PLEASE HELP! Strange chameleon poop!

So I went to the bathroom and came back to my male veiled cham about 5-6 months of age was pooping but 1. His poop was a LOT and 2. There’s some strange plant thing in it and he hasn’t eaten any plants. Right now he’s eating mealworms while waiting for our pet store to restock in crickets and wax worms. The only plant he has in his enclosure is a fake plant that he never eats. And even so, the fake plant has big leaves while the poop has string like leave things I don’t even know what it is. I’ll leave a pic below. PLS HELP!

Attachments

• 5A2A4191-9CB7-4C34-92A6-DC9719998200.png
    5A2A4191-9CB7-4C34-92A6-DC9719998200.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
So I went to the bathroom and came back to my male veiled cham about 5-6 months of age was pooping but 1. His poop was a LOT and 2. There’s some strange plant thing in it and he hasn’t eaten any plants. Right now he’s eating mealworms while waiting for our pet store to restock in crickets and wax worms. The only plant he has in his enclosure is a fake plant that he never eats. And even so, the fake plant has big leaves while the poop has string like leave things I don’t even know what it is. I’ll leave a pic below. PLS HELP!
What else do you have in the cage with him? Veileds will try to eat virtually anything.

Have you thought about ordering feeders online?

What else do you have in the cage with him? Veileds will try to eat virtually anything.

Have you thought about ordering feeders online?
There are sticks, a temp gauge, the fake plant, and a tiny bowl that looks like a rock with water in it and the flooring is an eco carpet. We have thought about ordering his bugs online and breeding them ourselves, but we also have to talk to our parents about it, because we aren’t adults. Also, I will add that poop was super smelly. And, now he’s trying to eat random stuff off the bottom of his cage which he’s never done before. There was poop in there that I didn’t notice that he just ate…

Idk veilds can be crazy eaters mine had a habbit of eatting mud and potting soil for a couple days😐 made me kinda worried so i added more leaf litter but then he stopped all of a sudden😅

Have yall made all the changes that were recommended to you for his enclosure?

How much is he eating for feeders? Sounds like more is going on here for him to be that desperate to eat.

mealworms are the bottom of the barrel for what we recommend for feeders they are not the best in nutritional value.

But ya it kinda looks like it got a fake silk leaf, definitely switch those out for real plants if you can! And heres a pic for staple foods if you were curious cuz mealworms arent the best for chams but yet veilds really will try to eat just about anything tbh😆
chameleon-food(1).jpg

Have yall made all the changes that were recommended to you for his enclosure?

How much is he eating for feeders? Sounds like more is going on here for him to be that desperate to eat.

mealworms are the bottom of the barrel for what we recommend for feeders they are not the best in nutritional value.
We’ve been feeding him vita bugs wax worms and meal worms we were going to feed him crickets but the pet store we’ve been going to hasn’t had them for like the past three times we’ve gone so I’m not sure what’s taking them so long to restock 🤷‍♀️ He usually gets 12-15 worms a day, today I gave him a few more since it’s Halloween so I don’t know why he’s trying to eat his poop. We were thinking about buying him the small Dubia? Roaches or whatever they are but they are really expensive at our store and come with only 24 so I’m not sure what to get him 🤷‍♀️ My boyfriend should be getting a job soon so we can buy him more plants and maybe start ordering the bugs online.

But ya it kinda looks like it got a fake silk leaf, definitely switch those out for real plants if you can! And heres a pic for staple foods if you were curious cuz mealworms arent the best for chams but yet veilds really will try to eat just about anything tbh😆View attachment 330967
Lol that leaf is just there to catch the poop cuz that’s where he likes to poop for some reason LOL but I’ve tried finding one of the plants on the list but I can’t find any anywhere to get him real plants

The "bettles" are pretty easy to set up a colony so you dont have to constantly spend the 20 or what ever they are and the only down side to super worms are they tend to get addicted and stop eating main feeders so i only recommend using those as treats

As for plants its pretty easy and semi cheap to find/get like my dude has an umbrella plant that he claimed and a cherry tree sappling

As for plants its pretty easy and semi cheap to find/get like my dude has an umbrella plant that he claimed and a cherry tree sappling
What plants aren’t toxic to them? I’m so scared I’m gonna get him a plant that’s gonna make something bad happen.

While the strings in the poo look like plant fibers, since you say there’s nothing in his enclosure that those could be, I’m wondering if those are some sort of parasitic worms. That would account for odor and hunger.

I would say to take him and a poo sample to a vet to get checked out. You’ll need to make the husbandry changes @Beman recommended asap in order for him to stay healthy. For live plants, pothos and philodendron are super common and easy house plants that are safe for your veiled. Just wash the leaves well and rinse even better.

First i just want to say do you have any real pants? If you don't i really recommend you buy some from Home Depot Or ( LLLReptile) If you do change the soil just to be safe from anything . Can you send a pic of the enclosure? In my opinion 12- 15 worms a day seems a little to much. The bigger the bug Such as Dubias Horn worms and anything like that i would give less but for crickets and all the normal feeders more . 5(Big Feeders) -10 (small daily feeders) .

Back
Top Bottom