Please help me try to figure out what’s wrong with my chameleons eye!

Caleb carroll

• Your Chameleon - she’s been in my care for 1 month and is a female
  • Handling - Handle her once a day
  • Feeding - feeding her crickets and gut loading with flukers orange cube calcium compound. She eats 8-10 crickets a day
  • Supplements - use flukers calcium without d3 5 times a week and use 2 days a week with d3
  • Watering - mist her 5 times a day and have a waterfall also
  • Fecal Description - Her poop is black and pee is yellow
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - glass and screen 18 by 18 by 36
  • Lighting - 12 hours on and off with a repti sun 5.0 uvb and a 60 75 watt exo terra Basking bumb
  • Temperature - 85 on top of Terri I’m and below is 65 use the gauge it csme with
  • Humidity - humidity is around 50 when completely dry and when I mist around 80 degrees
  • Plants - Live plans don’t remember then name but are tropical plans
  • Placement - cage placement is in room and 4 foot on a nice stand near a vent
  • Location - illinois
Current Problem - her eyes are shut and has been itching them on bark and leaves

See my feedback in red.

Your Chameleon - she’s been in my care for 1 month and is a female
  • Handling - Handle her once a day you don’t want to handle them so much. It stresses them out. Stress can lead to health problems. But it is up to you to watch how she is responding to handeling.
  • Feeding - feeding her crickets and gut loading with flukers orange cube calcium compound. She eats 8-10 crickets a day chameleons need a variety of different foodsThe flukers orange cubes need to go. They are garbage. I will post a pic down below of some good gutload items.
  • Supplements - use flukers calcium without d3 5 times a week and use 2 days a week with d3 you should be using a calcium without d3 every feeding except once every 2 week use one with d3 and once every 2 weeks use a multivitamin on the opposite week of the d3.
  • Watering - mist her 5 times a day and have a waterfall also waterfalls aren’t good as the can harbour bacteria. How long are you misting for?
  • Fecal Description - Her poop is black and pee is yellow the unrated should be white not yellow. This could be a sign of dehydration.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - glass and screen 18 by 18 by 36
  • Lighting - 12 hours on and off with a repti sun 5.0 uvb and a 60 75 watt exo terra Basking bumb is it a linear uvb bulb or the coil bulb?
  • Temperature - 85 on top of Terri I’m and below is 65 use the gauge it csme with those gages aren’t really that accurate. I use a digital one with a probe and a infected temp gun to get a more accurate reading.
  • Humidity - humidity is around 50 when completely dry and when I mist around 80 degrees
  • Plants - Live plans don’t remember then name but are tropical plans
  • Placement - cage placement is in room and 4 foot on a nice stand near a vent is the vent blowing on/ into the terrarium?
    • Location - illinois

• I don’t really see anything that Jumps out as causeing eye issues. But eye issues are extremely hard to pin point. The stuff I posted is more general husbandry advice. She should see a good exotics vet. They can do a proper assessment of what’s going on. If you post some pics it would help.

• 813694CA-0709-4CEC-BD38-B3F978C53DD5.jpeg
      3A50E23A-C1F3-4B0F-9689-DDBB6B773878.jpeg

How often do you clean the waterfall? BTW... I agree with @Lennoncham that it needs to go. This might be why her eyes are bothering her if she picked up bacteria from the fountain.

What UVB light are you using? Long linear tube light or curly compact or?? Some lights bother their eyes.

Your best bet is to see a good exotics vet unfortunately.

How often do you clean the waterfall? BTW... I agree with @Lennoncham that it needs to go. This might be why her eyes are bothering her if she picked up bacteria from the fountain.

What UVB light are you using? Long linear tube light or curly compact or?? Some lights bother their eyes.

Your best bet is to see a good exotics vet unfortunately.

Attachments

• 6DED9AD5-6F5D-440B-ACF2-4A4CB6BBCC14.jpeg
    6DED9AD5-6F5D-440B-ACF2-4A4CB6BBCC14.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 73
okay so youre going to want to change those lights asap the heat is fine but she needs a linear uvb in order to survive and properly pass eggs.

For asking you can use a regular incandescent household npbulb of a wattage that produces the right temperature in the basking area...cheap solution to that.

Once you change that and the UVB light, in a few days it will tell you if that's part of the problem.

changing the uvb because it may be bothering her, also make a trip to the vet because if its a bacterial problem you want to catch that fast. waterfalls are like breeding grounds for bacteria. it could also stem from a vit a deficiency or wrong supplements so like I said, fix the light and supplement the problem should go away, if not a vet visit will be needed

Any other suggestions like the regular screw in ones like the one I have now
those are compact and they don't produce enough light dispersion as chameleons need, you need the long one in order to create an optimal habitat for her, otherwise she wont pass her eggs correctly and will likely develop MBD

Back
Top Bottom