Plants!

caroline?

Avid Member
Hi everyone so a lot of the plants that are on the safe for chameleons list i have struggled to keep alive and i have a few plants that are in my enclosure and thriving but they are not on the safe list, none of them are sap producing and i've seen other people use them before.

does anyone have any plants that you put in your cage that aren't very common for having in chameleon enclosures?

plants that i have in my enclosure (not veiled tested)
• split leaf philodendron
•Dracaena fragrans
i forgot the other ones oops

the Dracaena fragrans has been under my dripper and hasn't had much natural light and it's thriving!

Hi everyone so a lot of the plants that are on the safe for chameleons list i have struggled to keep alive and i have a few plants that are in my enclosure and thriving but they are not on the safe list, none of them are sap producing and i've seen other people use them before.

does anyone have any plants that you put in your cage that aren't very common for having in chameleon enclosures?

•Dracaena fragrans

the Dracaena fragrans has been under my dripper and hasn't had much natural light and it's thriving!
I’m putting a mulberry tree and a dwarf crepe myrtle in my upcoming bioactive build for a new cham (60” x 30” x 78” tall- 60” cage height and 18” substrate bin). Have you checked FL Chams’ plant safe list? They have a huge list!

I’m putting a mulberry tree and a dwarf crepe myrtle in my upcoming bioactive build for a new cham (60” x 30” x 78” tall- 60” cage height and 18” substrate bin). Have you checked FL Chams’ plant safe list? They have a huge list!
i haven't! do you have a link you could send me?

•Dracaena fragrans

split leaf philodendron is of the Monstera family and those are OK. Do you know why the others died?
Dracaena fragrans should be fine, my birds have eaten it.

Usually it is lighting that is needed. Second culprit for plants is either flooded out because the pot holds water and does not drain. More common is to dry out because we assume they are getting enough water, but the misting does not soak the soil. Both you mentioned can tolerate dry and low light.

i forget to water them most of the time and their cage doesn't get too much light bc it makes my chameleons overheat if i have the windows open

i forget to water them most of the time and their cage doesn't get too much light bc it makes my chameleons overheat if i have the windows open

Plant led light will be your best easies option. You can get the type that screw into a regulars dome. Even one will make a difference.
And remember to water. I have the same problem as you. I forget because it seem like they are getting water. I now just have my plants on a schedule as well.

IDK, but I doubt it. It's not difficult enough that we're keeping exotic reptiles, you want exotic plants too? :LOL:

When you think about it, it's surprising that we don't all have the exact same list of plants; they have to be:
  • Chameleon safe
  • Have the right size requirements (height & diameter)
  • Be tolerant of high humidity
  • Have the right light requirements
  • Have the right water requirements
That's a pretty tall order.

I have:
  • Dracaena fragrans (Mass cane)
  • Ficus benjamina (Weeping fig)
  • Schefflera arboricola (Umbrella plant)
  • Tradescantia pallida (Wandering Jew)
  • Epipremnum aureum (Golden pothos)
  • Dracaena trifasciata (Snake plant)
  • Nepenthes (Not sure which species)
  • Hedera helix (Variegated English ivy) but that's coming out.
and several others standing by... in case.

We treat misting & watering separately. The mister handles the former automatically, and the lady with the green thumbs (Missus) does the watering along with the rest of her plants.

I agree with LED plant lights; they (typically) don't generate much heat, but make a world of difference in plant growth & health.

Back
Top Bottom