Please help! How to work ceramic heating

summerlake

I just got a ceramic heater for my cham and i was wondering what the best way to set it up was? Also i feel like it’s not giving off enough heat i’ll attach a picture to show what it looks like.
image.jpg

They were getting to around 63-65 but we turned the heater on because our vet said it should be around 75 at night
Ok so get a new vet... One that actually knows chameleon husbandry. That is an ambient day time temp. Nights should be colder. Veileds can handle temp drops in captivity down to 50 degrees. My boy gets a temp drop to 60 all winter long and is a happy healthy boy.

Return the ceramic heat bulb those things are expensive. Do you want to post pics of your entire enclosure lights down so I can see what your working with?

Ok so get a new vet... One that actually knows chameleon husbandry. That is an ambient day time temp. Nights should be colder. Veileds can handle temp drops in captivity down to 50 degrees. My boy gets a temp drop to 60 all winter long and is a happy healthy boy.

Return the ceramic heat bulb those things are expensive. Do you want to post pics of your entire enclosure lights down so I can see what your working with?
Thank you! And i’ll attach a picture let me know if i should change anything please :) I’m still learning and am open to anything

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 83
Thank you! And i’ll attach a picture let me know if i should change anything please :) I’m still learning and am open to anything
Ok so need some improvements with the enclosure and the lighting. If you want to fill out this form below with as much detail as possible this will give us a good place to start to make sure you have all the correct information. :)

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male veiled, 4 months been in my care for around 3 weeks.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I place my hand in for him to get used to me every day but if he does not climb on to me willingly I don’t pressure him and leave him alone.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? When I first wake up at around 9 I feed 5 medium crickets and then feed around 5-7 again at around 1-2.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use calcium supplements every other feeding with repticalcium.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a drip system and leave it on for around 30 min 3 times a day. I also do mistings every 2 hours or so and yes I do see him drink.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He has never been tested but his droppings are good color and solid and his urate is white.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen cage, 16x16x30.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I have a UVA and UVB light that came with the zoo med kit. I turn the lights on at 8:30-9 am and turn them off at 8pm.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have 2 thermometers, one at the top of the cage one at the middle/bottom the temps are usually around 78-80 at the top and 73-75 at the bottom/ middle. Overnight without a heater is 62.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I have a humidity thermometer it’s usually 60-70% humidity from the mistings and drip system water staying on the leaves.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have a live pothos plant.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Not in a high traffic area, the top part of the cage is near a window it’s about 5 feet from my floor.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Bay area, CA.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Just concerned about heating and lighting. I’m open to all critiques and just want what’s best :)

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male veiled, 4 months been in my care for around 3 weeks.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I place my hand in for him to get used to me every day but if he does not climb on to me willingly I don’t pressure him and leave him alone.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? When I first wake up at around 9 I feed 5 medium crickets and then feed around 5-7 again at around 1-2.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use calcium supplements every other feeding with repticalcium.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a drip system and leave it on for around 30 min 3 times a day. I also do mistings every 2 hours or so and yes I do see him drink.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He has never been tested but his droppings are good color and solid and his urate is white.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen cage, 16x16x30.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I have a UVA and UVB light that came with the zoo med kit. I turn the lights on at 8:30-9 am and turn them off at 8pm.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have 2 thermometers, one at the top of the cage one at the middle/bottom the temps are usually around 78-80 at the top and 73-75 at the bottom/ middle. Overnight without a heater is 62.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I have a humidity thermometer it’s usually 60-70% humidity from the mistings and drip system water staying on the leaves.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have a live pothos plant.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Not in a high traffic area, the top part of the cage is near a window it’s about 5 feet from my floor.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Just concerned about heating and lighting. I’m open to all critiques and just want what’s best :)
Perfect give me a lil bit to go through everything... Can you take a picture of the exact supplements they had you buy?

Ok thank you. Please take a pic of the back of the reptivite package. I need to see if it contains D3.

Ok I am going to redline feedback and questions. Please know this is a lot of information. It is not my intention to overwhelm you but to make sure you have the information needed to be successful in this hobby. :)
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male veiled, 4 months been in my care for around 3 weeks. Who told you it was a male? Do you know how to tell the difference in gender?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I place my hand in for him to get used to me every day but if he does not climb on to me willingly I don’t pressure him and leave him alone. Great, using feeders is a great way to build trust. Here is a link to my blog. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? When I first wake up at around 9 I feed 5 medium crickets and then feed around 5-7 again at around 1-2. So typically you will want to feed in the morning this way they have all day to digest. 12 or so medium feeders a day is good for his age. This changes as they get older.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use calcium supplements every other feeding with repticalcium. You will want to use the calcium without D3 ( repticalcium) at all feedings except 2 times a month when you use calcium with D3 and 2 times a month when you use a mulitvitamin without D3. do this by alternating weeks between the two. I can not tell from the package if the vitamin is with or without D3. So I am going to say don't use it since we do not want a D3 overdose. Now I suggest getting the repticalcium with D3 and then the reptivite without D3 multivitamin. The reptivite has preformed vitamin A in it for eye health.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a drip system and leave it on for around 30 min 3 times a day. I also do mistings every 2 hours or so and yes I do see him drink. Good. Mistkings are amazing auto misting systems. Highly recommend them.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He has never been tested but his droppings are good color and solid and his urate is white. I do suggest getting a fecal to rule out any parasite issue.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen cage, 16x16x30. This will need to be upgraded to a 2x2x4. I love dragonstrand cages because they come with a drip pan and ledges to attach branches and plants up high. But DIY cages are good as well and better quality then reptibreeze.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I have a UVA and UVB light that came with the zoo med kit. I turn the lights on at 8:30-9 am and turn them off at 8pm. So the UVB compact bulb will not work for him. You want a T5HO Fixture with a 5.0 UVB bulb. This should run the width of the cage and be centered. I would get a 24 inch since you need to do a cage upgrade in the next few months.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have 2 thermometers, one at the top of the cage one at the middle/bottom the temps are usually around 78-80 at the top and 73-75 at the bottom/ middle. Overnight without a heater is 62. So this is good. Do you not what the basking spot right below the light is measuring? Are these digital thermometers?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I have a humidity thermometer it’s usually 60-70% humidity from the mistings and drip system water staying on the leaves. what type of hygrometer do you have? Is it digital? Is the 60-70% when you mist or is this the ambient level? You want the humidity around 30-40% with the exception of nights when lights are off and right after misting.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have a live pothos plant. great. Make sure you cover the soil with 1 inch or larger rock to keep him from eating it.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Not in a high traffic area, the top part of the cage is near a window it’s about 5 feet from my floor. No direct sunlight is coming through the window correct? if so this is going to make it too hot having the cage there.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Just concerned about heating and lighting. I’m open to all critiques and just want what’s best

Ok fun links...

This is a members youtube page with great supplemental info https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3n4S2GRkOGfk2U8-xhaw6Q?view_as=subscriber

Amazing podcast. www.chameleonbreeder.com
fantastic website https://chameleonacademy.com/
The best enclosures www.dragonstrand.com He sells the drip pans and the dragon ledges separately for other cage brands as well.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/

And here are images on gutload and feeders. Gutload is very important. :)

chameleon-food(1).jpg

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 70
I feel honored I made into the fun links :)

I'll drop in a handful of videos that you'll find most helpful right now.

Ok I am going to redline feedback and questions. Please know this is a lot of information. It is not my intention to overwhelm you but to make sure you have the information needed to be successful in this hobby. :)
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male veiled, 4 months been in my care for around 3 weeks. Who told you it was a male? Do you know how to tell the difference in gender?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I place my hand in for him to get used to me every day but if he does not climb on to me willingly I don’t pressure him and leave him alone. Great, using feeders is a great way to build trust. Here is a link to my blog. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? When I first wake up at around 9 I feed 5 medium crickets and then feed around 5-7 again at around 1-2. So typically you will want to feed in the morning this way they have all day to digest. 12 or so medium feeders a day is good for his age. This changes as they get older.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use calcium supplements every other feeding with repticalcium. You will want to use the calcium without D3 ( repticalcium) at all feedings except 2 times a month when you use calcium with D3 and 2 times a month when you use a mulitvitamin without D3. do this by alternating weeks between the two. I can not tell from the package if the vitamin is with or without D3. So I am going to say don't use it since we do not want a D3 overdose. Now I suggest getting the repticalcium with D3 and then the reptivite without D3 multivitamin. The reptivite has preformed vitamin A in it for eye health.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a drip system and leave it on for around 30 min 3 times a day. I also do mistings every 2 hours or so and yes I do see him drink. Good. Mistkings are amazing auto misting systems. Highly recommend them.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He has never been tested but his droppings are good color and solid and his urate is white. I do suggest getting a fecal to rule out any parasite issue.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen cage, 16x16x30. This will need to be upgraded to a 2x2x4. I love dragonstrand cages because they come with a drip pan and ledges to attach branches and plants up high. But DIY cages are good as well and better quality then reptibreeze.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I have a UVA and UVB light that came with the zoo med kit. I turn the lights on at 8:30-9 am and turn them off at 8pm. So the UVB compact bulb will not work for him. You want a T5HO Fixture with a 5.0 UVB bulb. This should run the width of the cage and be centered. I would get a 24 inch since you need to do a cage upgrade in the next few months.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have 2 thermometers, one at the top of the cage one at the middle/bottom the temps are usually around 78-80 at the top and 73-75 at the bottom/ middle. Overnight without a heater is 62. So this is good. Do you not what the basking spot right below the light is measuring? Are these digital thermometers?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I have a humidity thermometer it’s usually 60-70% humidity from the mistings and drip system water staying on the leaves. what type of hygrometer do you have? Is it digital? Is the 60-70% when you mist or is this the ambient level? You want the humidity around 30-40% with the exception of nights when lights are off and right after misting.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have a live pothos plant. great. Make sure you cover the soil with 1 inch or larger rock to keep him from eating it.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Not in a high traffic area, the top part of the cage is near a window it’s about 5 feet from my floor. No direct sunlight is coming through the window correct? if so this is going to make it too hot having the cage there.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Just concerned about heating and lighting. I’m open to all critiques and just want what’s best

Ok fun links...

This is a members youtube page with great supplemental info https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3n4S2GRkOGfk2U8-xhaw6Q?view_as=subscriber

Amazing podcast. www.chameleonbreeder.com
fantastic website https://chameleonacademy.com/
The best enclosures www.dragonstrand.com He sells the drip pans and the dragon ledges separately for other cage brands as well.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/

And here are images on gutload and feeders. Gutload is very important. :)

View attachment 263180Thank you so so much for all the information and to answer your question i know it’s a male because on the back of the heel he has a little spur and i’ll be sure to update the lighting and the cage, I was planning on getting a new one sometime this week. And the thermometers are digital and when i do mistings that is the humidity i don’t list at night so the humidity drops then. Much appreciate?

Please do not hesitate to ask questions. Copy and paste what I filled out for you into a word document so you have it as a reference. There is a lot to their husbandry... Also I was going to say do you know what kind of trees you have in your back yard? Looked like some awesome ones. You can take branches off the trees as long as it is not a sap producing tree. give them a wash down then add in the enclosure. :) good luck in your new chameleon adventure.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions. Copy and paste what I filled out for you into a word document so you have it as a reference. There is a lot to their husbandry... Also I was going to say do you know what kind of trees you have in your back yard? Looked like some awesome ones. You can take branches off the trees as long as it is not a sap producing tree. give them a wash down then add in the enclosure. :) good luck in your new chameleon adventure.
I have some manzanita trees that i’ve taken some branches and put in his enclosure that he really likes to climb on :) Thank you again for all your time and help !!

Back
Top Bottom