Please offer advice or experiences - won't eat flies!

Franquixote

Established Member
This is the 3rd-4th time I have hatched out BB flies and there are at least 15 on the screen top- he won't touch them.
I was counting on this as a way to feed during vacations.

I saw him eat 1 yesterday that was crawling after hatching so he definitely knows they are food. The flies have Josh's Frogs brand fly food so they should be nice and sweet and juicy.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get him to take an interest? Last time I even (forgive me) pulled a wing off a fly so it would just crawl but he didn't show interest.

I think maybe flicking his tongue on the screen doesn't feel good, so maybe I could use magnets to put a sheet of paper between the screen and the top or something- though I think the flies will just go to the part of the screen without paper. Obviously I can't cover the whole top because of lighting/heat.

He is not on a hunger strike or anything, and I know they can be picky eaters. For example he will NOT touch a megaworm.

I hate the idea of just killing the flies because I respect all life.

As mentioned I have fly food from Josh's Frogs but they don't seem to be attracted to it- I have it about 6" off the bottom of the enclosure in a plastic lid sitting on top of a box planter. I thought the flies would probably be able to see/smell the food, it is bright blue- if they were taking to the food then at least I could put a dish in a strategic place where he could pick them off.

Any ideas? Any food you know of that is irresistible to the blue bottle flies?

Any suggestions appreciated on how to get him to eat them or get the flies to gather somewhere besides the screen top!

Last edited:
My Jacksons used to love flies, and now for whatever reason he won't touch them even when they're the only food available to him for days.

Chams, i assume are like humans; some foods just don't agree with all of them. Problem is, there's no way your cham can tell you that flies give him an upset stomach, a headache, leave a horrible after taste in his mouth, etc other than just refusing to eat them.

That's a bummer! My panther loves just about anything with wings. Have you tried pupating and hatching BSFLs before? Maybe he would prefer black soldier flies. They're a lot slower and look fairly different, so may elicit a different response

I’ve only seen 3 out of the 7 baby Jackson’s that we’re born 4 days ago eat fruit flies most of them crawl out of the enclosure even with a piece of fruit in there...is there any alternative to fruit flies besides maggots

I can get him to eat soldier fly larvae but they are so fast and such good climbers- and so comparatively small- that it's not worth it except for very small chameleons or as a once-in-a-great while addition for variety. It's an hour worth of work to stand there and get him to eat a half dozen of them.
This is the 3rd-4th try with the blue bottle flies, he absolutely refuses them. Impressive that they can survive alive after they hatch for a month in the fridge though- within 5 minutes they are flying again. Lots of respect for how tough they are. I always wondered how insects make it through winter... they are just survivors!
I'm running out of time to figure out options for when I go away. I can't leave crickets or roaches in there in quantity- I am getting escapees at about 2% rate in there but would never leave dozens at a time. I think the enclosure door is the problem, it's only a pressure fit hinge with felt to seal up the full length crack of the door.
I'm never going to be able to get anyone to take care of my bugs or feed him if I go away for more than 2-3 days I'm screwed.
Any ideas?

I’ve only seen 3 out of the 7 baby Jackson’s that we’re born 4 days ago eat fruit flies most of them crawl out of the enclosure even with a piece of fruit in there...is there any alternative to fruit flies besides maggots

You should do a search for this, then if you still have questions start your own thread.

Perhaps something that might attract them down lower... like a cotton ball soaked in sugar water in the branches to attract the flies closer to where the cham hangs out. Secure the cotton ball so the cam cant accidently eat it or part of it. Like in a cup with a lid with a hole big enough for the flies. just an idea, no idea if this will work,

Back
Top Bottom