Please help me with my chameleon ‼️

Jake bassett

281209BB-C26A-4487-B32C-865E7DC8B81A.jpeg
271DB331-FA98-47A5-A51C-55D3674AB157.jpeg
A0F220B6-30B1-4B16-B9FB-7B4B39EBFF8A.jpeg
Myself and my wife purchased a chameleon 2 days ago at a reptile expo in Long Island, when I bought the chameleon home we realized the spikes on his back were peeling off. The individual who had sold us the chameleon said it was he was fine, that it was only because he was scratching his spikes on the cage. However the next day after the expo I went out and bought new light bulbs because the previous owner had 100 watt light bulb for basking. I lowered the watt to 75 for now and his cage temperature now goes from 80-88, There is a humidifier, I also mist the plants 2-4 times a day (because I still need to purchase a better dripper) he does have a dripper on the top of the cage that had came with the cage but it’s in pretty rough shape and the lights set up so that they are hanging above the cage. There is one real plant in their with him, i believe it’s a umbrella plant. I was told his previous diet consisted of roaches & superworms, however where live I can only get my hands onto crickets & superworms so he won’t be having roaches anytime soon. I’m trying to get him used to the crickets, so far he’s only eaten a few. The spikes along his back are really bad, they look like their suffering from a burn so I can only assume the previous owner had a basking like that was way to powerful for him, is there anyone that has any idea what’s going on or has any information please I would really appreciate the help!
Thank you
Jake B.

At the very least you need some flamazine or silver sulfadine (sp?) to put on the open wound areas and you will need to see a vet to get it. Make sure it's an exotics vet. You will need to make sure that it doesn't get infected and if it does that you get back to the vet to get antibiotics.

Make sure that your lights aren't going to be close enough that any more damage occurs too. Hold your hand inside the cage under the basking light and if you can keep it there it should be ok.

I don't think much of the person who sold it to you. Pretty sure they would have known it wasn't fine.

At the very least you need some flamazine or silver sulfadine (sp?) to put on the open wound areas and you will need to see a vet to get it. Make sure it's an exotics vet. You will need to make sure that it doesn't get infected and if it does that you get back to the vet to get antibiotics.

Make sure that your lights aren't going to be close enough that any more damage occurs too. Hold your hand inside the cage under the basking light and if you can keep it there it should be ok.

I don't think much of the person who sold it to you. Pretty sure they would have known it wasn't fine.

Is Neosporin good until the vet appointment comes the closest appointment is Friday.

Do you know the person who sold him too you? Did he give you a business card or anything?

Yes, that’s what you need but please don’t skip the vet visit. Your little man’s back looks really bad.

I’m not going to skip the appointment it’s hard to find exotic vets where I’m located i found one who was able to set a appointment for Friday.

You got hosed.

That is a way horrible thermal burn. It did not happen in two days either.

That whole section of his back will need to be excised by the vet. Then a whole hell of a lot of healing needs to happen. The Vet will most likely give you antibiotics in addition to the topical medication.

Report the person who sold it to the event so the guy won't be allowed to sell again. You could depending on the state, sue the guy for the vet bills. Your call but any vendor who would sell that bad of a thermal burn shouldn't be selling them, and could sell another to just about any beginner.

Thank you all I really appreciate all of the help! I will keep everyone updated. Right now with the Neosporin his back is looking a little better I have a vet appointment scheduled for Friday.

You got hosed.

That is a way horrible thermal burn. It did not happen in two days either.

That whole section of his back will need to be excised by the vet. Then a whole hell of a lot of healing needs to happen. The Vet will most likely give you antibiotics in addition to the topical medication.

Report the person who sold it to the event so the guy won't be allowed to sell again. You could depending on the state, sue the guy for the vet bills. Your call but any vendor who would sell that bad of a thermal burn shouldn't be selling them, and could sell another to just about any beginner.
I can’t believe the guy had him under a 100watt bulb he was burning the little guys back but healing in process and vet appointment scheduled hoping for the best.

Back
Top Bottom