Please Help

SarraHavoc

Just took in a new Veiled Chameleon. He was a friend of a friends, who said he wasn't doing so well so he just wanted to get rid of him. I took him this afternoon. I can't get him into the vet until Monday. I've had Veiled Chameleons, but none have ever looked as ill as him. His bones are protruding, he has no balance and will fall off anything that isn't flat. His eyes are shut 99% of the time. When he fell, he just laid on his side until I picked him back up. His joints are swollen, he's not shedding well at all. However, he ate this morning and has a hearty appetite according to the guy that owned him up until this afternoon. His tail is straight, and wont curl. Barely has any grip. I've never seen a chameleon as thin, as if he's malnourished or has a deficiency. I definitely think some sort of endoparasite for sure.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Species: Veiled Chameleon. Sex: Male. Care Length: Just Today
Handling - Never except to inspect him for obvious signs of illness
Feeding - Person before me said Horn worms, butter worms, wax worms, crickets. Once a day. Unknown schedule.
Supplements - Calcium brand: zoomed
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Waterfall, and automatic mister, as well as hand misting plants for dew.
Fecal Description - unknown
History - I was told he's a good eater, however, he cannot support his head currently.

Cage Info:2ft w x2ft d x4ft h
Cage Type - Mesh top half lined with plexiglass on base.
Lighting - unknown ( just got him this aft.)
Temperature - unknown (just got him this aft.)
Humidity - Unknown (just got him this aft)
Plants - no live plants. Many fake.
Placement - Previous location unknown. Currently in corner on top of stand w approx distance from top to floor of 5ft.
Location - Ontario Canada

Post pictures. but the falling canbe a sign of MBD. the vet trip is DEFINETLY needed.
Why do you hae a waterfall in with him?
How old is he?
Was the zoomed the only supplement?
Were the crickets being gutloaded?
Post pictures of the set up.
CHams need UVB light everyday.

Post pictures. but the falling canbe a sign of MBD. the vet trip is DEFINETLY needed.
Why do you hae a waterfall in with him?
How old is he?
Was the zoomed the only supplement?
Were the crickets being gutloaded?
Post pictures of the set up.
CHams need UVB light everyday.
All of the info I wrote above was just what I was told was his "situation" before I received him this afternoon. I was told he's apparently 3yrs. Zoomed calcium was the only thing I was told he was given. I have no idea if the crickets were gut loaded or if they were even dusted in the first place. :( I have the UVB for the new set up for him, but I posted the info from his previous situation to try and figure out what happened and why he's ill. I haven't put him in the new one yet. I'll post pictures of him now.

Well if his arms and legs seem to be bowed or there seems to be extra joints, its possible its MBD. but the vet will be able to tell you.
until you get him into the vet, try to take him outside as much as possible. real sun is better than uvb bulbs neway.

DO you know what supplements you need and how to gutload etc?

here's a pic of him. (07-21-2011@5:54pm)

Attachments

• IMG_1482.jpg
    IMG_1482.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1484.jpg
    IMG_1484.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 257
He doesnt look good at all. He is way underweight, and his casque is bent. I think his arm looks a bit funny, until you get him to the vet, you may want to find some liquid calcium to give him. I think he has developed mbd.

He doesnt look good at all. He is way underweight, and his casque is bent. I think his arm looks a bit funny, until you get him to the vet, you may want to find some liquid calcium to give him. I think he has developed mbd.
all his joints are very swollen yet his body is severely thin :( I'm hoping he makes it until then. vet doesn't have anything until monday.

Whoeever kept him did a horrible job of it.
is this your first chameleon?
If so, how much information do you have about taking care of them?
not my first chameleon no. I have a 4yr old nosey be. Never had problems at all, but I understand they're different. This is my first medical issue. I have a collection of snakes, lizards, mostly scorpions and tarantulas. this is the most high maintenance addition.

not my first chameleon no. I have a 4yr old nosey be. Never had problems at all, but I understand they're different. This is my first medical issue. I have a collection of snakes, lizards, mostly scorpions and tarantulas. this is the most high maintenance addition.

Panthers and veileds aren't THAT different (in terms of nutritional and light requirements). You know the basics and the links given will also help. The main thing is keeping him going long enough for any treatment to kick in.

Until you can see a vet, get him drinking as much as possible, give him carefully gutloaded feeders and get him in some excellent lighting or real sunlight. I wouldn't go loading him up with unusual supplements or meds at this point because it might mask problems the vet will need to diagnose.

Poor little guy! His former owner should have given him away long ago. Such a shame!

From the look of him, he has MBD but its hard to know if that's all. If he's still eating, he might still have a chance. I would phone the vet and ask if giving it some liquid calcium would throw off any of the tests, and if not, I would be tempted to try it.

Oh, poor baby.

Mist and mist and mist until you get him to the vet...good hydration can help them overcome other problems.

In my experience (which is limited) they are extremely resilient so hang in there!

Oh man that poor chameleon, I hope you give this friend of your friends a good beating :p

Best of luck, hope you can get his standard of life up to a good level.

I definitely thought about it when I saw him... I got a little angry at him for keeping him and claiming "there might be something wrong with him, I think he's sick"... when it's blatantly obvious he's on the worse side of rough. Thank you for the comment.

Back
Top Bottom