Please help asap

Astryxxx

So I just recently got a chameleon (valentine's day). He's a veiled chameleon, not exact on his age but I'd imagine under 6 months of age as he still looks quite small and I believe they told me he was a juvenile.

About 45 minutes ago I went to check on him and I noticed he was very dark, not quite black but close. I immediately freaked and started thinking of reasons why. His cage temp was in the high 70's and his humidity level was in the low 50's. I had fed him about an hour earlier but I don't think he ate any crickets though last night he ate a ton (around 10). I turned the fan on in the room he's in because it did feel very hot which brought his temp down to the low 70's and I misted him so his humidity level is around 70%. His eyes don't look sunken in at all but his skin looks pretty dry. He's also not too lethargic, he didn't move for a little bit but when I misted the cage he took off like a bat out of heck and I've noticed him a moving a decent amount.

Here a few pictures of him currently:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 113
Well you may have stressed him with the fan, I know that my old fan stressed my chameleon out, I don't think you need to worry, he should be bak to his normal self shortly

1 Panther, 1 Carpet

Really? I just checked on him again and he's on a brown branch back to the extremely dark coloration. Here's a picture:

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 112
Is not a big deal usually they will turn dark in color when they want to catch rays, it helps absorbe the UVB/a rays. I also have a chameleon about 5 months your little guy looks about 4 months of age if that helps very cute let me know if I can assist you in anything else thanks

Just remember to treat his water if you use tap water I use Poland spring bottled water that way there's no guessing just to be safe

Similar to above

I just got a baby panther. He does the same thing. Seems random sometimes. Just keep monitoring his habits, and all will be well. Cute little guy btw!

you did not mention a basking light at all, he should have lights on for 12 hrs and lights off for 12 hrs every day, get them on a timer, also get a light dome with a dimmer, petsmart sells them pretty cheap for under 20 dollars, and put a 60 watt bulb in it and place it over the highest area in the cage, his basking temp where his back will be should be around 90 degrees, he wasnt to hot, instead he was turning black because he was nervous or to cold, so black absorbs heat better.

I have 2 lights, a UVA and UVB, I just moved them so they're over the highest point in the cage. Do I turn both lights off for 12 hours and both lights on for 12 hours or do I keep one on 24 hours?

no lights or heat or night. Unless your room is going to get below 50, no heat. Also, your chameleon looks to be about 2 months old. I am trying to compare him to the size of the leaves and he looks really small. No way is he/she six months old. Does the back of his back feet have the little bumps on them? They are called tarsal spurs, and only the males have them.

Back
Top Bottom