Please help me

growing zoo

Hi

I need some help, kevin wont eat!! I have posted several times about the same problem and now feel after nearly 3-4 weeks of hardly eating anything I really need some help I am super anxious that he wont eat. I have tried every feeder I can get my hands on and he just turns his head away from them. I have attached some photos of his cage and of him and one of his foot as someone suggested he was a she!!!
Any help at all would be greatly received.

I have previously filled out a care form but will do it again in case anything needs picking up on.
Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - VEILED, MALE, APPROX 5-6 MONTHS OLD IN MY CARE FOR 3 MONTHS
* Handling - EVERYDAY, I OPEN THE CAGE AND HE COMES OUT ON HIS OWN, VERY FRIENDLY
* Feeding - WHAT HAVEN'T I TRIED WOULD BE EASIER!!!!
CRICKETS, LOCUSTS, MEALWORMS, MORIOS, WAX WORMS, FRUIT GRUBS, CALCI WORMS, KALE AND SPRING GREENS
* Supplements - DUST EVERYDAY WITH A CALCIUM POWDER WITHOUT D3 AND ONCE EVREY 2 WEEKS WITH CALCIUM WITH D3 AND EVERY OTHER 2 WEEKS WITH A MULTI VIT
* Watering - MIST AT LEAST TWICE A DAY WITH WARM WATER FOR APPROX 3 MINUTES AND HAVE A DRIPPER SYSTEM
* Fecal Description - HARD BROWN/BLACK WITH WHITE BLOB
* History - NO HISTORY

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - REPTI BREEZE FULL SCREEN, 36" WIDE 18" DEEP 36" TALL
* Lighting - 1X 18" UVA 5.0 TUBE, 1X 60wat HOUSEHOLD BULB IN A EXO TERRA DOME. LIGHTS COME ON AT 7am TILL 7pm ON A TIMER.
* Temperature - BASKING TEMP IS 90 DEGREES AND LOWER TEMP IS 74 DEGREES WITH NIGHT TIME TEMP AT 67 DEGREES. MEASURED WITH A DIGITAL THERMOMETER.
* Plants - SOME DECORATIVE FAKE VINES AND 1X REAL UMBRELLA PLANT AND 1X REAL WEEPING FIG
* Placement - CAGE LOCATED IN THE CORNER OF THE LIVING ROOM, NOT TOO HIGH TRAFFIC AREA, ITS SITS ON A TABLE APPROX 2 FOOT OFF THE FLOOR, NO VENTS ETC
* Location - UK

PROBLEM,
as above, not eating but very active and good colours.
unable to get hold of horn worms as I am in the UK and have difficulty with silkies.
IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

OK-first things first-quit panicking. My first Veiled did the same thing, and he is fine. He went a month without eating practically anything. Have you continued to offer feeders everyday? I would not offer anything for 3-4 days, and in the mean time bump up your temps just a few degrees.

your husbandry seems fine to me and its a he for definate, the only thing i would pick up on would be the basking spot 90* seems a little high but that wouldnt put him off his food, have you tried cup feeding or do you free range.

have you tried dubia roaches and do you feed him fruit and veg

Your cage set up looks great every thing seems to be on point. some may say lower his baking temp a bit. All I can think of its time for a very visit. Dont wait too long experimenting with feeders assuming its a hunger strike. I lost a cham making the same mistake and by the time I got her to a vet it was too late. She had a parasite which will also cause the decreased appetite. Make sure ur cham stays well hydrated till u can do enough research to find a good vet.

He drinks really well

Not tried roaches yet as they have to be mailed as I am in the uk, have tried fruit and veg of various types but he only used to eat kale and spring greens which he wont now.

I have tried cup feeding which he used to do, he also hand fed nearly everytime and he never gave them time to free range as he would gobble everything up before it had time to get away!!

Really difficult not to panic because he is my baby, i just wish he would eat something!!

I have offered him food everyday, several times aday. Maybe I should just not offer anything and wait him out?????

My first female went 10 days without eating before digging, laying a clutch of over 100 eggs and filling in the hole after! They are truly amazing and really don't need much food at all as adults. I have often struggled with this fact too, but I think I have finally got my head around it now!!

Your cage looks like a palace for him! Being in the UK does make it harder to get certain foods, but we can get silkworms, Super worms (called Morios in the UK), roaches, butterworms and Phoenix worms (aka calci-grubs/calciworms/soldier worms). Here's a few links for you:

http://www.livefoodsbypost.co.uk/
http://www.silkwormstore.co.uk/
http://www.butterworms.co.uk/prestashop/

thanks, I have tried all of these feeders and he just turns away, I even rescued one silkworm from a clutch and got it to about 2 " and offered that, thinking he would jump at it and he just walked over the top of it when turning away from it :(
Its been 3-4 weeks now and he has had 2 wax worms and 4 tiny locust and thats it.
He shed in the middle of all this and is still very active.

He's at the age where their growth rate slows right down and their appetite decreases too - once they hit 6 months they shed every 3 months or so rather than every month. Also at around 6 months they are reaching sexual maturity and he may become more territorial. I would do as Julirs suggests and not offer any food for a few days then offer him something that moves fast. Have you tried a newly moulted Morio worm? They usually love these as the outer chitinous shell hasn't hardened and it makes them easier to digest. Have you had his poop tested for parasites at all?

I will try the option of not offering food for a day or so, really hope it works.
not had his poop tested, but he is pooping very little now although his urate is still white. will get a kit from the pet shop next time he goes.

thanks, I have tried all of these feeders and he just turns away, I even rescued one silkworm from a clutch and got it to about 2 " and offered that, thinking he would jump at it and he just walked over the top of it when turning away from it :(
Its been 3-4 weeks now and he has had 2 wax worms and 4 tiny locust and thats it.
He shed in the middle of all this and is still very active.
a lot of good advice but i have just noticed you said he has only eaten waxworms and that could be your problem, if chams get a taste for a certain feeder they will only eat that until they get fed up with it (mine did) not waxworms though, i would starve it of feeders for a few days but put a bit of banana or strawberry in just to try something different

Am curious to what temp I should be at??!!

He wont eat wax worms anymore and only ever ate those 2 on 2 separate occasions.

Change your times

instead of 7a to 7p try 11a to 11p, I had a cham that liked tootie fruity baby food as a treat, I would pull up 3cc in a syringe and dangle it above her and she would let me squirt it in her mouth, or try some hibiscus flowers...

It varies, he warms up in the morning then explores then warms up then explores, this cycle goes on and on. When he basks he can sit for 10 minutes up to a few hours but always seems to try to find a way out and usually heads out once the door is open. I moved him to his larger cage last night as i had been told that may have been the problem (lack of space)

The breeder I got my cham from told me if my cham ever goes on a hunger strick to offer him Green Horn Worms. If you can get them where you live. That they will help break the strike. Due to the green color of the worm. I dont know though. My chams have never gone on a hunger strike. Im told because I vary the gutload not only the insects.

Hope this helps:)
Prey for the appite to return:)

thanks texas ranger, would love to get hold of some hornworms but they are not allowed in the UK :( I am trying to get hold of caterpillars,moths and butterflies but since its winter they seem to be a no goer

Back
Top Bottom