Please help! Glass Exo Terrarium/ Screened Cage

Correia7

Hello Everybody!

I just recently received my very first Veiled Chameleon "Mango" and I'm very excited! It's been just a shy of four days since I got him and I'm totally concerned already of his very well being:eek:.

I've done a lot of research on chameleons and I hear that glass terrariums are a hassle and somewhat of a health concern if the upkeep is not up to par. Since I had an exo terrarium in my use I thought I'd try it out.

He is fairly young and my observations with the new habitat and friend is that the humidity and temperature are all as they should be. However, my main concern is that he is brown all day long for being stressed:( As I was talking with the pet store owner she told me he practically grew fond of the environment he was in at the pet store (which was also a glass environment).

Maybe I'm just being concerned daddy since every chameleon needs time to adapt to their own new environment however, my main question is should I get an open air cage soon? Or will the sudden change leave my chameleon even more stressed out as it already is?

Another one of my observations is that when Mango is sleeping he turns back to green. I'm not sure if this all helps, but I hope you guys can help me!

He is eating normal when I feed.

He is fairly young and my observations with the new habitat and friend is that the humidity and temperature are all as they should be. However, my main concern is that he is brown all day long for being stressed:( As I was talking with the pet store owner she told me he practically grew fond of the environment he was in at the pet store (which was also a glass environment).

however, my main question is should I get an open air cage soon? Or will the sudden change leave my chameleon even more stressed out as it already is?

Another one of my observations is that when Mango is sleeping he turns back to green. I'm not sure if this all helps, but I hope you guys can help me!

He is eating normal when I feed.

I think he's settling in still and I doubt there's a lot of difference between the Exoterra and all screen in terms of stress. As he gets older he might want more living space and show signs of frustration (cage climbing, constantly roaming). However, if he's displaying or lunging at the glass that's different. Sometimes if the light angle is just right a cham can see a reflection of itself and react constantly at the "intruder". Not all chams do this though. I had a veiled who was very intolerant of reflections. He even learned where reflections lived around the house and would make a patrol to each spot and threaten every rival. Chrome appliances, mirrors, windowpanes, and his cage panels. I tried taping cardboard over the worst offender in his cage, but he would pull the cardboard loose and peer down behind it to find the horrible intruder! Really was funny to watch. He was a great cham.

How old is he? Many veileds go through a brownish phase when they are about 5-6 months old. I know mine did. Then over the next few months he developed his full adult coloration and was fine.

If he's completely brown all over he could be chilled, but if he's eating and acting normally probably not. What are your temps?

It is normal for many species to turn a fairly bright color (green for veileds) when asleep. Sometimes it is their brightest coloration. It is a protective adaptation to look even less like a potential dinner to a predator (showing disruptive alarming patterns) right when they are vulnerable and not able to react to threats.

I think he's settling in still and I doubt there's a lot of difference between the Exoterra and all screen in terms of stress. As he gets older he might want more living space and show signs of frustration (cage climbing, constantly roaming). However, if he's displaying or lunging at the glass that's different. Sometimes if the light angle is just right a cham can see a reflection of itself and react constantly at the "intruder". Not all chams do this though. I had a veiled who was very intolerant of reflections. He even learned where reflections lived around the house and would make a patrol to each spot and threaten every rival. Chrome appliances, mirrors, windowpanes, and his cage panels. I tried taping cardboard over the worst offender in his cage, but he would pull the cardboard loose and peer down behind it to find the horrible intruder! Really was funny to watch. He was a great cham.

How old is he? Many veileds go through a brownish phase when they are about 5-6 months old. I know mine did. Then over the next few months he developed his full adult coloration and was fine.

If he's completely brown all over he could be chilled, but if he's eating and acting normally probably not. What are your temps?

It is normal for many species to turn a fairly bright color (green for veileds) when asleep. Sometimes it is their brightest coloration. It is a protective adaptation to look even less like a potential dinner to a predator (showing disruptive alarming patterns) right when they are vulnerable and not able to react to threats.
Thank you for your time!

From my understanding he is about four months old and the temperature of his basking spot is always around 88-89 degrees while his cool spot is on 75.

I angled the light fixture a bit differently and that actually helped. He wasn't lunging at the glass at all and thats a personality! Today he is looking happy and healthy. I'm almost positive I want to upgrade when he grows, but for now I think he is fine with his space.

Back
Top Bottom