Please help me

temps should be in the low 80`s or is every care sheet and advice ive been given is wrong............??!!

Low 80's for babies or small juvies. This is a 5-6 month old male Veiled. Sometimes you have to play with temps to get them right. You also have to condsider how clsoe they can get to the heat source, how long they bask, what kind of air flow you have in the room, ambient temps, etc.

It would not hurt him at all to raise the temps to 92-93 in the basking spot and see what happens.

Low 80's for babies or small juvies. This is a 5-6 month old male Veiled. Sometimes you have to play with temps to get them right. You also have to condsider how clsoe they can get to the heat source, how long they bask, what kind of air flow you have in the room, ambient temps, etc.

It would not hurt him at all to raise the temps to 92-93 in the basking spot and see what happens.
i would call a 5-6 month old a juvenille its certainly not an adult, in a earlier post the op said its moving around the viv normally, you say turn the heat up i say turn it down.

Unless the animal is too warm, which in the enlosure it is in I do not see it, I see no reason to turn it down. These are cold blooded animals that need heat to digest, and all of the factors I mentioned above must be taken into consideration.

Unless the animal is too warm, which in the enlosure it is in I do not see it, I see no reason to turn it down. These are cold blooded animals that need heat to digest, and all of the factors I mentioned above must be taken into consideration.
ok i get your point,but, it wont need extra heat if its not eating anything in the first place thats why i said try turning it down and try from another angle

1 - dont panic.

Is he drinking? A dehydrated chameleon will sometime not eat.

Stop offering waxworms - perhaps he's holding out for those fatty treats.

Try a different feeding bowl (shiny metal may put him off).

Moths or flies (cultured, not wild) would perhaps grab his attention.

Has he had a vet check-up?

hiya, i think your set up looks great, so thats one issue rulled out...he looks in good condition and doesnt look dehydrated from the picture or thin which is another good thing, your routien sounds pretty good ...but for me the u.v personaly is to low % wise......it is mounted on top of the viv mesh which is fine but this way filters out nearly half of the available u.v light which can effect reptiles systems quite dramaticaly......have you got a u.v /solar meter 6.2 by any chance ??? there are pricy £130 from www.kimbosreptileworld.co.uk but a very valuble peice of kit...i personaly use a 10 % zoo med with yemans or an lower output externaly ballisted (cool)M.V.B and spot light for warmth...as the part of the world they come from is really quite sunny and quite warm with a sundanese type of set up and bushes to live in.....and its not as humid as alot of other place that chameleons live like madagascar so around 60 % for yemans is fine...these chams like warm temps in the day times to help digets food amoungst other benefits and cool at night temps with no light to get a good nights kip....
what are the temperatures under the basking site ? and also in the cool end of the viv???...a 6 month old cham is certainly not a baby but is alos not a fully grown adult either...but in my experiance with yemans he could take the warmer temps now..doent cool them ok there is no need.....after all providing he has diffrent levels to sit on under the basking light he will choose himself where to go or how close..(within reason as we dont want burns of course)....they arent by any means daft animals as im sure we all know and i think we as keepers sometimes underestimate them..so providing he has a place he can escape from any heat and is provided with water to drink as well this will be just fine..he is dark coloured in the picy which normaly indicates coldness/trying to bask to absorbe as much heat as he can (as in picture) or stress-including illness...but he doesnt look ill to me...but i am nmo vet..so....i would take him for a check up at the vet as he may have an underlying issue that has yet to become apparent..so best to rule this out first...make sure he is in a quite location in your home so he feels secure and not startled and i would avoid trying to handle him every day to be honest ..chams beacome stressed very easily and are naturaly a shy animal and this can and will effect there health or eating patterns so try to leave him alone for a few days ok, juts take care as normal but dont hold him...
i reall hope he will be ok.. he is probably having a funny 5 minutes....fingers crossed for you. x;)

ok i get your point,but, it wont need extra heat if its not eating anything in the first place thats why i said try turning it down and try from another angle

But without heat their metabolism slows down and he won't be inclined to eat in the first place, so it won't fix the problem at hand.

I agree, raise the temps!

Thank you so much, I have not handled him for 2 days and feel awful when he tries to climb out when I mist him.
I have not offered food for a day and a half then he started eating his leaves in the terrarium so i offered some kale dusted in the usual daily powder and he took it, quite alot really.
The colours in the photo I would agree do him no justice but the camera freaked him out, he is usually nice greens and yellows all the time.
Thank you all so very much for your help, advice and support and I am hoping we are turning a corner and Kevin will start eating again.
I will update soon.

Today Kevin ate one large locust and a cricket and yesterday he ate lots of kale !!!!!!

I am so happy :D

I increased his temp to 92 degrees and he seems to be smiling (not gaping)!!!!

Thank you so very much

Back
Top Bottom