Please help chameleon eye problem!

ChalmersTheCham

So I have been looking around alot in the forums trying to find experiences peoe have had with this and I have found some however that do have somewhat of the same problem. I have tried to find the template to input my husbandry info but can't seem to locate it. If someone has the link I will happily fill it out, I just want him to get better.

So the problem is that there is a lump in his eye. It's been there for a little over a week... maybe closer to two. So I went to the vet and they looked at it and said it didn't seem to bother him too much... which seems true to me because he hasn't been scratching at it ( until this morning... took him to the vet last night) they prescribed and anti inflammatory drop but I really don't tho k that is going to much of anything. They also recommended giving him a warm bath kind of thing, using a warm compress, and trying to rinse the eye with warm water every now and then. So I did that this morning and took a closer look at it. Someone with a similar problem said that they used a warm wet q tip to kind push the ball closer to the eye led and see what it was and if it could come out. I tried that very gently and I could see the object.. It's like a semi hard ball shaped obstruction and it is too hard to fit through the eye lid to get it out... I'm getting desperate and really want him to be ok... I'm waiting for a response back from the vet and hopefully they will seem him again today.. I dunno what's going on... It's my first cham but I am following the cham husbandry ideal care and cage setup exactly and I'm jist worried. Other than that he seems very fit and healthy. Please help.. I know I have to take him back the vet but any info on what this could be past an infection/ vit a deficiency/ something stuck in the eye would be highly appreciated. This bump is very big

Attachments

• 1536329910074800339183.jpg
    1536329910074800339183.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 1536329957652560834351.jpg
    1536329957652560834351.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 105
So I have been looking around alot in the forums trying to find experiences peoe have had with this and I have found some however that do have somewhat of the same problem. I have tried to find the template to input my husbandry info but can't seem to locate it. If someone has the link I will happily fill it out, I just want him to get better.

So the problem is that there is a lump in his eye. It's been there for a little over a week... maybe closer to two. So I went to the vet and they looked at it and said it didn't seem to bother him too much... which seems true to me because he hasn't been scratching at it ( until this morning... took him to the vet last night) they prescribed and anti inflammatory drop but I really don't tho k that is going to much of anything. They also recommended giving him a warm bath kind of thing, using a warm compress, and trying to rinse the eye with warm water every now and then. So I did that this morning and took a closer look at it. Someone with a similar problem said that they used a warm wet q tip to kind push the ball closer to the eye led and see what it was and if it could come out. I tried that very gently and I could see the object.. It's like a semi hard ball shaped obstruction and it is too hard to fit through the eye lid to get it out... I'm getting desperate and really want him to be ok... I'm waiting for a response back from the vet and hopefully they will seem him again today.. I dunno what's going on... It's my first cham but I am following the cham husbandry ideal care and cage setup exactly and I'm jist worried. Other than that he seems very fit and healthy. Please help.. I know I have to take him back the vet but any info on what this could be past an infection/ vit a deficiency/ something stuck in the eye would be highly appreciated. This bump is very big
Also he is still eating his poops are normal and his urates are white

• Your Chameleon - male veiled chameleon, I believe 6 to 8 months old, it has been in my care for 3 weeks
  • Handling - a couple times a week
  • Feeding - he is fed mostly crickets, some super worms, blue berries occasionally, 6 to 7 crickets dusted in the morning and 6 to 7 crickets at night very lightly dusted. I do gut load with pangea cricket food, it's for alot of good natural stuff in it
  • Supplements - I use reptical without d3 everyday, i use minerall every two weeks and the following two weeks i will use reptivite.
  • Watering - i have a dripper that i dont ise very often, I am able to mist his cage frequently and he stays well hydrated through that (his urates are white) however i do not seem him drink
  • Fecal Description - he goes poo very regularly and it is brown and fairly solid, his grates are sometimes really liquid but always white most of the time.. They are never totally yellow and never orange. He has not been tested for parasites however
  • History - didn't get much previous info as I got him from petco

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I built the cage myself out of wood and mostly aluminum mesh, two sides are plastic/ fiber mesh it is 4' x 2 1/2' x 2 1/2'
  • Lighting - so I use the zoo med combo light setup with a reptisun 5.0 bulb style and I upped the heat bulb to a dull spectrum 75w, I also bought a zill linear t8 15w because I didn't think the bulb style uvb is all that good except for one concentrated spot. Now that he has a bigger cage I am planning on buying a t5ho high wattage because the cage is so big. The schedule is light on at 9am and lights off at 9ish pm
  • Temperature - the basking temp is always in between 85f to 90f, mid level in cage is around 75f, and floor of cage is usually in between 68 to 72, I think the lowest temp it gets at night is high 60s to mid low 70s, I have three thermometers, one electronic pretty much in the basking spot to measure that temp, one analog mid level and one electronic on the cage floor,
  • Humidity - usually the cage stays around 50 to 70% humidity, the thermometers also read humidity (2 electronic and one analog) they measure around 50 to 55% around basking area / top of cage, 55 to 60% mid level of cage, and 65 to 70% bottom of cage. I achieve this through misting mostly
  • Plants - I have an umbrella tree in there that is very full and bushy for good cover for him, I have a pothos that he eats sometimes, and a croton
  • Placement - the cage Is located in the living room not near any vents, however it Is a high traffic area this is hard to avoid as I live in an apartment so there isn't a ton of room for a big cage like this and I have 2 dogs, the cage stand 4ft 2 inches off the floor
  • Location - Alexandria Virginia right outside D.C.

Current Problem - as stated above a hug bump/ ball like obstruction in his eye

Attachments

• 1536331973575183958763.jpg
    1536331973575183958763.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 1536332004672328933758.jpg
    1536332004672328933758.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 15363320275541023319737.jpg
    15363320275541023319737.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 89
Oh yea and last note, the lump is able to move around in the eye and it has been there close to two weeks and has seemed to get bigger... Please help.. upon further research it seem like it could be an abcess... here is a picture of his urate... I don't think this is normal, this is also a recent development..

Attachments

• 1536333513775153582057.jpg
    1536333513775153582057.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Thanks man, I got back in touch with my doctor and they transferred his case to a vet in the same practice that only deals with reptiles and has owned bunches of panther chameleons for a long time, he says he loves this forum lol. So I'm feeling better about things and feel like I'm in good hands. I only saw the other vet cause she was the only exotic vet on duty last night at 830pm

Back
Top Bottom