Please Help

SamW

I have been reading lately that chameleons don't need as much light as other reptiles. However, my guy's cage is in a darker corner of the room and receives minimal natural light. This is a link to the light I currently am using on my 48x24x24 cage.

http://www.petco.com/product/111653/...t=OnSiteSearch

I notice that it is referred to at the tropical 25 UVB model. Is the "25" the same as the 5.0 people say to use? If so, I am applying 5x more UVB than I should be.., but I am not sure this is accurate.

I believe this is the other light that I have on the cage:

http://www.petco.com/product/108454/...plies_Lighting

I think I am going to quit using the coil bulb and just stick with the strip UVB light. If both are okay, or great, please comment. I do know that they need some area to get out of the UVB. I want to add more light to the area, what should I use? I think I would like to a plant light, (for the plant, plus additional lighting) what should I use? Can I also use some sort of black light or any other lighting?

When I add more lights, do I need to provide them room so they can remove themselves from that light as well, or is that just for UVB?

I know there are many points addressed and various questions asked, but I really appreciate all of the help..!

Sam

Neither of your links are working.

From your description I think I know the Strip Light you're talking about, because I got the same thing, but I'm thinking of ditching it. I only got feedback from one other chameleon owner on here about it, and the breeder I'm getting my chameleon from has no experience using it. I'm switching out the bulb for a Reptisun 5.0.

Your cage is very TALL though so it depends on how close he gets to the bulb. UV peters out after about 12 - 18 inches.

The Zilla 25 bulb is not the one Zilla recommends for chameleons. Too much UVB can be bad as well. Though with a big tall cage, your chameleon should be able to self regulate.

As noted, the UVB peters out after 12-18 inches. This is one reason your chameleon hangs out around the top of the cage.

Typically people only have one UVB bulb and one incandescent bulb for heat and light. You want something that gives you 85-90 degrees at a basking spot around 6-8 inches from the top of the enclosure.

You can add additional low wattage bulbs at various spots around the cage to get more light without adding heat if you want, but it's not bad to have areas where no light penetrates.

The Zilla 25 bulb is not the one Zilla recommends for chameleons. Too much UVB can be bad as well. Though with a big tall cage, your chameleon should be able to self regulate.

As noted, the UVB peters out after 12-18 inches. This is one reason your chameleon hangs out around the top of the cage.

Typically people only have one UVB bulb and one incandescent bulb for heat and light. You want something that gives you 85-90 degrees at a basking spot around 6-8 inches from the top of the enclosure.

You can add additional low wattage bulbs at various spots around the cage to get more light without adding heat if you want, but it's not bad to have areas where no light penetrates.
=
Today I went to Petco and saw a ton of different bulbs that I hadn't seen before. I also saw an all-in-one bulb (uvb, light, heat) I think it was called the reptisun, thoughts? I disconnected the coil bulb and and kept the slimeline. You think I should ditch the slimeline and use the coil? The coil reads 13watt 25 tropical. Is the 25 the same as the 5.0 or 10.0? No one has answered this question yet. I also just installed a zoo-med 150 watt blue daylight bulb. So, as of now.. I have the slimeline uvb and the zoo-med incandescent bulb.?

The new mercury-vapor reptile lights, like the Repti-sun, are fantastic, BUT...they put out a lot of heat.

They put out a lot more UVB than a fluorescent strip light, and throw it a lot further, and they produce ample UVB for 3 years. However, the animal only receives that light when basking under the lamp (which should be focused straight downward to avoid eye issues, and problems with the bulb itself, which isn't designed to set at an angle).

If your cage is huge enough that the mercury-vapor bulb won't overheat it, it would be a great addition, but you may want use a UVB strip light as well, in spite of the expense of replacing it every 6 months.

I don't think that 'too much UVB' is an issue with a mercury vapor lamp, because the animal will very naturally move to regulate how much it receives, since it is associated both with bright visual light and high heat--just like natural sunlight.

If by 'coil' you mean a compact UVB fluorescent, they don't put out sufficient UVB to even be worth buying. The older models are also associated with eye damage, because they are too dim to constrict the animal's pupil, and the UV they put out is just strong enough to cause problems.

Back
Top Bottom