Please help! My Cham is sick and I don't know what to do!

britteny123

Help please! My Cham is sick and idk what to do.

I recently bought my 2nd Velied chameleon, Hunter, and there Is something majorly wrong with his eye. He keeps it shut most of the time but when he does open it he has a good range of motion but he looks like he is squinting. When he thinks no one is warching, he will buldge it out and you can see the pink muscle in the opening where you would normally see his black eye part. I took him back to the store and they said he probably pulled a muscle or strained his eye in all of the comotion or moving. They have only ever had 2 veiled chams and I currently own both so I dont really think they know what they are talking about. I know about the sunken eye thing but his eye does not seem to be sunken it is a little more grey than the other but that is all. Does anyone know what this may be? Is the pet store right? My female, Harlow, has never had anything like this and she wants her boyfriend to get better :) any advice/diognosis will help! Thanks for any information.

I recently bought my 2nd Velied chameleon, Hunter, and there Is something majorly wrong with his eye. He keeps it shut most of the time but when he does open it he has a good range of motion but he looks like he is squinting. When he thinks no one is warching, he will buldge it out and you can see the pink muscle in the opening where you would normally see his black eye part. I took him back to the store and they said he probably pulled a muscle or strained his eye in all of the comotion or moving. They have only ever had 2 veiled chams and I currently own both so I dont really think they know what they are talking about. I know about the sunken eye thing but his eye does not seem to be sunken it is a little more grey than the other but that is all. Does anyone know what this may be? Is the pet store right? My female, Harlow, has never had anything like this and she wants her boyfriend to get better any advice/diognosis will help! Thanks for any information.

First tell us about your set up for each of them, are they the same? For now I would buy saline solution for people but make sure it has NO chemicals. Then I would gently drip the saline on the eye several times a day. That may help if your cham just has something in it's eye. Let me know how it is going.

Thanks I will try that. I have a terrarium with a drip system. I am currently using syntheic plants. And I will keep this updated.

Could it be possible that maybe his lights are too strong? I can't say I'm an expert, espicially since you have another one already. Maybe an infection?

Hello, more info. on how you keep him is needed to guess what the problem is really........
If you can fill out the 'how to ask for help' form someone may be able to suggest something you can change which will help -

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

I have looked for vets. The closest one is 2 hours away and does not have any appointments for 2 weeks. I don't want hunter to suffer that long. I will make the drive for him but I cannot get him in any earlier.

Back
Top Bottom