Please help! Reoccurring swelling neck and eyes!!

mercury

This is my girl mercury in the worst state she's been in yet. For the past two weeks, her neck has been occasionally swelling, more times than not and with different intensities. This picture shows the worst that it's been. I am assuming it is edema and i am doing everything i can to keep it down but nothing seems to help, it really just comes on goes on it's own time. In the past day iv'e noticed swelling in her eyes as well. this picture also shows the worst her eyes have been. They swell for a few minutes and then it disappears, and repeats. I am so worried. If anyone has an idea as to what could be causing these to happen, please contact me. I purchased her very young from petco almost two months ago, and shes guessed to be around 3 months of age. I will be reaching out to a vet tomorrow to try and schedule an exam. 20190513_184308.jpg

Veilds do this this when they are mad or something is scaring them Does her whole throat sometimes swell out?
no, her throat almost never passes her chin. its only done that a few times (when i first got her and would mist her cage in the morning. I was aware of that sign so i resigned from misting so close to her waking up). it doesnt seem like these factors are correlated with anger. it happens while she's in her enclosure as well. For the most part, she has been very friendly and trusting of me.

There are a few possible causes of gular edema. Sometimes it is seen in pregnant females, probably from pressure on the kidneys that are partially in the pelvis. another cause is over supplementation or far out of balance gut load. The last is organ failure.
Is she due to lay eggs? Is your supplement schedule on track?

There are a few possible causes of gular edema. Sometimes it is seen in pregnant females, probably from pressure on the kidneys that are partially in the pelvis. another cause is over supplementation or far out of balance gut load. The last is organ failure.
Is she due to lay eggs? Is your supplement schedule on track?
She is only 3 months old, is it possible for her to be developing eggs so soon? I always read that it would take 6 or so months before she starts. I've been gut loading my crickets with oranges and kale. I cut her back on her calcium because i also read that d3 would make it worse. I have a new purchase of calcium withOUT d3 on its way and should be here within the next two days.

Has she been getting calcium with D3 every feeding time before now? If so you will need to stop it for a month. Too much will calcify their kidneys. Are you using a multivitamin with retinol for vitamin A? She will need that to counter balance too much D3. All of this would best be handled by a veterinarian.
Your gut load is not balanced enough to use constantly.

Has she been getting calcium with D3 every feeding time before now? If so you will need to stop it for a month. Too much will calcify their kidneys. Are you using a multivitamin with retinol for vitamin A? She will need that to counter balance too much D3. All of this would best be handled by a veterinarian.
I plan to make an appointment as soon as the vet opens tomorrow morning. as of now, she has been receiving very minimal calcium with d3 while we wait her new calcium to come in. shes been using a multivitamin for reptiles but vitamin A is not listed as one of them. The brand is "Rep-Cal"

Your gut load is not balanced enough to use constantly.
What would be a good gut loading plan for me?

Neither ingredient you are using is bad but you should rotate in other greens (mustard greens, dandelion greens) go easy on the fruit it should only be a tiny fraction of your gut load. Mix in butternut squash, bell peppers, carrots. There is a good list in the nutrition section of the Resources tab above. Don't lean to heavily on one or two ingredients.
I suspect your problem is from something else but too much kale isn't going to help.

Veggies good for chameleons include (but are not limited to) the following:
collard greens
mustard greens
dandelion greens
escarole
endive
carrot greens
green beans
hard squashes
parsley

Fruits and veggies can be fed sparingly:
romaine
kale
carrots
honeydew
canteloupe
strawberry
grapes
apple

Iceberg lettuce and avocados should be avoided completely!
And if u can,get the organic one ,it will be even better.

Veggies good for chameleons include (but are not limited to) the following:
collard greens
mustard greens
dandelion greens
escarole
endive
carrot greens
green beans
hard squashes
parsley

Fruits and veggies can be fed sparingly:
romaine
kale
carrots
honeydew
canteloupe
strawberry
grapes
apple

Iceberg lettuce and avocados should be avoided completely!
And if u can,get the organic one ,it will be even better.
Thank you very much

Neither ingredient you are using is bad but you should rotate in other greens (mustard greens, dandelion greens) go easy on the fruit it should only be a tiny fraction of your gut load. Mix in butternut squash, bell peppers, carrots. There is a good list in the nutrition section of the Resources tab above. Don't lean to heavily on one or two ingredients.
I suspect your problem is from something else but too much kale isn't going to help.
Thank you for all of your help. I came into this very worried and anxious and it is nice to know that i have this platform to go to. Everyone on here has been so helpful to me and its nice to know i have a place to get extra advice and opinions. I will definitely be visiting a vet as soon as possible. I really appreciate the kindness and patience youve had with me.

Back
Top Bottom