Please help. Mouth rot

Chameleonboyboy

Hi all, found my panther with yellowish substance on the mouth. Tried cleaning it and also wanna find some medication for it.

Please advise what can I apply?

Chameleonboyboy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 536
Hi, the best thing to do is take your chameleon to a vet. Let them test and prescribe the best course of treatment.

Till then..
I would remove as much of the infection as you can. Dont worry if you make it bleed a little even. Dilute providone iodine with bottled water to resemble a mild tea solution. With his nose pointed to the ground and a needless syringe full of this solution. Rinse the area to remove as much of the debris as you can. Then take a q-tip dipped in the solution and clean. Follow up with a syringe full of bottled water to rinse the same way.

Ataraxia gave you excellent advice. Removing and cleaning out as much of that gunk as you can will remove bacteria and allow any medicines your vet gives you to work better.

A vet will probably send you home with an astringent mouth wash and some antibiotics.

Hi there, went to the vet and was not given any medication.
Only was told to use saline on mouth for washing.

Please advise if there is any medication i could use to apply.

Sad man....:mad::mad::mad:

Seriously? Stomatitis/mouth rot is an infection and it's not just going to go away on it's own, especially not in a chameleon (who take forever to heal from anything). Any vet should know this.

I don't know if you can find this in a store that sells horse goods, but I was given an astringent mouth wash that was for horses and dogs, called Chlorehexidine flush. You don't need a prescription, it's just to help dry out the mouth when you wash with it and it'll make conditions harder for the bacteria to live and thrive in. With my Meller's chameleon it really made a difference. I would clean with a Q-tip soaked in it and then take guaze, get it wet, and dab the entire mouth on the inside, focusing on the gum lines in particular and the roof of the mouth.

Obviously, I needed held holding her mouth open and volunteered my father. So you might have to call in a friend or family member to help. Unless he's a really good gaper, and he'll probably hold it open for you alone!

Hi, i would not have settled for that vets method of treatment. There is a couple threads on here that state some great questions to ask when going to a vet. One of the most important things is to bring contact information of other chameleon friendly vets. Along with posted methods of treatment for the problem that you might think it is. I know no one stated what type of antibiotic is needed here and the reason is that your vet needed to examine and test. At worst the vet should have given a broad spectrum antibiotic.

=(
Being cleaning with mouthwash now again.
Looks like its hard for my cham to feed...

Is it going to heal by itself if i do a rinsing twice a day??

Sad to say, i called up a few exotic vets and none can confirm how to cure the issue.

I would have to find something to administer myself. Anyone can guide me on the details if possible.
I had cleaned up and removed most of the pus on the mouth area and gum. Slight bleeding but he is strong and a gaper.

i will continue to wash daily using saline lotions.
Someone offer me to use salt mixed with water? and also baytril.
Please advise?

Where are you from?

I highly recommend using provodone iodine, diluted. It is a antiseptic.

Baytril would be worth a shot also.

I can't believe that not a single vet in your area knows how to treat this. Did they all miss the same lecture in college?

Back
Top Bottom