get the right UVI level. Also would like to know if that is the jungle dawn bar in the front or UVB? UVB should run the middle of the cage.
  • Temperature - Top of cage will get to 78ish . Bottom 74ish . Room temp is 76 . Using a 60watt Incandescent in a mini deep dome fixture. How are you measuring your temps? What is the actual basking temp? What is the night time temp? You need a night drop to 65 at least.
  • Humidity - Daytime humidity is normally around 50. When I mist it'll go up obviously. That is fine.
  • Placement - Cage is right under 6 feet off the ground . And is in a low traffic area
  • Location - Florida

Could be a few things here... With the mouth it is easy to jump to infection causing the decreased eating and eye issues. But eye issues can also be linked to not misting long enough. Panthers tend to like longer mistings so they can clean their eyes. Supplements would not effect anything in the amount of time you have had him. Now UVB issues typically take longer to manifest then a few days but I still want to double check distance to basking.

My concern is infection though. Will he gape at you so you can get a pic of the inside of the mouth? It should look like a healthy pale yellow. If red along that jaw line or inflamed than infection is a concern.

Ok this would be my biggest worry with him. I will go through your form. Can you take a pic from the side of your cage so I can see the placement of the lights? Is uvb running in the middle? And what is your distance from the bottom of the UVB to the highest branch below it?
So I normally run them diagnol and the branch to the bottom of the light is 8-9 inches .

Attachments

• 20210815_143335.jpg
    20210815_143335.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210815_143358.jpg
    20210815_143358.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210815_143533.jpg
    20210815_143533.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210815_143536.jpg
    20210815_143536.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 61
@FloridaChameleonLiving See my feedback in bold

Chameleon Info:
  • Handling - Only handled him when I put him in his cage and handled him for a minute or 2 earlier to check his grip How is his grip?
  • Feeding - Thursday when I got him and Friday he at 10-15 crickets and drank water both day . Yesterday he didn't seem to eat as much but was drinking. Normally feed around 11 a.m. I'm also using Arcadia calcium for the dusting every day and then the other one twice a month (but haven't had him that long) Which ones exactly are you using and what is your planned rotation?
  • Watering - I hand mist multiple times a day for now and use a dripper that I've watched him drink out of . How long are you misting for?
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Zoomed 18x18x36 (will he upgrading to Dragonstrand 24x24x48. Good
  • Lighting - I'm using Arcadia 6% w 24inch fixture . I'm also using Jungle Dawn light bar . Light are from 8 to 8 every day . I need the distance from the UVB bulb to the actual branch including the distance you have it raised. With this fixture type and bulb strength you want 8-9 inches to the branch from the bottom of the fixture to get the right UVI level. Also would like to know if that is the jungle dawn bar in the front or UVB? UVB should run the middle of the cage.
  • Temperature - Top of cage will get to 78ish . Bottom 74ish . Room temp is 76 . Using a 60watt Incandescent in a mini deep dome fixture. How are you measuring your temps? What is the actual basking temp? What is the night time temp? You need a night drop to 65 at least.
  • Humidity - Daytime humidity is normally around 50. When I mist it'll go up obviously. That is fine.
  • Location - Florida

Could be a few things here... With the mouth it is easy to jump to infection causing the decreased eating and eye issues. But eye issues can also be linked to not misting long enough. Panthers tend to like longer mistings so they can clean their eyes. Supplements would not effect anything in the amount of time you have had him. Now UVB issues typically take longer to manifest then a few days but I still want to double check distance to basking.

My concern is infection though. Will he gape at you so you can get a pic of the inside of the mouth? It should look like a healthy pale yellow. If red along that jaw line or inflamed than infection is a concern.
His grip seems weaker today than first 2 days . He kinda just sat on my hand and didn't move :( . He was also doing some screen climbing and exploring but none at all today. Just sitting in 1 spot on branch with left eye closed (squint open here and there) . For supplements I use Arcadia Earth Pro-CA every feeding and twice a month i use Repashy Calcium Plus LoD. Misting wise I normally mist 30sec - 1 minute 3 or 4 times a day . I'm measuring my temps with a heat gun for the basking branch and I have these little circle Temp/humidity guages I put in the cage in different places. Basking temp is like 82 but he hasn't really went on that branch often. Night time drop probably only gets to 69 or 70. I haven't seen him gape yet but let me see if I can get him to open his mouth . Thank you @Beman

So I just took him out to check grip and his mouth (grip isn't too bad) but seems weaker than the first 2 days . After he was on my hand he's very lethargic and doesn't wanna do anything.. kinda just rests head on hand. I managed to get his mouth open a look and I didn't see any pink or red ? Almost like a clear or paler color but nothing that looked alarming at all . He devoured food the first 2 days but deff doesn't want any food today .. I've tried feww times and he just kinda looks at the bug for a split second and doesn't care :(

Picture is when I put him back in

Attachments

• 20210815_145247.jpg
    20210815_145247.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
His grip seems weaker today than first 2 days . He kinda just sat on my hand and didn't move :( . He was also doing some screen climbing and exploring but none at all today. Just sitting in 1 spot on branch with left eye closed (squint open here and there) . For supplements I use Arcadia Earth Pro-CA every feeding and twice a month i use Repashy Calcium Plus LoD. Misting wise I normally mist 30sec - 1 minute 3 or 4 times a day . I'm measuring my temps with a heat gun for the basking branch and I have these little circle Temp/humidity guages I put in the cage in different places. Basking temp is like 82 but he hasn't really went on that branch often. Night time drop probably only gets to 69 or 70. I haven't seen him gape yet but let me see if I can get him to open his mouth . Thank you @Beman

So I just took him out to check grip and his mouth (grip isn't too bad) but seems weaker than the first 2 days . After he was on my hand he's very lethargic and doesn't wanna do anything.. kinda just rests head on hand. I managed to get his mouth open a look and I didn't see any pink or red ? Almost like a clear or paler color but nothing that looked alarming at all . He devoured food the first 2 days but deff doesn't want any food today .. I've tried feww times and he just kinda looks at the bug for a split second and doesn't care :(

Picture is when I put him back in
So you want to up your misting sessions.. 30 seconds really is not long enough. It can take 3 minutes just to trigger a response. I would do this morning and evening.

Typically Earth Pro A is the recommended one to use as a plain calcium but that may have changed since I used it. EP-CA was only rotated in with this supplement rather then used all the time. The repashy LOD 2 times a month is correct.

Get a wired temp gauge with probe for basking. You need a real reading and a temp gun will only measure the surface temp. Also Kammerflage tends to keep their chams a bit warmer. I would look at providing a temp at basking of 85. Especially if it seems like he is screen climbing the top at all seeking out the heat. Try to get night time temp a bit lower. It will be helpful for him.

What is your distance from uvb fixture bottom to the actual branch?

Okay ill definitely be upping the misting then ! And I'll look more into the supplements as I was under the idea that the EP-CA was an all the time thing . I actually have a wired probe temp and humidity gauage i will put in there now and see what it is reading. Honestly this is day 4 of having him and the only screen climbing he was really doing was on the side walls and im assuming it was from shipping and being in a new home . I'll also look into getting the temp a little colder at night in there . And my distance from UVB to branch is 8.5 inches

Okay ill definitely be upping the misting then ! And I'll look more into the supplements as I was under the idea that the EP-CA was an all the time thing . I actually have a wired probe temp and humidity gauage i will put in there now and see what it is reading. Honestly this is day 4 of having him and the only screen climbing he was really doing was on the side walls and im assuming it was from shipping and being in a new home . I'll also look into getting the temp a little colder at night in there . And my distance from UVB to branch is 8.5 inches
Ok and that distance is counting the fixture being raised correct?

Where in FL are you? We may be able to suggest a good vet to take him to to look at that mouth.

Ok and that distance is counting the fixture being raised correct?

Where in FL are you? We may be able to suggest a good vet to take him to to look at that mouth.
Yes that is counting the fixture being raised .

&& I am in Central FL on the west coast. Inverness is a city close to me.

Also I just bought some Arcadia EP-A which will be here Thursday

Last edited:
It's good that you're getting things fixed up for your chameleon...but it's important to deal with the mouth and eye issues first IMHO. They can progress quickly. Are you taking it to a vet? Sorry to be so short about this.

You said..."His grip seems weaker today than first 2 days . He kinda just sat on my hand and didn't move :( . He was also doing some screen climbing and exploring but none at all today. Just sitting in 1 spot on branch with left eye closed (squint open here and there)"...
And..."So I just took him out to check grip and his mouth (grip isn't too bad) but seems weaker than the first 2 days . After he was on my hand he's very lethargic and doesn't wanna do anything.. kinda just rests head on hand. I managed to get his mouth open a look and I didn't see any pink or red ? Almost like a clear or paler color but nothing that looked alarming at all . He devoured food the first 2 days but deff doesn't want any food today .. I've tried feww times and he just kinda looks at the bug for a split second and doesn't care"...this all sounds like he's already declining because of the eye and mouth issues. Hope you can get the issues solved!

Back
Top Bottom