please help! Chameleon having weird movements

We got him out to handle and he was just fine I had gotten him out this morning for a few minutes and he was perfectly fine but this time he was fine at first but then he started freaking out I guess? Honestly don’t know how to explain it his back legs almost couldn’t grip on I guess and he was rocking back and forth?? Like I don’t even know how to explain it I started freaking out and so I closed my eyes and my boyfriend got him from me and he still did it on him but now he’s in his cage and he seems perfectly fine??

Information of Cham and husbandry:
Male veiled chameleon about 5-6 months old
He has 60w zoo med basking bulb and a zoo med uvb coiled bulb
Not yet gotten him a plant but will be getting one soon
Hand misted several times a day and has a small Bowl of water shaped like a rock he drinks from occasionally
When is sunny and warm outside we take him out for about 20-30 minutes but it’s cold and cloudy now so haven’t in a few days
Calcium powder dusted on feeders every day and vitamins every two weeks

We still haven’t been able to get that uvb the one he has is the coiled repti sun one that comes in the kit the calcium powder he has is the one without d3 and the vitamins are the zoo meds reptivite

We still haven’t been able to get that uvb the one he has is the coiled repti sun one that comes in the kit the calcium powder he has is the one without d3 and the vitamins are the zoo meds reptivite
Those are good and correct supplements. Are you by chance in a warm climate that you’ll still be able to take him outside for some sun? The holidays are coming…maybe someone will get you the correct uvb for them (I hope). Little man is at risk for mbd without that light and it does effect neurological (brain) function which is usually seen as abnormal body movements like back feet grabbing front ones and such. Are you sure he didn’t just get spooked? Maybe it was a running leaf walk?

Those are good and correct supplements. Are you by chance in a warm climate that you’ll still be able to take him outside for some sun? The holidays are coming…maybe someone will get you the correct uvb for them (I hope). Little man is at risk for mbd without that light and it does effect neurological (brain) function which is usually seen as abnormal body movements like back feet grabbing front ones and such. Are you sure he didn’t just get spooked? Maybe it was a running leaf walk?
We live in Alabama and right now it’s really cold because of the winter and im not sure it will warm up I will have to keep an eye on the weather. Also I didn’t even think to ask for the light for Christmas that’s a PERFECT idea. It didn’t seem like he was spooked, it was like he just couldn’t move or grip with his back legs. Im not sure how to explain it he was crawling from my right hand onto my left palm and when he put his back legs on my fingers he just started doing it I thought it was some kind of chameleon seizure or something when my boyfriend picked him up he did it on his hand too so we put him in his enclosure and now he’s crawling around in there with no problem.

Hopefully it will warm up a bit for you and you can take him outside. He really needs uvb, either from the sun or a proper bulb.
I’m going to recommend the Arcadia Pro T5 with a 6% uvb bulb. The bulb is good for a year vs the ReptiSun which is only good for 6 months. I use the Arcadia bulbs and mine are lasting about 14-15 months (I have a solarmeter to check output).
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...tile-prot5-uv-b-kit-65058.html?fmethod=Search

682FB51E-10EE-49DE-BE52-6005FD896875.jpeg

The kit comes with the fixture and the bulb, which is why it’s so expensive. The bulb alone is only about $20 and needs to be replaced yearly.

We appreciate it. Hopefully it’s not too expensive for our parents 😂 hopefully they’ll have grace since it’s for Christmas 🎅
I hope it’s doable for them. Times are tough lately. :( You may be able to find a working T5 ho fixture on Facebook marketplace or Craig’sList to save a little. Then just buy a new bulb. I hesitate to suggest anything other than the accepted standards, but even this would be better than the coil uvb. https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...6a-832e-03dda23a3610&pd_rd_i=B00M9ONY1W&psc=1 The standard is to have the uvb span the width of the enclosure, but it would be better to have one that is too short that still has the correct output and range than the coil which does little to nothing.

Back
Top Bottom