Please help me ID these guys.

broderp

Avid Member
I went to my first Reptile Show today :D, my 12yr. old son and I drove about an hour to Columbus OH to the monthly show they have there. I was surprised at the amount of people that showed up on this cold day!

This first pic makes me mad...had I gotten there a hour earlier, this young guy could have been all mine. He was sold for about $360 and it included a screen cage about 24x24x48 with some basic stuff. He was SO tame and loving. He had the gentlest grip when he climbed on me, couldn't even feel his claws. His colors were very bright turquiose with blue-ish green marking. I know he's a panther, but not sure what specific breed. Here he is being held up for my picture buy his lucky owner:
full

This next one I fell in love with, and would consider buying. But I couldn't tell if it was a boy or girl. The seller called it a "Giant Spiny" but could tell me little more than that. It was also very tame and active when I took it out. This seller is local to me and if she didn't sell it, I'd like to buy it if it's a male and if I can find some some more info on the species. It was priced at $65 USD Can anyone ID and sex this one?
full

Next on my short list was this little guy. They were calling it a "Veraussus" sp? Chameleon. It was about 6 months old they said. It was active and crawled all over me. Not very evident in the picture are red marking on the side. The seller said they get twice the size and are green with some reds in color. It was priced around $60USD.Can anyone ID and sex this one?
full

This one was a fairly large cham. They had it labeled "OSTELOTS". My question here is on the second one in the picture that I put the number "2" next to. His he the same breed? He was a tad bit smaller than number "1" but had some real cool markings. He was $100.
full

These last two I'm not as interested in, but could not ID them, so I'm just curious.
Same as the third picture above? Not evident in this picture, are lots of red/ reddish browns. My camera had a hard time thru the mesh screen.
full

Jackson Female? They had it labeled a veiled cham!
full

Thanks for looking and for any pointer and help in ID'ing these guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll let others weigh in on the locality of that panther but I would likely say Nosy Be. Nice looking blue guy, too bad you missed him.

The first chameleon in question is a female Furcifer verrucosus commonly called the Spiny Chameleon or Giant Spiny Chameleon.

The second chameleon is most likely another Furcifer verrucosus. If I had to guess at sex I would say male because the dorsal crest continues longer down the back than it does on the females (Compare with the first photo). However females are usually redder and have a lower casque so it’s hard to say with 100% certainly. A better photo would help.

The third and fourth chameleons (same tank) appear to be male Furcifer oustaleti or commonly called Oustalets Chameleon for Malagasy Giant Chameleon.

The fifth chameleon is a gravid female Furcifer oustaleti.

The last photo is of a gravid female Trioceros jacksonii xantholophus.

All of these specimens are wild caught and as such bring a bevy of problems to the table. You will spend a lot of money and time getting them acclimated properly to captivity. I’ve seen much worse looking wild caughts in my day but I would pass on all if you are looking for an easy new addition.

I have written a blog on wild caughts if you are interested in pursuing any these guys. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/trace/776-dealing-wild-caught-chameleon.html

Cheers!
Trace

I hope you have some big cages ready and a area for the jacksons to get out of the warmer temps the ousti and verro prefer.

Carl

Back
Top Bottom