Please help! I caught him eating dirt!

SaintJimmy

Avid Member
Okay this morning I woke up to turn on Monty's lights and he was already moving around the cage (usually he sits in his bed spot with his eyes open so I can turn the lights on) and I thought it was pretty cool he was exploring his ficus tree.

Nope! He was shooting at the dirt from the bottom!

I haven't even repotted the ficus yet (We have no pots) and I'm worried he may have ingested something that will cause impaction (one of the water absorbing pellets from the nursery).

Is there anything I can do besides just hope nothing happens?

There is no way I can afford a vet right now (money is very tight. very tight)..

Is the only thing I can do put down stones so he doesn't eat the dirt anymore?

Get him some sunlight for the vitamins?

I have no idea what to do because we just moved him into the big cage and now he's acting super weird.

I would immediately cover the dirt with rocks larger than his head so he doesn't eat more.

I would also give tons of extra hydration, maybe even a shower. Impaction is less likely when well hydrated.

I might also stick to smaller softer feeders for a few days. Maybe if you can find freshly molted crix, little silks or horns... Not sure.

By water absorbing rocks do you mean the little white pearlite balls? If so I wouldn't stress too much as a well hydrated healthy Chan should pass them easily.

I would immediately cover the dirt with rocks larger than his head so he doesn't eat more.

I would also give tons of extra hydration, maybe even a shower. Impaction is less likely when well hydrated.

I might also stick to smaller softer feeders for a few days. Maybe if you can find freshly molted crix, little silks or horns... Not sure.

By water absorbing rocks do you mean the little white pearlite balls? If so I wouldn't stress too much as a well hydrated healthy Chan should pass them easily.

Thanks so much for the help.

I have been misting him twice an hour for 3 minutes at a time (lightly) but encouraging him to drink more today.

I will run the dripper a lot today regardless of having no drainage yet (it'll fall into the pot of the ficus anyway)

I can't find enough rocks but I have about 1/3 of the dirt covered now. :(

Thanks I will continue with hydration

Thanks so much for the help.

I have been misting him twice an hour for 3 minutes at a time (lightly) but encouraging him to drink more today.

I will run the dripper a lot today regardless of having no drainage yet (it'll fall into the pot of the ficus anyway)

I can't find enough rocks but I have about 1/3 of the dirt covered now. :(

Thanks I will continue with hydration

Home Depot sells bags of river rock that are the perfect size for this. If I recall it is a 50lb bag for under 5 bucks. The rock should be relatively smooth, no sharp edges, and be bigger than your chams head.

I bought a few bags for water features in my frog's house but they are also great dirt barriers.

lack of mineral use to be the reason of eating dirt

Yes I know this. I have been giving him proper supplements though so I guess he isn't eating as much when I'm away.

Home Depot sells bags of river rock that are the perfect size for this. If I recall it is a 50lb bag for under 5 bucks. The rock should be relatively smooth, no sharp edges, and be bigger than your chams head.

I bought a few bags for water features in my frog's house but they are also great dirt barriers.

Okay thank you for the advice.

I wouldn't freak out. If all he ate was a couple tongue-fulls of soil, and soil being typically small and particulate, it should pass without incident. However water definitely helps keep things lubricated. You don't need to drown him, but make sure he's well hydrated throughout the day.

I wouldn't freak out. If all he ate was a couple tongue-fulls of soil, and soil being typically small and particulate, it should pass without incident. However water definitely helps keep things lubricated. You don't need to drown him, but make sure he's well hydrated throughout the day.

Thank you :) I don't want to have to worry too much.

I appreciate the help.

Also Guinevere is looking gorgeous lately!

Back
Top Bottom